What's new

Travel Razor recommendations

This was the first time I travelled with carry-on since starting to shave with either a Straight or DE.

I grabbed my last 5-blade wonder-jobbie razor (with trimmer blade) and took it with me and I couldn't believe how large it was and how much pressure I needed to exude on the blade to get a decent shave. While I'm not going to complain of the results: I found the methods to be so far out from what I've been doing in recent shaving history.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a travel razor that's effective for coarse hair, long lasting (since I'll forget it in my luggage) yet with a much smaller shaving head?

I did have a little trepidation that the shave I got from that blade was so close that I'd not be able to replicate it with my straight razor. Sure enough: this morning's shave was just as close.

I've been using a Shick ST 1 disposable it give a decent shave but clogs easily. I'm going back to a Trac II (Actually it's European cousin the 7 O'Clock PII and some Personna twin blade carts.) the Trac II gives a decent shave and Personna blades work well for me and don't irritate my face.

proxy.php

Gillette GII/Trac II

Small head profile, not a gargantuan number of blades, and cartridges are reasonably priced.

When I travel with a carry-on, I also resorted to carrying of the 5 blade machines. Couldn't stand using it and missed the results I received from my DE. So I started packing my regular razor and mailed my blades to either the hotel I was staying at our our local company office. Bit more hassle, but well worth the shaving results!

When I traveled I would ship my blades via post to the hotel I was staying at with the intention of using and disposing of them there. I would mail them taped in some card stock to protect the postal handler and also use that when throwing them out so the cleaners wouldn't have an issue. Otherwise I'd carry my usual DE razor (no blades), Brush (in a baggie), and soap puck.

Once going through Heathrow they pulled my carry-on aside, they were looking for my shaving soap puck. So I'd buy a tube of cream or a smaller travel puck. They didn't like my Pre de Provence soap/tin. Though once they found it the guy rolled his eyes and sent me on my way.

I use the little three piece Merkur. I don't think there is a smaller razor set made. I think it has the same head as a 34c.

Like others have said, mailing ahead of time is a great idea. I do this if my trip is going to be longer than a weekend hop somewhere. If it's going to be just a couple nights, I do the Bic single blade disposable. DFS everytime.

I can't imagine mailing blades so I can shave with my DE. I guess I'm fortunate to be able to get great results with a disposable Sensor 3 or a m
Mach 3. Don't get me wrong, I love my DE but I like the simplicity of packing what I need. I'm not even sure I'll be using my brush and soap on my next trip. I have some C.O. Bigelow canned foam that actually gives a pretty nice shave.

Personally, I carry a safety razor (a 3 piece razors can usually be stowed together with my electric toothbrush in the toothbrush container), but I know of experienced traditional wet shavers who take on these occasions a Bic Sensitive 1-blade disposable razor and report good results.

B.

Normally I would agree, but when you're on business and need to look you're best you don't want to take a chance on breaking your routine. Plus, if you're going multiple time zones routine may be all you have. :)

I can't imagine mailing blades so I can shave with my DE. I guess I'm fortunate to be able to get great results with a disposable Sensor 3 or a m
Mach 3. Don't get me wrong, I love my DE but I like the simplicity of packing what I need. I'm not even sure I'll be using my brush and soap on my next trip. I have some C.O. Bigelow canned foam that actually gives a pretty nice shave.

My shave at home is done in the early morning when everyone else is asleep. Because I have the time to do everything right, I am comfortable using an aggressive setup - the ATT S2 with a Feather or Polsilver.

On the road is a different story. I don't have as much time and I don't take all of my prep stuff (and I don't want my precious S2 to disappear when the airlines lose my luggage.). I travel with a mild Gillette Tech, a few blades, a synthetic brush and shaving cream. It is easy and fast. I have to do several passes to get a great shave, but I can easily live with that. I almost always check luggage, so the blades are not a problem.

There's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
― W.C. Fields

... Does anyone have a recommendation for a travel razor that's effective for coarse hair, long lasting (since I'll forget it in my luggage) yet with a much smaller shaving head?
This is my setup, for carry on with the blue two blade disposable and for checked baggage the British Tech with the flat bottom and the B&B leather holster.

Please note the mirror under the hardware and the travel tube for the 23 mm Mühle STF2 to the right.

Last edited by a moderator:

My thoughts as well. When I travel with only carry on : it's for business and short notice. Mailing blades is quite an inconvenience I'd rather skip. If, however, there's a store nearby that I know I could buy them: that would be considered.

I do bring my brush for travel. I plan to get a dedicated travel brush eventually but, for now, I take my daily boar.

In the past I would just buy any off the shelf disposable 3 blade cart razor for business trips.

I always stow my shaving gear in my checked luggage so in the future I'll be packing a DE and some Gillette Silver Blue's.

When flying I have a single blade BIC disposable (the orange one) in my carry on, when by car, I usually pack a cheap Lord L5 (Tech clone). Both work well, but the BIC can be a bit rough at times - depends on quality control.

Top Bottom