What's new

Travel razor questions

Hello, new here from Houston. I have been trying to get a perfect safety travel razor. I thought I had it with the Merkur 45 Bakelite. But the brass screw came loose from the head. So I emailed Merkur and they sent me a new head. I supposed I over tightened and set forth to not tighten so much. But this head also separated from the brass screw. So I drilled out the hole and put the screw in tight with epoxy to secure it. That worked, but my drill hole wasn't straight. So one razor side was good, the other, the pitch was off and scrapped like mad. I bought an old Gillette Tech, but found it way too short handled. Did I just get 2 bad apples with the 45? I have a trip planned with the wife coming up. I've found that the Gillette head will screw into the 45 handle. Perhaps that's the ticket. But I'm willing to hear any thoughts or suggestions.

Welcome to B&B!

Merkur razors are made of Zamak metal which tends to corrode over time. They need to be taken apart and dried, which may extend its life.

Brass, Stainless Steel, or even Aluminum are better metals than Zamak.

Hello and welcome. Great to have to you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

We were in Houston 2 weeks ago for the big rodeo. Our first time. Man, what an extravaganza.

LOL, I haven't been to the rodeo since HS, and I've lived here all my life. People love it though.

Don't know your time frame or budget, but try an Edwin Jagger Long Handle. It's a mild-medium, closed comb razor that performs very well. It's a 3 piece razor, so that should make it easier to pack. Price point is ~$45.00.
Welcome to B&B and happy hunting for the razor. Safe travels, as well.

Mikey

I'm going to second the Black Beauty super adjustable. If you like the long handle and wand a solid razor, they are just the best.

On the other hand, your combination of tech head and Bakelite razor is also an excellent combination of it shaves you well.

A truth here is that not only may your experience vary, it will vary. there are multitudes of razor combinations that will vary their shave with different soaps and such. If you like the shave with it that is awesome!
The reason adjustable a are so highly suggested is that they better allow a variety of differences. Some guys change the adjustment for different passes in the same shave.

I'm gonna try out my frankenrazor today. The only thing I've noticed weird since putting it together is that the combo is very head heavy, which may be good or bad, I'm not sure yet. But it is interesting looking.

I've found the PAA bakelite slant with an Astra SP blade is a great shave and great for travel. The handle is the same length as the Merkur 45. If you want a longer handle the Feather popular is a butterfly open it's cheap and it comes in a case. It's not as efficient as the Merkur or the PAA.

Unless you use one of those super expensive stainless steel razors or some kind of unobtainium you do not want to risk losing, just use during traveling what you normally shave with.

Why put money on a razor just meant for traveling? The risk of the razor getting lost is still pretty small... and if it would get lost, then buy a new razor for those money you anyway would have lost on buying and testing traveling razors.

Going off the reviews it seems to be a common problem. I'm happy enough using my pre-war tech 3-piece in a homemade travel case made out of an Altoids tin for travel and work.

Unless you use one of those super expensive stainless steel razors or some kind of unobtainium you do not want to risk losing, just use during traveling what you normally shave with.

Why put money on a razor just meant for traveling? The risk of the razor getting lost is still pretty small... and if it would get lost, then buy a new razor for those money you anyway would have lost on buying and testing traveling razors.
I went out of state to visit my daughter at Christmas and took an older cheap Tech. I thought I would place it and my other shaving kit in her medicine cabinet to keep it out of her way. Well it's march 27th and it is still there, so I'm happy that I did not take one of my best or favorite razors on the trip. I am a fan of a travel razor.

Travel razors are difficult. Here is my approach, which may not be for everyone, or even most:

1. I do not want to lose a top notch shaver, so I leave my favorites at home.
2. For air travel I have given up transporting DEs because TSA is simply too difficult and unpredictable.
3. On a road trip, I bring a razor that I would not mind loosing/breaking in a leather B&B case that I bought from WCS. Most recently this is a Lord which works reasonably well for me.

Ok, I tried the frankenrazor and have a report. It's not bad. It shaves like the Gillette, which isn't bad. My only problem with the Tech was the handle being so short made me hold it at a bad angle that wasn't prime. The mismatch of weight, the Tech head is pretty heavy, and the 45 handle is very light, did make for a strange balance. It wasn't hard to deal with, and I'm sure with some practice it would easily be compensated for, but it was worth mentioning. How the look of it is something else, it's like a bad dog mix, like that Pit Bull/Weenie Dog you see. LOL But hey, if I lost it on a trip, it's half broken razor and half razor that didn't work for me. So no biggie.

I spent the past 10 years traveling a bit for work. Like others, for air travel I just bring my Mach 3 along with all the rest of my gear. When going by car I have a dedicated travel razor that I don't mind if it got lost. A Razorock DE89 clone head (Mission?) on an EJ DE89 Chrome handle. I like it because it's a heavy solid handle, more so than my knurled handle version which is hollow and lighter. On second thought, maybe I should bring the knurled handle on the road instead. Hmmmmm.........

If I check my bag which I usually do I take a Muhle or Maggard or whatever as well as a brush and tube of proraso. If I'm living out of a carry on I have the Gillette plastic safety razor and buy a can of shave cream, some dollar general brand witch hazel, blades and knock off old spice when I get there. I leave it behind when I'm done and out maybe 5 bucks minus what I used. I travel a lot via delta and have gotten it down to a science.

Top Bottom