What's new

Travel Razor Choice Dilemma

I have been doing the DE thing for about a year now and loving every minute of it. Fortunately I don't have AD so I pretty much stick to one of 3 razors for now and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Feathers are the only blade for me.

The best shave I get is with my Slim Adjustable, set at 7-9 and a Feather. 2 passes and some touch up and I am light years ahead of anything else I've tried so far which is a 1959 Fat Boy & Feather or a 60's vintage Super Speed & Derby which I assume is related to aggressiveness and blade choice.

So here's my dilemma:

I want to buy a travel DE razor. I realize that I could use anything but somehow something that comes apart and packs small has a coolness factor I am having a hard time resisting. I am looking at the Merkur Travel Razor but I was wondering about an open comb versus a regular safety bar.

Something tells me the Merkur Travel Razor with a regular safety bar is not as aggressive as a Slim Adjustable set at 7 so my brain tells me that I may be better off with the open comb version of the Merkur. I've never shaved with an open comb razor but I feel pretty good about my technique and my ability to navigate with Feathers at the most aggressive settings on my adjustable.

Looking for input for the more experienced shavers out there.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Almost any razor can be a "travel razor" if you put it in a container and take it along.

Buying a specifically made travel razor tends to up prices a bit just for the name sake.

There are plenty of open comb and solid guard razors for sale on the BST which you could make your travel razor, and with a very low price for purchase, are not worrisome about loss during travel.

Have you considered any of the 3 piece Gillettes? They all break down and take up very little space, and are all great shavers, from the Old Types to the Techs.

Good Luck on your search.

Go to the dollar store and buy a plastic travel soap dish. Put your favorite razor in it and poof...a travel safe razor!

I've been pondering this very question (minus aggressiveness). I want a small take down travel razor for my Dopp Kit (have a '72 Gillette Travel, but prefer a longer handle). I have the Open Comb Merkur sitting in a cart on West Coast Shaving's site. Coolness factor as you've said, the little leather case and tiny package are quite appealing.

And yet if I were to go somewhere for a week or more, I know I'd be taking along another razor or three, in the above mentioned soap containers (which I've got a dozen or more of now), or in another case.

Why do I still want the Merkur? A. My Dopp Kit is quite small, and I want to keep it compact (other razors would go in a carry on if flying Commercial). B. For an overnight or even 2-3 day trip, it will be just fine. C. I want the Kit set up independently as a "grab-n-go" bag, without thought of packing (checking contents still advisable). D. Any other reason I can think of to further enable my RAD :biggrin: (see the quote in my signature :wink:). I'm getting the Merkur. When I go on vacation this year, I'm sure I'll use it at lease once :tongue:.

This one is great, ultra small and shaves well.

proxy.php

Before restoration
proxy.php

Got a back up on e-bay for about $15 shipped :biggrin:

I have been doing the DE thing for about a year now and loving every minute of it. Fortunately I don't have AD so I pretty much stick to one of 3 razors for now and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Feathers are the only blade for me.

The best shave I get is with my Slim Adjustable, set at 7-9 and a Feather. 2 passes and some touch up and I am light years ahead of anything else I've tried so far which is a 1959 Fat Boy & Feather or a 60's vintage Super Speed & Derby which I assume is related to aggressiveness and blade choice.

So here's my dilemma:

I want to buy a travel DE razor. I realize that I could use anything but somehow something that comes apart and packs small has a coolness factor I am having a hard time resisting. I am looking at the Merkur Travel Razor but I was wondering about an open comb versus a regular safety bar.

Something tells me the Merkur Travel Razor with a regular safety bar is not as aggressive as a Slim Adjustable set at 7 so my brain tells me that I may be better off with the open comb version of the Merkur. I've never shaved with an open comb razor but I feel pretty good about my technique and my ability to navigate with Feathers at the most aggressive settings on my adjustable.

Looking for input for the more experienced shavers out there.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

For some reason, I've found the merk travel to be super agressive on my face which is odd since I love the merk classic & 1904. FAIK, it's the same head... maybe I got a bad one. Anyhow, I travel with a Tech (using the travel handle from the merk travel) since they're inexpensive to replace in the event of loss or damage. My shave isn't quite what I get with my merk, but it's vacation/travel so I don't worry about it.

I have a Merkur travel, I don't use it much since I got into straight razors but it is a fantastic little razor for travelling. Compact, light and as you say, it does have the coolness factor.

Even compared to an HD however (which I regard as middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness) it's a good deal milder and although I've never tried a gilette adjustable I strongly suspect from your comment that you will find the safety bar version to mild for your liking.

I understand that the open comb version is more aggressive and therefore think that this might suit you better. Also it might be worth looking for an "antique" I believe Muhle made a travel razor with an almost identical design at one time but that it was considerably more aggressive.

Finally - I always found the mildness of my Merkur travel to be a plus - I'd get to a hotel tired, be using harder/softer water than I was used to, be using soap/cream that I only used when travelling, etc and it's easy to make mistakes under those circumstances which you wouldn't usually. OK so I might not get a perfect BBS but the razor would do a pretty good job and forgive any minor sins.

Normally when I travel, I just do the canned cream & Sensor Excel thing because of time constraints. A one pass WTG with an Sensor is good enough 90% of the time. Based on that, the size of what I pack isn't an issue either when it comes to a travel.

I just figured that on those days when I'm away from home and COULD have the time to get a nice DE shave, how could I come closest to the shave I get at home using something OTHER than what I use at home.

I bought a really nice 1950's version of a Gillette Travel Razor in a sweet matal box but the blade gap on the razor looks way too conservative to me to expect a good shave with my normal 2 passes which is why I am considering the Mekur Travel.

So my question remains:

Mekur Travel Open Comb > < or = to a Gillette Adjustable set on 7-9

OR

Merkur Travel Razor Regular Safety Bar > < or = to a Gillette Adjustable set on 7-9?

If the shave from either will be not even close, (pardon the pun), I may just explore the regular DE in a soap case thing but for now, that little leather cased Merkur has piqued my interest.

Normally when I travel, I just do the canned cream & Sensor Excel thing because of time constraints. A one pass WTG with an Sensor is good enough 90% of the time. Based on that, the size of what I pack isn't an issue either when it comes to a travel.

I just figured that on those days when I'm away from home and COULD have the time to get a nice DE shave, how could I come closest to the shave I get at home using something OTHER than what I use at home.

I bought a really nice 1950's version of a Gillette Travel Razor in a sweet matal box but the blade gap on the razor looks way too conservative to me to expect a good shave with my normal 2 passes which is why I am considering the Mekur Travel.

So my question remains:

Mekur Travel Open Comb > < or = to a Gillette Adjustable set on 7-9

OR

Merkur Travel Razor Regular Safety Bar > < or = to a Gillette Adjustable set on 7-9?

If the shave from either will be not even close, (pardon the pun), I may just explore the regular DE in a soap case thing but for now, that little leather cased Merkur has piqued my interest.

Most likely, what you've got there is a travel Tech. Just use a really sharp blade (I prefer Astra Super Plat.) and you should be just fine.

I have both of the Merkur travel razors. The straight bar and the open comb. They break down into that small leather pouch, and I take along both when I travel. They don't take up any room in my dopp kit.

I get a great shave from either, but I tend to use the open comb if I have a 3 day or more growth of beard. I could get by with just the straight bar, but the open comb puts the blade closer to the skin, and for longer whiskers I feel it works better for me. :w00t: :thumbup1: :ladysman: :a22:

I've been pondering this very question (minus aggressiveness). I want a small take down travel razor for my Dopp Kit (have a '72 Gillette Travel, but prefer a longer handle).
SNIP:
teh longer handle bit should be easy to solve if you know any one with a machine shop just have them CNC you a hew one with the same thread on the top of the handle.

teh longer handle bit should be easy to solve if you know any one with a machine shop just have them CNC you a hew one with the same thread on the top of the handle.

Or I could pull a handle off one of my several too many Tech's! (Seems like anytime an eBay Seller has an empty case to sell, they throw a Tech in it! Of course, they're inexpensive and plentiful, that'd be why). Or, I could get with Bob and have a custom one done up, but neither option accomplishes what I'm after, everything in that tiny little leather case. The Merkur is one answer for me, and with the two piece handle, fits the bill perfectly. Odd really, 'cause I seem to prefer really old Gillettes.

Get the open comb. When you're traveling--especially if you're on a business trip by yourself--the sound of the razor shearing off your beard will add something to your morning shave. I don't get that so much with the safety bar.

Don't rule out the soap dish either. Once the novelty of the travel razor wears out, it's nice to have one of your favorites with you. If the soap box seems too rinky-dink, maybe you could find a craftsman who does leather work and have them make you a case (or do it yourself).

I agree with the Feather Portable. Extremely durable with a nice travel case.

FWIW, I just take a yellow Bic disposable with me. That way I don't have to worry about sending blades before hand, or checking in a bag. If I were driving to my destination I would take any of my DE, SE or straights.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the open comb Merkur Travel Razor along with a Vulfix Turnback Travel Brush.

Hopefully they arrive before a scheduled trip next weekend.

Thanks all for the input.

Top Bottom