What's new

Travel razor advice

I just converted to DE wetshaving and I'm hooked. I travel 1-2 times a month and have been researching what to bring. On the subject or razors I've seen Bic Sensitive disposables, Bump Fighter with TracII, or just use cartridges. Mailing blades ahead or buying blades at destination is not reliable for me so I'm looking for other advice/experience on razors for short 2-3 day trips.

Thanks in advance for the kind advice.

I usually pack a DE with a couple DE blades in CARRY ON, along with a bump fighter/trac II as a backup. Note, it has been established on here that you're not allowed to carry DE blades on carry on...BUT, mine have slipped through three times. I figure if TSA catches them and tosses them, i'm out $0.25 and can use the cartrige razor instead.

I can't be bothered with trying to search for blades where-ever I go.

I just went to Samoa for 2 weeks and took a Lord 3 piece and a superspeed that I had bought cheaply with a stack of Lord blades.

The Lord 3-piece stays in my toilet bag ( you call them Dopp bags in USA????) along with a tube of shaving cream my not-so-favourite brush and other stuff ready for travel.

Good catch! I do not check bags and, yes, I fly for my trips. Great advice thus far. Keep em rolling. Thanks!

I usually pack a DE with a couple DE blades in CARRY ON, along with a bump fighter/trac II as a backup. Note, it has been established on here that you're not allowed to carry DE blades on carry on...BUT, mine have slipped through three times. I figure if TSA catches them and tosses them, i'm out $0.25 and can use the cartrige razor instead.

I do the same, except I travel a lot more. Note that " it has been established on here " means that some of our members feel strongly -- not that there has been a definitive ruling from TSA (different agents interpret the ambiguous wording of the rules differently).

I really wish that people like you would not create messages like this encouraging others to break the law.

I do the same, except I travel a lot more. Note that " it has been established on here " means that some of our members feel strongly -- not that there has been a definitive ruling from TSA (different agents interpret the ambiguous wording of the rules differently).

There very much has been a definitive ruling from the TSA about DE blades in carry on luggage.

I challenge you and everyone else who doubts me to call the TSA Contact Center directly at 1-866-289-9673 and talk to the representative there about razor blades in carry on luggage.

I have spoken directly with them on the phone about this issue three years ago, so I am certain what answer you'll get from them.

I don't even want to take a chance losing a favorite razor or having a hassle at the airport. A DE shave (to me, anyway) is not that important for a few days of travel.

A Bump Fighter/Personna Twin II is a great travel/or even daily set-up. It's a quality made product that you can more than get by with. I have had good luck with Bic Sensitive Disposables also, much like a DE shave.

Some people have positive comments on the Bic Metal Disposables also. I havn't tried those yet.

I want to blow thru airport security and get where I'm going. Arguing or pleading with a security person just isn't worth it. In this case it's a big YMMV...

Marty E.

look, I am by no means encouraging law breaking. I will call the number you suggest. The only thing I know is that I am in no way endangering peoples lives by packing a few DE blades in carry on luggate (go ahead, try to kill someone with one), and TSA's regulations are so ambiguous, I'm not sure what the regulation is. They can correct me at the gate.

My opinion:

Get a de razor, get some shave soap or cream, get those Derby 100 blade packs, get a brush. Also aftershave is recommended. Those Derby blades come in little plastic storage boxes. You could carry that all in a itty bitty baggy to say the least. :)

Here's the TSA Prohibited Items list.

Here's the section related to sharp objects, and whether they are allowed:
Sharp Objects
Code:
Item 	               Carry-on 	Checked
Box Cutters 	        No 	Yes
Ice Axes/Ice Picks 	No 	Yes
Knives - except for 
plastic or round bladed 
butter knives 	        No 	Yes
Meat Cleavers 	        No 	Yes
Razor-Type Blades - 
such as box cutters, 
utility knives, razor 
blades not in a cartridge, 
but excluding safety 
razors. 	       No 	Yes
Sabers 	                No 	Yes
Scissors - metal with 
pointed tips and blades 
shorter than four 
inches 	                Yes 	Yes
Swords 	                No 	Yes
NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

Now, the important text here is "but excluding safety razors" - what does that mean?

Last edited:
Thanks in advance for the kind advice.

Welcome to B&B. Please check the Air Travel Wiki page for more information.

This statement really ticks me off. Since I wrote the Air travel wiki, you're calling me a liar, or merely incompetent? Because I don't think the wording is ambiguous. Nor is it ambiguous on the Canadian or British transport authority webpages. And let's take a moment for some common sense here: do you think you could hurt someone with a 0.75" wide, 1.5" long, ridiculously sharp blade?

I really wish that people like you would not create messages like this encouraging others to break the law.

There very much has been a definitive ruling from the TSA about DE blades in carry on luggage.

I challenge you and everyone else who doubts me to call the TSA Contact Center directly at 1-866-289-9673 and talk to the representative there about razor blades in carry on luggage.

I have spoken directly with them on the phone about this issue three years ago, so I am certain what answer you'll get from them.

Thanks for very helpfully posting this telephone number. I have added it to the wiki page.

Code:
Item 	               Carry 	Checked

Meat Cleavers 	        No 	Yes
Razor-Type Blades - 
such as box cutters, 
utility knives, razor 
blades not in a cartridge, 
but excluding safety 
razors. 	       No 	Yes

Now, the important text here is "but excluding safety razors" - what does that mean?

It means that you can carry-on the razor without a blade in it.

not to belabor the point, -- and there's no question in my mind that DE / SE blades are banned in carry on -- it can be safely argued that any perceived ambiguity results from the TSA using "safety razor" as a catch all term for any non-straight razor. With this in mind, and keeping also in mind the prohibition against box cutters, knives, etc.:

safety razor with the meaning of Mach 3 and the like: are allowed and makes sense to allow in carry on. I really can't see harming someone with a cart razor (unless they shave with it).

safety razor meaning DE or SE (with blade in): are prohibited and makes sense to prohibit... in a safety sense, no different than a box cutter... wickedly sharp blade which could be removed and could be used to harm someone.

case closed.

Last edited:
I would imagine that this might be a niche for injector razors and blades.

What think ye?

- Chris

I think it'd be pretty easy to slit someone's throat with an injector blade, myself, but you make a fair point -- they do allow small pocket knives with blades similar in size to an injector blade. Still, I bet they err to the side of "reducing the number of items potential criminals or hijackers might use".

I would imagine that this might be a niche for injector razors and blades.

What think ye?

- Chris

Makes sense. An injector should (at least in theory) be treated no differently than a Good News or something like that. And I defy you to remove an injector blade without either an injector key or pliers and a screwdriver.

I'd imagine injector blade packs would still have to go in checked luggage tho.

Last edited:
I think it'd be pretty easy to slit someone's throat with an injector blade, myself, but you make a fair point -- they do allow small pocket knives with blades similar in size to an injector blade. Still, I bet they err to the side of "reducing the number of items potential criminals or hijackers might use".

Yes, but try to get that dang little blade out of the razor without the proper tools. Hooo boy. The would-be terrorist would do more harm to himself. Don't ask me how I know.

Yes, but try to get that dang little blade out of the razor without the proper tools. Hooo boy. The would-be terrorist would do more harm to himself. Don't ask me how I know.

:lol: I won't. True, the blades are held really tightly by a good injector.

But "the proper tools" would look really innocuous. I realize I'm playing at being really paranoid, here; however, I think such arguments would be erased by the wave of a hand by anyone at the TSA.

I've made several changes to the air travel wiki page today. I encourage all users to read it and provide feedback on the readability, clarity, and usefulness of the wiki page.

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom