What's new

Travel razor advice

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just converted to DE wetshaving and I'm hooked. I travel 1-2 times a month and have been researching what to bring. On the subject or razors I've seen Bic Sensitive disposables, Bump Fighter with TracII, or just use cartridges. Mailing blades ahead or buying blades at destination is not reliable for me so I'm looking for other advice/experience on razors for short 2-3 day trips.

Thanks in advance for the kind advice.

Looks like disposables would be your only choice if;
1. You don't want to use a cartridge razor
2. You don't want to check bags
3. you don't want to ship ahead or buy when you get there.

I would imagine that this might be a niche for injector razors and blades.

What think ye?

- Chris

Injector blades are "Blades not in a cartridge" which makes them specifically NOT allowed in carry on luggage. It is real easy to feed them out of the injector magazine.

Yes, but try to get that dang little blade out of the razor without the proper tools. Hooo boy. The would-be terrorist would do more harm to himself. Don't ask me how I know.

A toothpick will do it. You just jam the toothpick in where the tang from the injector magazine goes. That's how I clean out injector razors. Or, you could just use your car keys to open it up.

A toothpick will do it. You just jam the toothpick in where the tang from the injector magazine goes. That's how I clean out injector razors. Or, you could just use your car keys to open it up.

doh! where were you before I cut myself?!

That URL has all kinds of promise. To the originator, you better snap that one up quick, or I might have to...

:lol::lol::lol:

That URL has all kinds of promise. To the originator, you better snap that one up quick, or I might have to...

:lol::lol::lol:

It would be tough to generate enough content to overcome the juggernaut that is "Backyard Wrestling" on YouTube... If you want to make a go of it, be my guest. Take the URL, register it, and buy me a beer when you make a profit. That'll be enough for me. :smile:

It would be tough to generate enough content to overcome the juggernaut that is any Chip, Rich, Jesse, Lynchmeister, OldSaw, blackfoot thread on B&B. If you want to make a go of it, be my guest. Take the URL, register it, and buy me a beer when you make a profit. That'll be enough for me. :smile:

ftfy.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. If we were all 16, in good shape, and remarkably stupid, we could run the table on the Backyard wrestling videos out there. As it is, we're stuck in here trying to educate people about shaving. :confused1

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. If we were all 16, in good shape, and remarkably stupid, we could run the table on the Backyard wrestling videos out there. As it is, we're stuck in here trying to educate people about shaving. :confused1

I guess that's what happens when you aren't 16 any more. <sigh>

Nota Bene: I've made a few more edits to the air travel wiki page. I suppose I'll have to start using shorter words with fewer syllables to make it more plain than I already have, but I did update a few more pieces of information.

I especially welcome non-European and non-North American contributions. AFAICT the EU has agreed to exactly follow the TSA and the UK's Ministry for Transport guidelines for prohibited items, but what about China, Russia, India, etc?

Nota Bene: I've made a few more edits to the air travel wiki page. I suppose I'll have to start using shorter words with fewer syllables to make it more plain than I already have, but I did update a few more pieces of information.

I especially welcome non-European and non-North American contributions. AFAICT the EU has agreed to exactly follow the TSA and the UK's Ministry for Transport guidelines for prohibited items, but what about China, Russia, India, etc?

In Communist Russia.... terrorist shave you!

(sorry.)

This statement really ticks me off. Since I wrote the Air travel wiki, you're calling me a liar, or merely incompetent? Because I don't think the wording is ambiguous...

It means that you can carry-on the razor without a blade in it.

If you ask TSA whether you can bring razor blades in carry on luggage, the answer is clearly no. If you ask about safety razors, the answer is clearly yes.

I find the phrase "Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors" ambiguous as to whether the safety razor may contain a blade; if you don't, so be it. Wikis are not authoritative sources. Perhaps you might either provide definitive legal citations or at least a description of your years of experience as a lawyer or regulator rather than becoming really ticked off that someone might disagree with you :)

If you ask TSA whether you can bring razor blades in carry on luggage, the answer is clearly no. If you ask about safety razors, the answer is clearly yes.

I find the phrase "Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors" ambiguous as to whether the safety razor may contain a blade;

Stop right there. Did you ask the TSA "whether the safety razor may contain a blade?"

First let me say that I have nothing against the OP for posting this very legitimate question. What I do have issue with is people coming on here to share their stories about how they pulled one over on the TSA. If you think for a minute that you can't be killed with a DE blade you are both naive and poorly educated. It would be terribly easy to lay open an artery with a DE blade.

Bottom line guys, check your bags or get cartridges for travel. Stop encouraging newbies and others to attempt to circumvent regulations, rules and laws that are in place quite simply for the well being of all who are traveling.

I usually pack a DE with a couple DE blades in CARRY ON, along with a bump fighter/trac II as a backup. Note, it has been established on here that you're not allowed to carry DE blades on carry on...BUT, mine have slipped through three times. I figure if TSA catches them and tosses them, i'm out $0.25 and can use the cartrige razor instead.

This is the kind of information that one should keep to themselves. This is a gentlemen's forum and clearly taking the very childish "slipped through three times" approach is anything but gentlemanly. Never mind the fact that you are openly admitting to breaking TSA regulations. Also, not a gentlemanly behavior.

I really wish that people like you would not create messages like this encouraging others to break the law.

There very much has been a definitive ruling from the TSA about DE blades in carry on luggage.

I challenge you and everyone else who doubts me to call the TSA Contact Center directly at 1-866-289-9673 and talk to the representative there about razor blades in carry on luggage.

I have spoken directly with them on the phone about this issue three years ago, so I am certain what answer you'll get from them.

+1 and when you call don't use the phrase Safety Razor which they clearly use in reference to a Cartridge Razor. Tell them very specifically that you are referring to double edged razor blades that are not sealed or otherwise enclosed in any type of cartridge.

Here's the TSA Prohibited Items list.

Here's the section related to sharp objects, and whether they are allowed:
Sharp Objects
Code:
Item 	               Carry-on 	Checked
Box Cutters 	        No 	Yes
Ice Axes/Ice Picks 	No 	Yes
Knives - except for 
plastic or round bladed 
butter knives 	        No 	Yes
Meat Cleavers 	        No 	Yes
[B]Razor-Type Blades - 
such as box cutters, 
utility knives, razor 
blades not in a cartridge, 
but excluding safety 
razors. 	       No [/B]	Yes
Sabers 	                No 	Yes
Scissors - metal with 
pointed tips and blades 
shorter than four 
inches 	                Yes 	Yes
Swords 	                No 	Yes
NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

That is very self explanatory. The one ambiguity is the fact that the uneducated public refer to cartridge razors as safety razors which we all know is inaccurate.

Injector blades are "Blades not in a cartridge" which makes them specifically NOT allowed in carry on luggage. It is real easy to feed them out of the injector magazine.

+1

I find the phrase "Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors" ambiguous as to whether the safety razor may contain a blade; if you don't, so be it. Wikis are not authoritative sources. Perhaps you might either provide definitive legal citations or at least a description of your years of experience as a lawyer or regulator rather than becoming really ticked off that someone might disagree with you :)

This was both argumentative and unnecessary. I can tell you as someone who has been in Law Enforcement for nearly 15 years. When it comes to interpretations you always err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom