What's new

TRAVEL KITS?

What does you straight razor travel kit include of , any ideas or suggestions?

IMG_20200406_214747.jpg

$2.00 Chinese eBay strops (work fine)
Newspaper with some paste may suffice.
Iv read the "blue eel strop" was great for travel

Large "Stirling soap tins" a number one go too , everyday scuttle ...that and some arko , would last like 3 months

"Sextoblade or Sedef" and a 5/8 straight

Small alum....

Still highly suggest the tins , preffered over everyday scuttle ( the flat proportions make it so you don't lose lather)

Legion

Staff member
Shave sticks, face lathering are the best for travel IMO. Actually, I use those mostly at home as well.

Tabac stick, 1 synthetic brush, 1-2 razors, alum and ASB. I palm strop when traveling. anything longer than 10 days I use DE.
How many laps of the palm? I palm strop 5-6 times after a shave just to clean the edge but I never thought of using it to replace a strop for travel. I usually take 2 razors in case I ding one, a shave stick a Cheap Bodyshop synthetic brush ( quick drying , aftershave and a small strop though it’s not brilliant.

If I'm traveling with straights then I'm checking luggage. So I bring:
  • a straight for each day up to 7 (razor roll)
  • a vintage 2" travel strop (leather only)
  • a WCS synthetic brush
  • a stick of Arko and/or Valobra
  • an alum block

I carry it all with me every week:
2 straights
1 DE (Merkur)
1 blade pack
Salsa bo....I mean LATHER bowl
Shave soap/creme (currently an almost empty Trumpers Sandalwood)
1 vial of styptic powder
1 brush
1 bottle Thayers
Aftershave (Jovan Musk splash)

Muhle synthetic turnback brush
Some sort of shave stick and/or...
Small screw top tub of sandalwood soap
Merkur Futur Razor/case
5 or 6 assorted blades
3 oz. prescription bottle of Florida Water

How many laps of the palm? I palm strop 5-6 times after a shave just to clean the edge but I never thought of using it to replace a strop for travel. I usually take 2 razors in case I ding one, a shave stick a Cheap Bodyshop synthetic brush ( quick drying , aftershave and a small strop though it’s not brilliant.
I don’t really count, guessing about 30-50

Tried palm stropping , the side of my jeans, and a newspaper

I'd go with ...white pasted newspaper

(Edit)...also tried truck window ..like an 8k

My weekender, carry-on dopp. Two sticks, Omega 40033 (used to be a mixed midget, before that a Wee Scott), Feather SS, Trac II, two straights, travel sized everything else. it functions as a 3-1-1 bag. it stays with me on all trips, and the Trac II stays in for a TSA check. a Tony Miller travel strop. I’ve worked out if it for over a week.

I’ve also got a big Dopp that I can work out of for months without a restock, but that’s for checked baggage sized trips.

7E647872-D8CB-4A13-87A7-3616B0F28BFB.jpeg

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What does you straight razor travel kit include of , any ideas or suggestions?

View attachment 1083636

$2.00 Chinese eBay strops (work fine)
Newspaper with some paste may suffice.
Iv read the "blue eel strop" was great for travel

Large "Stirling soap tins" a number one go too , everyday scuttle ...that and some arko , would last like 3 months

"Sextoblade or Sedef" and a 5/8 straight

Small alum....

Still highly suggest the tins , preffered over everyday scuttle ( the flat proportions make it so you don't lose lather)
Shavette and travel size can of Barbasol. Simple. If you fly, just buy a tuck of blades when you get where you are going.

Top Bottom