What's new

Travel Info- Tsa Does Not Allow Blades!

Apparently double edge blades are not considered "safety razors" under the permitted rules of what's allowed in a carry-on bag.

Without going into detail about my experience (which may vary from yours because I carry a badge), suffiice it to say that you should not attempt to bring a loaded double edge razor on-board with you. Do some research before travelling to find out where you can get your blade of choice at your destination.

This should remove any doubt! (Previously I was of the opinion, because of discussions with a TSA supervisor, that one single DE blade loaded INTO a razor would be allowed because it's a 'safety razor' and 'disposable' under the guildelines of what's permitted under TSA rules... I was wrong!)

I'm not saying this actually happened to me, but I may have heard that TSA will confiscate the blade from your safety razor, but a spare blade, placed in your kit so that it is parallel to the X ray beam may go undetected...and a spare blade in your wallet amongst your credit cards may not set off the metal detector. I may have heard.

Stan

When we left for Jamaica this past Saturday, I just packed the empty razor back into it's box, wrapped up a pack of Feathers inside the box, and loaded them into my checked luggage. Sure, it wasn't a carry-on but there were no problems. Guess this wouldn't be applicable to those who travel w/o checking luggage but it is good to know, none-the-less.

Todd and everybody,

Thanks for the info. Todd, YES- this restriction ONLY applies to carry-on baggage.

stanmog said:
I'm not saying this actually happened to me, but I may have heard that TSA will confiscate the blade from your safety razor, but a spare blade, placed in your kit so that it is parallel to the X ray beam may go undetected...and a spare blade in your wallet amongst your credit cards may not set off the metal detector. I may have heard.

Stan

Sounds like a great way to get arrested!

Guys this has been beaten to death ad nauseum. Full info is in the wiki, but to cut to the chase: empty razors are OK in carry on. Blades (de, se, str8, or injector) are not. Blades and razors can go in checked luggage with no problem. The only blades allowed in carry on are cartridge type such as disposable razors or "systems" like Mach 3 & Fusion.

Yep, every time I read the "latest" on this subject, I think why would anyone take a chance? Until the allowance of any razor/blade is definitively outlined (at which time I'm sure we'll all see it plastered on the news and internet), please play it safe, guys.

The only blades allowed in carry on are cartridge type such as disposable razors or "systems" like Mach 3 & Fusion.

I smell a conspiracy... Let's check who is receiving campaign funds from P&G and its related companies. :lol:

Well, I went to sourcewatch.org and looked up what info I could, just because I'm a bit crazy, apparently. They donated about $305,500 in 05/06 when these laws were being introduced, 82% of which went to Republicans. *shrug* That doesn't seem like a lot, probably not enough to get a limit on razor blades.

Last edited:
I have checked the Wiki but was not sure that the (1) TSA rules have changed recently and (2) the advice for traveling on the Wiki has been updated.

Maybe a quarterly update that states the community still feels the same way or that the updates from TSA have changed the travel suggestions for B&B community would be helpful. I travel sometimes and want don't check bags. I would like to take my DE razor.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Stan

I know that you think you're helping people, but it actually isn't.
Encouraging practices which are in violation of the law, is in fact a violation of the Terms of Use of this board.
All newbs should be aware - there is NO WAY that you should ever try to bring a blade on an aircraft in your carry on luggage.
If it's that important to you, check a bag like I do.
If it isn't, then buy a pack at Walmart when you arrive, or mail a pack ahead of time to your destination.
Don't risk breaking the law, and please don't encourage others to! :w00t:

I was looking over TSA site and think they will now allow safety razors with a blade in the razor to be taken on carry-on. Anyone know more about this?
See link.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I read the TSA info to say nothing about safety razor blades, as the "Razor-Type Blades" specifically excludes a mention on safety razors. I concur with several of the posts, better to pack it in the checked baggage... just check an easily forgotten setup if your bag is lost.

You could always have a honemeister sharpen up a pair of scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches, which are alloweable as a carryon. If a guy can shave with an ax, can a pair of scissors be that bad? Maybe Cooncatbob can make two straights into a pair of scissors by joining them at the pin...:biggrin1:

Encouraging practices which are in violation of the law, is in fact a violation of the Terms of Use of this board.
All newbs should be aware - there is NO WAY that you should ever try to bring a blade on an aircraft in your carry on luggage.
If it isn't, then buy a pack at Walmart when you arrive, or mail a pack ahead of time to your destination.

Quoted for emphasis. Gentlemen follow the rule of law, even when it disagrees with their preferred disposition. Please do not do anything that may jeopardize your safety or others', or violate the law.

Ya might want to check the date on that post you were replying to! :001_cool::001_cool:

About two weeks ago I had several blades seized in Burbank on the grounds that they did not have the word "safety" on the box although the agent knew what the blades were. They left me with the distinct impression that as long as the word "safety" was on the box, they would be fine with it, given their wording of the current rule.

Top Bottom