What's new

Travel folding DE set remodeling-IDEAL SHAVER

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
A few months ago I got a strange folding DE razor "IDEAL SHAVER" with a unique flat top cover and a very fit travel box.
The design is very interesting and the shaving effect is very comfortable. Added a very good collection for me.
ideal shaver-02.jpg

Unfortunately, the original handle has some cracks and it can be expected to continue to damage, so I replaced it with leather micarta material.
ideal shaver-01.jpg

After modifying the handle, the original box no longer matches the visual or size, so I used the same leather micarta to redesign the new box, and try to make it look like a vintage bakelite box.
ideal shaver-03.jpg

In the blade storage space, magnets are buried inside, even if there is only one blade, it will not fall off.
ideal shaver-04.jpg

Magnets are also used to close the lid.
I also restored the mini mirror on the inside of the lid and stamped the brand "IDEAL SHAVER" with an aluminum sheet.
ideal shaver-05.jpg

Although I am reluctant to take my vintage collection to travel, I am happy to recreate its original design spirit.
ideal shaver-06.jpg

ERS4

Nice mods. Ask moderator to move to DE threads...
Thanks for your response.
This is about restoration, so I think it should belong to this threads. :)

In view of some discussions in this threads about repairing GEM or rebuilding vintage DE handle.

A few months ago I got a strange folding DE razor "IDEAL SHAVER" with a unique flat top cover and a very fit travel box.
The design is very interesting and the shaving effect is very comfortable. Added a very good collection for me.
View attachment 1143913

Unfortunately, the original handle has some cracks and it can be expected to continue to damage, so I replaced it with leather micarta material.
View attachment 1143917

After modifying the handle, the original box no longer matches the visual or size, so I used the same leather micarta to redesign the new box, and try to make it look like a vintage bakelite box.
View attachment 1143920

In the blade storage space, magnets are buried inside, even if there is only one blade, it will not fall off.
View attachment 1143921

Magnets are also used to close the lid.
I also restored the mini mirror on the inside of the lid and stamped the brand "IDEAL SHAVER" with an aluminum sheet.
View attachment 1143922

Although I am reluctant to take my vintage collection to travel, I am happy to recreate its original design spirit.
View attachment 1143923
I've thought about making a carrying case designed after the old gillette rounded box travel cases that hold the two tubes. One for a shave stick and other for the travel brush. Trying to figure if g10 or kydex would be a good rigid material and adhere either canvas or thin leather to hold it together. Also have been asking around to metal fab shops to see who can stamp the tubes. Add a polished plate of stainless steel to the lid for a mirror. I feel like it would be a fun project. Something like this
Screenshot_20200824-104345_Samsung Internet.jpg

ERS4

I've thought about making a carrying case designed after the old gillette rounded box travel cases that hold the two tubes. One for a shave stick and other for the travel brush. Trying to figure if g10 or kydex would be a good rigid material and adhere either canvas or thin leather to hold it together. Also have been asking around to metal fab shops to see who can stamp the tubes. Add a polished plate of stainless steel to the lid for a mirror. I feel like it would be a fun project. Something like thisView attachment 1144612

To make the curvature of the shell, it may be necessary to carve a set of wooden molds first, and the correct angle can be obtained during the process of applying pressure, thus saving more cutting and adjustment.

It was definitely a challenging and good attempt.
Looking forward to your completion. :D

Top Bottom