What's new

Travel Coffee Gear

At least one fresh whole bean coffee in an appropriate container for travel(not the kind that pop the lid if pressure changes, ask me how I know)
Thank you for your detailed travel set! Very impressive.
So tell me about your experience with travel containers that pop if the pressure changes... :cuppa:

So tell me about your experience with travel containers that pop if the pressure changes...
Thanks for reading! I made the mistake back around 2009 of grabbing vacuum canisters right from the kitchen and putting them in the bin with all my dry food stuff. Let's just say that they gave up trying to hold their lids when put to the test!

As for solutions, honestly, the original bag the coffee comes in. Or a valve bag meant for home roasters. As I said in my post, I have been chasing simplicity lately. Zip lock bags are not durable enough. Really, fresh coffee is a problematic luxury for camping and backpacking. Plastic screw on jars seem ideal, but they will crack under pressure from CO2 off gassing. Sometimes individual sealed servings are the best solution even though it makes me think it is wrong :cuppa:

There was a time I took a bodum mini french press with me and a bag of ground coffee. Not ideal the press was glass (babuska broke the thing when inspecting what it was) and since I do not want customs crap I used filter grade coffee. But for short trips it made more than decent coffee. Beats mocona.
on longer trips in Asia I usually went cold turkey on the airport and lived on cola with tea for a month.
but now so much small coffee shacks everywhere.
But still thinking of getting a hand espresso machine from nano presso
Aero presso is tempting too.

I had a Nanopresso and honestly, it worked superbly. I bought the Barista Kit for it and used the heck out of it. Besides use on the go, for a guy living in a tiny one bedroom apartment at the time it was an easy way to make a fast espresso shot at home and take up no counter space and almost no storage space. It stopped working (developed a leak) after a bit over a year but that was with near daily use, many times twice daily. The company was helpful and offered to fix it for free (just out of the warranty) but paying to ship it to Hong Kong was on me. I was about to move so I decided to just leave it behind at that point.

one of the pluses of an aeorpress I didn't mention in my original post was it's the easiest to clean with minumum water expended during backpacking/limited resources/schlepping your own water. if you have the time to let it dry, you can clean it dry with a finger, that gets wiped clean on grass/whatever after. or licked clean. I'm sure the cup will patina without a rag wipe out, but when's that ever killed anyone?

the easiest clean up is probably with a sachet bagged coffee. or just pack in chocolate covered espresso beans. your mouth will be gritty for a bit, but I enjoyed them well enough during late night study sessions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom