What's new

Travel brush. Simpson S1 pure?

I am looking for a smaller travel brush i can throw in my dopp kit to take to the cabin this summer.

I am looking for something inexpensive and smaller in size.

I do not own any Simpson products yet but have been wanting to try one. I figure this is the perfect opportunity!

I want to believe a brand like Simpson wouldn't put their name on an inferior product, but the age old phrase is you get what you pay for.

Is there any reason i shouldn't get the Simpson?

I've got one brush in Simpsons "pure" -- the Beaufort B1. I liked the handle shape a little more than the Special. The thing you need to know is that "Pure" has a lot more "scritch" than most other brushes. I.e., it's relatively course and abrasive against the skin. Some folks like that, and if you're looking for exfoliation, you'll get it. But it's not for everyone, and even though I have no regrets about getting mine, I wouldn't want to use it every day, or even every day on a one week vacation.

If you want to experience Simpsons (and everyone should) I'd highly recommend going with one of their "best" brushes. I like all the ones I've tried. For travel I'm partial to the "Case" and its matching case, but it's got a very short loft making it pretty scrubby, and some might find the handle too small.

The Berkeley 46 in Best is good all around Simpsons recommendation. Relatively inexpensive and a fantastic performer.

Last edited:
I would go with the Special in Best. It is only $10 more than the pure. It is a great little brush. I own both and the Best is a better brush IMO.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
At that $25 price I think you should - unless your face requires uber softness. What are you using now & does that seem too soft or too scratchy or just right? Me, I like my Simpsons Eagle3 in Pure but admittingly use it only in a large rotation of brushes.

If you mean by travel brush tiny then the Special might not fit. If you haven’t tried Pure than this a nice one though. For practical purposes have a look at Trafalger T1 Synth or a Case 1 in Best they are really compact.
5FEFFCDA-A2CE-4A64-838D-D88DB45624DE.jpeg

17F33546-1547-4905-8BD9-CA5F7C0C25A5.jpeg

521B1DE6-2851-45BE-A601-DEB368E8DA75.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
CB4C5A7B-87DD-4493-9DAB-77D0B93E9A7F.jpeg

I have been using one for the past few weeks. Great little brush and with the Simpson travel tube you are set to go. I am a recent Simpson Brush convert. I have 5 now and this is the first one that I have tried and I found it quite a dense knot coming from mainly Boar Brushes.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Travel brush? If I’m travelling and only bringing one brush to use every day it’s going to be my favourite. Luckily in my case it’s a well broken in Omega boar, easily replaced for $15 at a variety of local shops. All brushes seem small to me, relatively speaking. Mere millimetres one way or the other. I have a Berkeley in best, my only Simpsons, it’s wee, but it’s dear, a fine brush, just not the one I’d choose to use daily.

You can't go wrong with Special in pure. Imo it's better than the best badger version (YMMV). In the end Simpsons pure grade isn't that scratchy or scritchy and when the knot loosens a little it's wonderful scrubby brush. Might just be me but i like Simpsons pure much more than their best grade.

For travel I'll suggest a synthetic would be a legit choice. If you are fixed on a Simpson, a Trafalgar 1 or 2 may fit the bill perfectly.
However, for the past decade or so I have travelled extensively. I always carried a Muhle Turnback Travel Brush with an STF knot. Could not ask for better.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've always been intrigued by the Simpsons Case. It's like a "Wee Scot 2." Will the Case brush fit in the small travel tube from Simpsons?

EDIT- According to the Simpsons site, the Case 1 does fit in the small tube, as will the Special, Classic 1, and Duke 1. It goes on to say "Simpson recommends the Case in Best Badger as the ultimate small brush when travelling."

I've always been intrigued by the Simpsons Case. It's like a "Wee Scot 2." Will the Case brush fit in the small travel tube from Simpsons?

As I understand it, the Case brush and small Simpsons case were designed for one another. It's a perfect fit and at some point I believe they were sold as a matched set. (Though maybe that was some retail vendor putting them together; I can't remember.) I like the Wee Scot. But I love the Case. Mine is a lot denser than the W.S. With a wider knot and the same loft, it's also a lot scrubbier. It's a very soft scrub, not a scritch scrub. I know I'm partial since it was my first Simpsons, and for close to 10 years it and the Wee S were my only ones. But the Case performs delightfully, with a different face feel from any other brush I own.

Owen Bawn

As I understand it, the Case brush and small Simpsons case were designed for one another. It's a perfect fit. I like the Wee Scot. But I love the Case. Mine is a lot denser than the W.S. With a wider knot and the same loft, it's also a lot scrubbier. It's a very soft scrub, not a scritch scrub. I know I'm partial since it was my first Simpsons, and for close to 10 years it and the Wee S were my only ones. But the Case performs delightfully, with a different face feel from any other brush I own.
Sounds attractive. But I don't see myself travelling anywhere for a while, sadly. I have a Classic 1 in both synth and Best; the synthetic is OK, though I'd never recommend it to anyone. A guy traded it to me for a puck of vintage Williams, as I recall. He hated it. It has been my travel brush for 4-5 years. I guess I got used to it. The Classic 1 in Best is a terrific little brush, that also fits in the tube, but to my mind it is too dense to pack away wet.

If you’re not flying carry on only, and plan on being at your place for more than a day or three... why not just take a full sized regular brush in your rotation?

pure was too scritchy for my taste, even in an Omega mixed midget. Wee Scott was too small for my taste and hands. The best in it is nice. the others recommended above have good reps, but I’ve never had one.

my go to traveler is an Omega 40033, and packs small. Into a small Simpson case actually.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

EDIT- According to the Simpsons site, the Case 1 does fit in the small tube, as will the Special, Classic 1, and Duke 1. It goes on to say "Simpson recommends the Case in Best Badger as the ultimate small brush when travelling."
I have owned the Case, the Classic 1, and Wee Scot in best and used them for travel. The Case is the least dense and luxurious of the three, far less so than the Classic 1. It is the Case that feels, to me, like a novelty brush for travel only, which is an accusation often levelled, unfairly in my view, at the Wee Scot. I sold the Case and use Classic and Wee Scot both at home and when travelling. Mark from Simpson is quoted here on B&B as saying he personally uses a Classic 1 as his travel brush.

Owen Bawn

I have owned the Case, the Classic 1, and Wee Scot in best and used them for travel. The Case is the least dense and luxurious of the three, far less so than the Classic 1. It is the Case that feels, to me, like a novelty brush for travel only, which is an accusation often levelled, unfairly in my view, at the Wee Scot. I sold the Case and use Classic and Wee Scot both at home and when travelling. Mark from Simpson is quoted here on B&B as saying he personally uses a Classic 1 as his travel brush.
That's helpful. Thank you. When I'm going somewhere and settling in to one place for more than a week I usually take the Classic 1 in Best; but for short trips or if I'm hopping from place to place I suck it up and use the Classic synthetic. I've made my peace with it. It works fine with a shave stick, but it's not the best synthetic I own by any measure.

Maybe I really got lucky on Case, purchased about 11 years ago. It is very dense, even when taking the short loft into consideration. Much more so than the Wee Scot. I think I've got 8 Simpsons brushes total, all Best except for a Beaufort in Pure. None have the same very soft but very scrubby face feel of the little Case. Needles to say, YMMV.

Top Bottom