What's new

Travel brush recommendations

I bought an Omega #50014 Boar Travel Brush. It's a good brush in a black plastic handle/cover. It works really well with the soaps I have. I haven't tried it with a cream, but I'm sure it would be fine. There are a few threads on it if you search on google. It's fairly cheap at 9.99 from a few places.

I would very much like to recommend this combo when travelling. You will have no problems with security on airports or wet brush.

Mühle Silvertip Fibre 23 mm synthetic brush

View attachment 415957
Mühle travel tube

The 23 mm brush will fit perfectly into the tube.

I like sticks when I travel too. I rotate between a Wee Scott and an Omega Boar for the brush. I like to take a brush that I would not be too upset if it went missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wee Scotts, Mixed Midgets are great as are Simpson Majors if you don't mind spending $127. However, if you are like me and 1) like the comfort and convenience of using a brush that's already in your collection, 2) want the reliability and performance of a high quality badger brush and 3) don't want to spend the money on a single purpose "travel" brush, then read on. There's another B&B thread that discusses this extensively that I also posted to. In my case, I use something called an Aero Chamber, which is designed to administer inhalable medications to children with bronchial infections - but couldn't be better for holding shave brushes. Why you ask? Because I happened to have one lying around that was purchased from CVS for $25 when my two year old came down with a chest infection. We used it for three days and its been sitting in a medicine cabinet taking up space and irking me ever since. I was finally getting ready to throw it away when I realized that the dimensions fit all of my brushes. What makes it really special, however is the rubber gasket at one end that securely holds the handle of any shave brush so that the bristles are freely suspended in the cylinder and and never touch the bottom. The bottom end is "slotted" ( to allow for the passage medication) and permits enough air flow for brush drying that you won't have to drill any additional holes. Using this allows me to travel confidently with any brush out of my collection, including my prized 23mm HMW, and I don't have to give it a second thought. What is more, since the bottom allows for air circulation, this device doubles as a brush stand when you get to your destination so you don't have to invert or lay down your shave brush as you might otherwise with one of the brush cases from Merkur or Simpson (neither of which secures a brush to prevent the weight of a handle from compacting and splaying the bristles). I couldn't be happier with repurposing the Aero Chamber, especially since it was pricey to begin with and got such limited use for it's initial purpose. For those of you who don't have one lying around as I did, you may still want to consider it if you travel a lot since a $25 investment will allow you to bring your fanciest brush on the road and ensure it's protection. Here are some pics with a cheap "travel" brush from a TAOS starter kit with max handle width of 25mm and overall length of 89mm. As you can see it will easily and safely accommodate much larger brushes. PM me if you have any questions.
View attachment 423520View attachment 423521

I'd go for the Wee Scot over the Case certainly. However, I think investing in a Classic 1 with a Simpson travel tube is probably the ultimate travel brush combo.

I've got a Whipped Dog 22mm synth, and a 20mm/45mm loft Silvertip that are my go to travelers. I've also taken my Semogue 1520 on the road with me.

The Silvertip gets 98% of my road work, and I'll use the synth on actual travel days.

This is my latest pickup for travel brushes
proxy.php

I travel quite a bit and this is my travel brush...

View attachment 415960

Omega 'Mixed Midget' Badger/Boar Shaving Brush. The performance is great (I face lather). Don't let the economical price fool you. I even use this little guy at home. It will fit into a travel container or larger prescription bottles. I will always have one of these in my den.

I'll add another +1 to the Mixed Midget. I tried one of these for the first time yesterday (as part of a passaround box), and it's a great little brush (emphasis on the word "little"). If I traveled a lot, I would get one of these. Cheap enough that you won't care if it gets lost or damaged, but good enough that you'll still enjoy using it.

Just be be sure to spend a lot of time loading...it is a very small brush, after all.

I would put in another vote for a muhle synthetic. Or at least a very "non-dense" brush. I fully agree with earlier comments about how "travel" equipment is ridiculous. My biggest concern with a brush that I travel with is that it can dry quickly (Within 8-12 hours) so that it does not become rancid in its tube.

Look at the mini-badger included in the AoS starter kit. The kit itself is not a bad deal with the brush. The components are all small and very nice. You get shave oil, cream, and balm and brush, all for $25. Probably the only thing their store that is not obscenely overpriced.

Here is a link: http://www.theartofshaving.com/kits-and-gifts/kits-and-gifts,default,sc.html
I hear you about AoS pricing and the brush. I use this very brush from time to time when I travel. It's a little on the small size for a 3 pass shave but fits well in a Dopp. However, I prefer using the Aero Chamber as a case with just about any brush. Most, if not all travel brushes are too small, too expensive and too infrequently used for what they are.

I would rather bring my regular brush and give back some space in the Dopp by leaving the shave stick home and scooping a couple of teaspoons of cream into a small cosmetics jar.

Top Bottom