What's new

Translucent Arkansas help please

I used my wife's professional baking scale, essentially a high grade kitchen scale, to weigh the stone. I couldn't find a tall enough beaker that didn't overweigh the scale. So, I used a digital caliper to measure the stone and calculate the volume as accurately as I could. Then I used the link @stone and strop posted:

That's how I estimated my stone, @ 2.61. I'll look for a container that will work and compare the numbers. Water displacement should be more accurate.

Mine was pretty accurate. I was at 2.78 by measurement and 2.8 in water. The stones were not perfectly rectangular (although close) and that leads to the small discrepancies.

Nice,

Shame my vintage Norton Black trans is boxed so I can't test it. I'd be curious how it stacks up against my NW trans black (currently the densest I've tested)

I liked the Nalgene bottle tip- thanks! I retested the stone after I found a high enough plastic container and it displaced 134 grams of water. I actually used on of our toilet brush holders :001_rolle , after cleaning it out really well of course. I think that means dry weight of 360 grams/134 grams water displaced= 2.68 for specific gravity. I remeasured the stone more carefully with calipers and came out, after averaging four readings per each measurement, and using the online calculator to 2.656. So, like @stone and strop I ended up with not much difference in the estimate.

With these translucent and good blacks I don't think we will see much variation. The few I have tested have such low absorption it's very difficult to get a number. That tells me the stone is pretty much solid. The regular hards, softs and Washita's is where things get a little more interesting.

Top Bottom