What's new

Transit of Mercury!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Happening now. Try to catch it, if you have the gear.

I put a Baader solar filter on a decent monocular; no sunspots - but Mercury is so dang small! Did not see, will try again.

Not enough power on the mono and I no longer have a decent 'scope, preferring "light bucket" binocs to a telescope these days.

Anyways. It's online. May as well see; next one may not be in this lifetime ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
OK, saw it!

"Faint hear ne'er won fair lady."

Saw where to look online, prefocused well, and though faint I saw it with an 8x monocular and a 10x pair of Leupolds.

A reminder: unless you HAVE a Baader solar filter or the equivalent laying around DO NOT TRY THIS.

Looking at the sun WILL blind you.

So they say. I have the solar filters laying around from last year's Great Eclipse.

You might, too. But just looking at the sun, Mercury is one tiny dot.

AA

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I missed it all. Might have to look at getting some sort of telescope. We have a landing upstairs that gets no use. Should put a telescope or something similar there and I might actually use it and learn about the stars at the same time.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I missed it all. Might have to look at getting some sort of telescope. We have a landing upstairs that gets no use. Should put a telescope or something similar there and I might actually use it and learn about the stars at the same time.

From the Land of the Southern Cross? Would think so!

Lucky astronomers there see Proxima, too.

AA

Top Bottom