What's new

Tragedy Struck

Well, it finally happened. I was finishing my shave and had just applied alum to my face as I do for every shave. It was a fairly new block of Osma. As I'm putting it back in the little plastic case that I keep it in somehow it didn't make it in and ended up bouncing out, soared through the air and landed smack dab on the tile floor. Then the sickening sound of shattering alum. 2/3 of the block shattered into small shards. And because I am not a very patient or tolerant man, I raged, cursed and felt nauseous from my anger. Was it worth all the rage? Absolutely not. But that is the psychological makeup that I inherited from my father who was far worse than I in this category. I realize that alum is pretty cheap, especially when you factor in how long a block lasts, and especially when you don't drop it. I never dropped my previous block. This is my second in 4+ years of shaving with a double edge. So I now just have to go online and find some more Osma for as cheap as I can (because I'm a cheap bastard) and wait for it to arrive. I guess I'll use it as an excuse to buy more stuff like some shave soap so I can get free shipping. Is it a tragegy? Hardly. But then I'm a melodramatic idiot.

Well, it finally happened. I was finishing my shave and had just applied alum to my face as I do for every shave. It was a fairly new block of Osma. As I'm putting it back in the little plastic case that I keep it in somehow it didn't make it in and ended up bouncing out, soared through the air and landed smack dab on the tile floor. Then the sickening sound of shattering alum. 2/3 of the block shattered into small shards. And because I am not a very patient or tolerant man, I raged, cursed and felt nauseous from my anger. Was it worth all the rage? Absolutely not. But that is the psychological makeup that I inherited from my father who was far worse than I in this category. I realize that alum is pretty cheap, especially when you factor in how long a block lasts, and especially when you don't drop it. I never dropped my previous block. This is my second in 4+ years of shaving with a double edge. So I now just have to go online and find some more Osma for as cheap as I can (because I'm a cheap bastard) and wait for it to arrive. I guess I'll use it as an excuse to buy more stuff like some shave soap so I can get free shipping. Is it a tragegy? Hardly. But then I'm a melodramatic idiot.
Well, they generally come cheaper per block if you buy 2 or 3. It'll be less aggravating it you have a block waiting in the wings next time if it should happen again. You can "polish" the 1/3 with a wet rag, removing the sharp edges, to have something to use 'til the replacement arrives.

Well, they generally come cheaper per block if you buy 2 or 3. It'll be less aggravating it you have a block waiting in the wings next time if it should happen again. You can "polish" the 1/3 with a wet rag, removing the sharp edges, to have something to use 'til the replacement arrives.

Yes. I agree. I'll buy two this time around because I'm bound to be a klutz again. And the way this one broke, there is not way to "polish the size that broke. It is far too jagged. But I can use the other end of the block that didn't suffer. And what I'll probably do with all of the pieces I saved is put them in some witch hazel and allow them to dissolve and use it as an aftershave instead of two separate applications.

I feel your pain. I would have gotten angry as well if I had done that. Since I’m a klutz, I’m surprised I haven’t already. I got my anger from my dad as well, and bypass surgery only made it worse. Now I too have to go online and buy a block or two, just in case.

I feel your pain. I would have gotten angry as well if I had done that. Since I’m a klutz, I’m surprised I haven’t already. I got my anger from my dad as well, and bypass surgery only made it worse. Now I too have to go online and buy a block or two, just in case.

I'm double the klutz because I had taken the effort of wrapping a rubber band around one end of the block to make it easier to handle and so it wouldn't slip out of my hand. So much for that logic.

Amazon has a 3 pack for $30. That can be found at:

Bloc Osma Alum Stone 75g Block 3 Pack Amazon.com: Bloc Osma Alum Stone 75g Block 3 Pack: Beauty - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G02JVRU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_5i4zFb1A7X4W1

I'm double the klutz because I had taken the effort of wrapping a rubber band around one end of the block to make it easier to handle and so it wouldn't slip out of my hand. So much for that logic.
Don’t beat yourself up. I’m probably worse than you. I’ve never been graceful in my life, but bypass surgery and age have made it worse. Heck, I even have trouble standing up and walking across the room.

If it makes you feel better, I broke mine in a carpeted bathroom. Dropped it, grabbed at it(it would have fallen on the carpet), propelling it at speed into the sink. I was lucky in that it broke mostly in half though.

Then, after "polishing" one half using my face when applying alum, figured a wet cloth would be more comfortable on the second half. :)

These alum sticks work pretty well. You get a handle to hold on to and a case to keep the alum dry.

omega-alum-stick.jpeg lea-alum-stick.png

I have never not dropped an alum block. It’s as certain in life as death.

My current one broke into two pieces so I carried on and still use them. They last forever, and to be honest I find the smaller pieces easier to use and less prone to dropping.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have been getting this alum deodorant which comes in a hard crystal and in a liquid roll on bottle. Both are potassium alum and both are only about $2 to purchase, plus it has other skin condition ingredients such as aloe vera and chamomile extract. Alum is great if you have a handle to hold on to when applying. :)

download.jpg

Naturally-Fresh-Deodorant-Crystal-2.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I fully expect to drop and destroy a Paladin or a Simpson brush handle some day. After each shave when I put the brush on the sill to dry I whisper a little thank you to the badger angel.

I just noticed they charge shipping. Being the tightwad that’s I am, I can’t stand that! If you find it somewhere cheaper, let me know.

Italian Barber has the Osma blocks for $7.99 but they also charge shipping for orders under $60. I'm not going to spend $60 just to get free shipping. And they charge around $8 for shipping. But I do want to stick with Osma as I know the alum does NOT come from China. My previous block was the Gentleman Jon block but when I looked at the label long after I bought it, it says Made in China. I'm not willing to spread something on my face that comes from China. I don't trust anything that comes out of there. I do trust the French. So Osma it is. Still checking for the cheapest price.

I have been getting this alum deodorant which comes in a hard crystal and in a liquid roll on bottle. Both are potassium alum and both are only about $2 to purchase, plus it has other skin condition ingredients such as aloe vera and chamomile extract. Alum is great if you have a handle to hold on to when applying. :)

View attachment 1157777

View attachment 1157778

Checking this one out it seems it is made from Ammonium Alum, not Potassium Alum. I've always thought that the one we want to see is Potassium Alum. I'm no chemist so I profess zero knowledge about such things. Only what I've read.

Checking this one out it seems it is made from Ammonium Alum, not Potassium Alum. I've always thought that the one we want to see is Potassium Alum. I'm no chemist so I profess zero knowledge about such things. Only what I've read.
I prefer Osma myself, but the websites I viewed the Naturally Fresh at lists it as having Potassium Alum as the alum in it. It also has other things in it as well, not being a natural block.

I know exactly how you feel. Lost my first shave bowl, as it slipped from my hands. Then cursed while i watched it break into pieces in the sink.

As you said the only good news is that I got to go shopping for a replacement. Actually ended up getting a better shave bowl too.

But still miss that bowl and haven't shaken the vision of how I broke it.

Top Bottom