What's new

Trafalgar T3 x Evo

Right now, the T3 is my favorite brush. The Omega Jade Boar comes at a close second - for practical reasons.

I PMed this question to some members, who were very considerate and helpful, but I wanted to spur the debate.

So, for those of you who have tried both brushes, what are your thoughts? Is the EVO a step up, like going from economy to business class; or is it more like going from business to first? Or is it the contrary: ipretty much the same thing for 2.5 times the price? If you have (or had) both, would you sell one? Keep both? Have sold any? Any regrets?

Anyway, whatever your thoughts regarding the T3 x the EVO are.

PS. I’ve already made up my mind and I will buy the EVO, when I get the chance. That’s not the reason for the thread; as I said, I was interested in the discussion and thought some of us might be as well!

I like the Trafalgars, but certainly prefer the Evo to them.

I fit all synthetics into three categories. "NO", "YES" and "WOW". If it's not usable it goes in "No". These are pre-modern synthetics and non-Yaqi Chinese synthetics. If it is usable it goes in "Yes". Most popular synthetics go here. All Yaqis, Chubby synth, Plisson, Plissoft, Tuxedo, TimberWolf, 2bed, SynBad...basically all modern synthetics including the Trafalgar.

The only brushes in my "Wow" category are the STFv2, Evo and, as of very recently, the G5A(not to be confused with the Frank Shaving G5).

The gap between those three and the rest is considerable and I don't feel the T3 can compete with them on a purely performance basis despite being a perfectly usable brush. Price to performance ratio is another story, of course, but even then I'd still take a SynBad, 2BED or any PAA over the T3.

Right now, the T3 is my favorite brush. The Omega Jade Boar comes at a close second - for practical reasons.

I PMed this question to some members, who were very considerate and helpful, but I wanted to spur the debate.

So, for those of you who have tried both brushes, what are your thoughts? Is the EVO a step up, like going from economy to business class; or is it more like going from business to first? Or is it the contrary: ipretty much the same thing for 2.5 times the price? If you have (or had) both, would you sell one? Keep both? Have sold any? Any regrets?

Anyway, whatever your thoughts regarding the T3 x the EVO are.

PS. I’ve already made up my mind and I will buy the EVO, when I get the chance. That’s not the reason for the thread; as I said, I was interested in the discussion and thought some of us might be as well!
Here's a great video by Chris (one of my favorite YT-ers)

I have the T2, Chubby 2 and Evo. I just use my Chubby 2 and Evo now. It’s kinda hard to pick between them but I’d probably pick the Evo cause the handle is just awesome and it has a bit better splay than the chubby 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evo retains an impressive amount of water. It’s a great brush.
I have 2, the knots are not identical. One splays mush easier than the other. I prefer the stiffer one.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the T2, Chubby 2 and Evo. I just use my Chubby 2 and Evo now. It’s kinda hard to pick between them but I’d probably pick the Evo cause the handle is just awesome and it has a bit better splay than the chubby 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I compared the two, Evo retains more water than the Chubby 2

proxy.php

I'm honestly having a bit of trouble understanding why I would get either brush. An Evo costs more than my Semogue SOC Finest Badger or SOC Finest Mistura. Why emulate natural hair brushes when the real thing costs less?

I do like some synthetics at the lower cost levels. Even then, I think I would prefer my PAA Starcraft over a Trafalgar. The Starcraft is a little fun and different.

Last edited:
Evo retains an impressive amount of water. It’s a great brush.
I have 2, the knots are not identical. One splays mush easier than the other. I prefer the stiffer one.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Do you think that’s because of the different handles?

Do you think that’s because of the different handles?
@Cesare, I'm afraid it's rather because of the inconsistency in manufacturing process, aka QC / QA issues... unfortunately 😞

The exact reason why I didn't want to spend the amount of money this brush costs to receive smth. with such a considerable level of variance in appearance and utility. The two brushes look nothing alike and as @Black-Tie said, feel and behave rather different. WTH...

I'm honestly having a bit of trouble understanding why I would get either brush. An Evo costs more than my Semogue SOC Finest Badger or SOC Finest Mistura. Why emulate natural hair brushes when the real thing costs less?

I do like some synthetics at the lower cost levels. Even then, I think I would prefer my PAA Starcraft over a Trafalgar. The Starcraft is a little fun and different.
It depends... YMMV... horses for courses, different strokes for different folks, etc, etc...

Some people are vegan, some just want a more convenient solution when travelling. Others are collectors...

I guess for most it's not an "either or" scenario (myself included).

And some are just plain curious and like to explore, have fun and ultimately decide for themselves, on their own.

@Cesare, I'm afraid it's rather because of the inconsistency in manufacturing process, aka QC / QA issues... unfortunately [emoji20]

The exact reason why I didn't want to spend the amount of money this brush costs to receive smth. with such a considerable level of variance in appearance and utility. The two brushes look nothing alike and as @Black-Tie said, feel and behave rather different. WTH...

I wouldn’t call them QA issues, there are always variations between brushes. Nevertheless, both are brilliant performers and I would wholeheartedly recommend them to any synthetics enthusiast.

Top Bottom