What's new

Trafalgar T3 x EJ STF

I've recently got an EJ STF in large from Connaught and am blown away by the brush.

My other synthetic is an - also amazing - Trafalgar T3. It took me a while for the T3 to get to the top of my list, but once it got there...

Comparing the brushes seem like alternating between one of those large, luxurious Mercedes and a nimble Porsche. Different, but both excel on their respective turfs.

Splitting hairs (pun intended), I'd say the tips of the STF may feel a tiny little prickly when the brush is splayed, when compared to the T3. And that the "water flow" of the STF is a bit better than the T3.

Having said all that, my question is: both knots have the same heig, but completely different dimensions otherwise. That got me thinking about how the X-Large STF compares to the T3 (or the EVO, if you will).

Any thoughts on this worn out subject which, in spite of the many inputs, continues to interest me?!

PS. I strongly advise anyone considering this brush to buy this handle shape!!!

9147D891-0379-45D1-B388-F6177F7838C3.jpeg

I've recently got an EJ STF in large from Connaught and am blown away by the brush.

My other synthetic is an - also amazing - Trafalgar T3. It took me a while for the T3 to get to the top of my list, but once it got there...

Comparing the brushes seem like alternating between one of those large, luxurious Mercedes and a nimble Porsche. Different, but both excel on their respective turfs.

Splitting hairs (pun intended), I'd say the tips of the STF may feel a tiny little prickly when the brush is splayed, when compared to the T3. And that the "water flow" of the STF is a bit better than the T3.

Having said all that, my question is: both knots have the same heig, but completely different dimensions otherwise. That got me thinking about how the X-Large STF compares to the T3 (or the EVO, if you will).

Any thoughts on this worn out subject which, in spite of the many inputs, continues to interest me?!

View attachment 1365070

I love the STF!
I have EJ in L and XL, muhle in XL.

The XL size is totally different to the L size.
It's much more dense and behaves much like a silvertip.
Totally different experience between the two sizes. The XL is my absolute favorite brush all time!

STFv2 are great. Especially if you like brushes with longer lofts and a bit less backbone.

The Trafalgar line, in my estimation, has been made completely obsolete by the G5a, which is essentially an ultra dense, short lofted STF. The XL STF, on the other hand, still fills the higher loft lower backbone part of the premium synthetic spectrum with G5a and Evo on the high backbone end.

The large EJ/Muhle silvertip fibre are among my favorite brushes.

I have both XL and L versions of the Edwin Jagger version as well as a few Muhle large brushes (one of hte Muhles may be a version 1 of this synthetic hair as it's somewhat stiffer). Proving the YMMV axiom of wet shaving, I'v always liked less dense knots, so the large size silvertip fibres are for me.

Other than playing around with some Yaqi and other Chinese synthetics at the recommendation of Nav and a few other folks, I have no inerest in trying too improve on the EJ/Muhle silvertip fibre knots.

@SterFry , do you still prefer the Peregrino over the STF? In absolute terms, I mean, irrespective of the price difference.
For bowl lathering I prefer the Peregrino outright. For face lathering I prefer the Peregrino over the smaller STFs. The XL STF, however, being more dense, I prefer, slightly, to the Peregrino.

So overall yeah, but it's circumstantial.

What is the approximate width/diameter of the business end of the Trafalgar T3? The part that hits the soap and the face.

View attachment 1365070

Great comparison!!

What is the approximate width/diameter of the business end of the Trafalgar T3? The part that hits the soap and the face.
Sorry, @Dominic , but I couldn't find a ruler around here.

I'll post some pics of the T3 and the STF Laerge side by side.

The STF is noticeably less dense. But this is not a criticism.

The knot size/base is where the difference is really pronounced.

7C81F6D5-7B6C-4BBF-A20B-0BE943D125A1.jpeg
3B3312C6-17A3-4484-9379-2C4F61A22E80.jpeg
3347A55B-46E9-4DAF-9DF3-8F8268514FFF.jpeg

A48BF9C6-81BF-487D-841F-2DDDABA5B66B.jpeg

Reactions: nav
PS. I work in finance. And like all people who work in finance, I have very logical and strong opinions about subjects we have little to no idea about and companies we wouldn't be able to run.

So!, if I were Simpson, I'd make a "Trafalgar T4", which would use the same Sovereign Fibers and borrow the knot proportions of the EJ STF Large.

It's a no-brainer. The logical thing to do!

Top Bottom