What's new

Traditional Turkish Post-Shave Regimen

I am American born during the summer of love; my dad's medicine cabinet had Old Spice, Aqua Velva, English Leather, Brut. My hildhood barbershop haircuts evoke Pinaud/Playboy/cigarettes . . . For several decades after that Barbasol and Harry's carts served my shaving/barbershop needs.

Fast Fwd to present day. I discover DE traditional shaving, and through B&B learn about Arko and Derby. Someone on B&B recently posts re: traditional Barbershop scents (implying American/western barbershops like Stirling, Clubman, etc). Someone from Turkey responds to the thread with great enthusiasm that Arko and Derby are iconic barbershop scents to him. The thread continues following the Euro/American themes.

From what I have gleaned here, Turkey has a robust shaving culture. I have Derby & Arko soaps, and I enjoy them. I would like to learn what is the traditional post-shave regimen in Turkey? What aftershave scents are popular in that culture? What would be the traditional way to follow an Arko/Derby shave?

After shaving, you are generously sprayed with Lemon Kolonya. This is a traditional Turkish product consisting of around 70%-80% ethyl alcohol and essential oils from lemon and maybe lemon blossoms, etc. They do have aftershave balms and creams, too, in different scents.

There are other Kolonya scents like tobacco. Lemon is the most common.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It isn't just a barbershop scent, this lemon kolonya. In Turkish cities one will see people passing bottles of lemon kolonya around on hot and crowded city buses from stranger to stranger, each person taking a little splash. The stuff is everywhere. The whole place smells like it.

Well, because of bad quality of available aftershave products before, they’re hated actually. After shave procedure was simple as alum (if needed), talk powder, and then Arko oily cream application with lemon scented eau de cologne by massage. Cologne also acts as on face dissolver of cream here.
0DC86979-2780-44AB-9114-DA541E2ECF2B.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a quick lookup of kolonya, a 200 year old traditional lemon or lavender scented 80% alcohol based sanitizer, ubiquitous in Turkish culture. Borrowed from the Germans during the Ottoman Empire, it is a symbol of hospitality, personal care, and good health. Because of the high ethanol content, it was difficult to find in stores during the pandemic. I learned something today :)

@ewk
For me, all Turkish lemon scented Colognes are cheap copies of iconic 4711. The only and true traditional Turkish cologne is Atalier Rebul’s Alcoolat de Lavande.
Recently, I discovered Kertil Çam Colognes which is artisanally produced by a family starting from 50’s. I especially can recommend their exclusive series.
(Their site is Turkish only as they has not got international attention yet.)
Using ready made aftershave products is a lazy man’s job. (At least for me) You can made your custom right after your shave by mixing a thiny amounts your chosen natural oils/butters, HA, creams etc. by application of them sequentally or mixing with some EdC/EdT etc.
(Sorry for English, it’s not my mother tongue.)

Last edited:
Had a shave in Antalya 10 year’s ago but don’t recall the aftershave, but the shave itself was great! Also was lucky enough to purchase a Rocnel razor of a B&B member, is now one of my favourite razors.

This arrived in the mail today. It looks like a glass bottle, but it is actually plastic. It did not fair well in shipping. I am trying to explore what different barbershops of the world might regard as a "barbershop scent." It is my understanding that lemon colognes like this are more often used as hand sanitizer or refreshing splashes rather than aftershaves. To my nose, it is not dissimilar to 4711, yet 4711 has a more detectable floral note than this does. According to Fragrantica, the notes on this one are lemon, lemon blossom, and woody notes.
IMG_6579.jpg

This arrived in the mail today. It looks like a glass bottle, but it is actually plastic. It did not fair well in shipping. I am trying to explore what different barbershops of the world might regard as a "barbershop scent." It is my understanding that lemon colognes like this are more often used as hand sanitizer or refreshing splashes rather than aftershaves. To my nose, it is not dissimilar to 4711, yet 4711 has a more detectable floral note than this does. According to Fragrantica, the notes on this one are lemon, lemon blossom, and woody notes.
View attachment 1495622
Great Cologne from Pereja, my favorite. But these are not aftershaves, they are hand fresheners and Sanitizers. It Burns like crazy

More than two years after my initial inquiry, I have finally purchased a 400 ml bottle of Duru Kolonya. To complete my participation in Arko August, I find Duru Kolonya to be a fine complement to Arko. It packs a strong lemon Pledge wallop at first, mellows to a lemon candy, and dissipates within minutes to almost no scent, allowing the gentle soapy aroma of Arko to stand proud. During these hottest days of August, lemon kolonya is a very refreshing post-shave addition. Thanks to all who introduced me to it.

20230814_204229.jpg

Based on your report, I gave some Duru lemon a shot and it arrived today. I live in a warm part of the country and refreshing summer stuff is what I love at this time of year - limes, coconut, grapefruit, Florida Water, 4711, etc. I’m also a bay-rum-is-a-summer-scent guy.

Lemon is only a natural extension of all this, and I enjoy taking a page from the traditional choices of other warm-summer countries, so I’ll definitely enjoy this.

Top Bottom