What's new

Traditional SR Shaving Instructions for Beginners - Rev. F

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Attached is a copy of the latest revision of Traditional SR Shaving Instructions For Beginners (Rev. F). It now includes all sections; Shaving Instructions, Pasted Balsa Strops and Lapping Films Honing From Bevel Set to Shave-Ready.

It's a big file but a wealth of knowledge.

Attachments

• SR Shaving Instructions Rev F.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 192

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If the video in Annex II doesn't play for you, you can watch it on YouTube here:

I have to say, I think this makes it seem significantly harder and more complicated than it is, and very discouraging. There's tons of discouragement to straight razor shaving already, this seems to systematize it

Maybe breaking it into separate documents would be good, though I have to say the detailed prescriptiveness just rubs me the wrong way.

My personal take I suppose, to each their own

@CpnStumpy I was thinking the same after I posted it. Next revision I might do a rewrite and break it up into more manageable parts.
Yeah, the technical part of using a straight is I think the best hook to kinda quick start people into it - I would do section 5-8 in one "Your first shave" doc, that's where folks ought to start, separately an equipment acquisition doc detailing necessary and unnecessary equipment with annex 1, and a maintenance doc with necessary stropping instructions and the rest of the parts about mail off, and balsas and stones and films oh my.

Also it's missing puck in mug lathering

A good first shave instruction is likely where a lot of people are starting already having gotten something - informed purchase or not, and that quick start will do a fine job getting them through the fun part, actually shaving! after which everything else will be less intimidating when they read about better acquisition approach and stropping and their future maintenance

A a beginner, there are a few points which helped me a lot:

* To start with, the 'danger' is waving the razor around. It's way easier to cut yourself when *not shaving* than when shaving. Ie you move around, position the blade, turn etc and *nip* -- So I think a point about being Blade Aware at All Times is important. I even managed to nip my other hand!
* To me, to start with, to find the angle without being dangerous, I found that it was a lot easier to put the blade *flat* where I wanted to cut, then raise a bit to the 'angle' and start cutting from there. A flat blade is pretty safe.
* Make long cuts. Ie once you start cutting, you are 'safe' for that cut, mostly. So make use of that cut and don't try to do the 'chick chick chick' multi-stroke you see in videos. It did come in time, but to start with, everytime you move the blade of the skin without the necessary control, you risk a cut.

I think another point is 'expectations' -- the first time I tried SR shaving, I had a 'shave ready' razor, and I was really wondering if it was cutting properly. I had 2 days of growth (I though I needed some more than 1 day somehow, that would help) and the blade was skipping etc due to 1) bad angle 2) lack of proper grip -- ie bad technics.
As it turns out, the razor was fine, I was just expecting the razor to magically cut thru the beard without zero effort, and I was very confused when it didn't. The feeling is wildly different than with a DE.

In any case, thansk fro the time you spent doign that document -- I agree with @CpnStumpy tho, it's a BIG chunk to read for a pure newbie. I would think...

Also, do a search for "plenty of lather in your bush" in the document :)

As tempting as it is to use a different razor every day, it can take a moment to adjust between a 4/8 full hollow and an 8/8 near wedge. Something to be said for really dialing into the same razor for 3 to 5 consecutive shaves.

Top Bottom