What's new

Traditional Shaving euphoria, Now what?

So, over the past year and with the advice of the amazing members at B&B, I have perfected my shaving skills, acquired some great DE razors, shaving creams, brushes and blades. I find these days that the traditional shaving euphoria I experienced in the beginning is on a permanent downslope since I once again view shaving as a mundane daily chore. Anyone else feel the same way and what do you do to keep your shave interesting?
This hasn't happened to me, but there always seems something new to try. SEs, slants, very old vintages, and even a dabbling into straights. Endless soaps/creams. I just always have a new fascination to try out and enjoy. I wish you luck in rekindling your love/euphoria!

I've come to view my morning ritual as an overall experience--with the shave being part of it---right now in my shower there are 10 different soaps and 8 different shampoos---ya its getting cluttered.

Everyday is a new experience with all the razor, blade, brush, shave cream/soap, body soap/wash and shampoo combos. I still have leftover carts and goo and could go to that for even more variance.

There's been a couple times standing in the shower almost paralyzed by all the choices trying to decide what to use for that day.

About the only thing I haven't changed up is the toothpaste----hhhhhmmm, I guess there's one more thing I can add to the mix.

I think I need to go take a shower

Last edited:
Three words for you. Straight Razor Shaving... Bored are you? Looking for something more challenging? Are you ready to acquire not just a shave but a skill? Does a really close shave sound interesting? Being in full control of your shave, isn't for everyone. It takes daring. It takes patience & discipline. It takes all manner of commitment, meditation and drive.

Interesting and totally contrary line of thinking to me. Lets see, Bored? Yes. Looking for something more challenging? No, to me that equates to pounding nails with your fist when you are holding a hammer in the other hand Master a skill? No, close and comfortable, not perfection is always my goal. Does a really close shave sound interesting? No, not when beards grow back a few hours later.

Have I found the best shaving setup? probably not since none of my shaving gear is high end, but I am fine with that so long as I never have to return to Cartridges. I could probably afford to upgrade my game, but is it worth it? Wouldn't that be like a Heroin Addict being obsessed with sourcing the purest heroin in the hopes of reliving that initial glorified euphoria they experienced when they first tried the drug?

I am curious what others have experienced once the initial Newbie euphoria of wet shaving dies off?

Top Bottom