What's new

Traditional Shaving euphoria, Now what?

So, over the past year and with the advice of the amazing members at B&B, I have perfected my shaving skills, acquired some great DE razors, shaving creams, brushes and blades. I find these days that the traditional shaving euphoria I experienced in the beginning is on a permanent downslope since I once again view shaving as a mundane daily chore. Anyone else feel the same way and what do you do to keep your shave interesting?

Tomorrow, try putting the blade in backwards. :001_smile

I've been into wet shaving for the past 9 months or so. The initial stumbles of nicks/weepers/razor burn/terrible shaves are long gone. However, the excitement has definitely toned down.

I "keep it fresh" by surfing these boards (which at this point is probably more of a social thing than actually learning how to shave) and by being mindful when I shave. When I decide to focus on whatever soap I feel like using that morning, how I lather and the feel of it on my skin, and the cool metal of the razor gliding across my skin, I end up enjoying it more than when I don't.

Short version - while the excitement fades, being relaxed and focused generally gives me an enjoyable shave.

I have been wet shaving for over a year now, and I still find it fun, the reason? Maybe its the amount of product I own (razors, soaps, brushes and so forth). Its all the different combos that make it fun.

Pick up a new product or tool that you've been curious about. If your tired of eating chicken every night, go for the steak!
Or else you can pick up another OCD hobby similar to this : ) I got into pipe smoking on occasion. Not to encourage bad habits like smoking, but there are similar old school hobbies similar to wetshaving out there if you are interested.

Trying new things is what I have been doing this past year but my mindset these days is once you master your technique, find and stock the best shaving setup, isn't it really all about tweaking what you already have rather than trying whole new setups or do most people just move onto other hobby interests?

I'm searching for that special unicorn horn oil made by wood nymphs from the Redwood forest that makes my beard grow faster so I can shave twice a day:drool:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 113
I keep it fresh by rotating my 25+ soaps, along with a few different blades, a couple of brushes, and a handful of after shave products. Every day becomes a little treat.

I'm searching for that special unicorn horn oil made by wood nymphs from the Redwood forest that makes my beard grow faster so I can shave twice a day:drool:

proxy.php

Hmm...

proxy.php

Enter: Bleen

proxy.php

Apply to desired areas. Problem solved.

Or, I guess you could shave different areas. Morning: Face. Afternoon: Neck. Evening: Arms. Bedtime: {redacted}

Constantly exploring and learning: new techniques, products, and their backgrounds. A year in, I'm still engaged and jazzed.

Trying new things is what I have been doing this past year but my mindset these days is once you master your technique, find and stock the best shaving setup, isn't it really all about tweaking what you already have rather than trying whole new setups or do most people just move onto other hobby interests?
But have you found the best shaving setup??

while the excitement fades, being relaxed and focused generally gives me an enjoyable shave.

After over 7 years of DE shaving daily I totally agree.

I have however to my surprise found some interesting new aspects of wet shaving during the last year - Mystic Water and Pannacrema soaps and the Aristocrat razors. Yes, I know I'm late to the party...

British Aristocrat #22 found in the wild in Sweden

British Aristocrat #16, US Aristocrat '34 in Rhodium and my Ilmarinen system razor in black chrome​

The sweet feeling of using these vintage razors has been a big surprise for me. I have owned and used almost all of the US Gillette models but nothing compares to these. The strange thing is I own these by coincidence and luck, not by looking for them. I was settled on using my system razor for the rest of my life when they popped up.

Enjoy your shaves!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go back to cartridges and canned cream. Feel the difference and come back. Help a new guy. Shave everyday and be thankful for this new way of life. Or not, the choice is yours.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Anyone else feel the same way and what do you do to keep your shave interesting?

Three words for you. Straight Razor Shaving... Bored are you? Looking for something more challenging? Are you ready to acquire not just a shave but a skill? Does a really close shave sound interesting?

Being in full control of your shave, isn't for everyone. It takes daring. It takes patience & discipline. It takes all manner of commitment, meditation and drive. It takes discernment of self to be ready. How will you know if you are ready? What is discernment?

You won't know why you know. You won't know how you know. You just will know...

Probably because you're bored. :wink2:

Three words for you. Straight Razor Shaving... Bored are you? Looking for something more challenging? Are you ready to acquire not just a shave but a skill? Does a really close shave sound interesting?

Being in full control of your shave, isn't for everyone. It takes daring. It takes patience & discipline. It takes all manner of commitment, meditation and drive. It takes discernment of self to be ready. How will you know if you are ready? What is discernment?

You won't know why you know. You won't know how you know. You just will know...

Probably because you're bored. :wink2:
And I have 3 words for you Double Edge Razor.:001_tt2:

Top Bottom