What's new

Traditional Lathering vs. Modern Gels

Inpsired by laziness some days, I have realized that my shaves with tube gels (i.e., Jack Black Beard Lube, Neutrogena) are just as close as when I use bowl lathered creams. Perhaps I am not building a good lather but what got me thinking is that I am wasting so much water when I clean up my brush and the mess created with traditional lathering, which living in drought stricken Southern California really makes me question my purpose. I am thinking of giving up my brushes and fancy Sandalwood creams and just going the gel route. Am I missing something, what do the cream lathers provide that a modern thin gel does not?

Some of the best shaves I've ever had were with just a few drops of shaving oil or with shave jelly (there's a few threads on B&B about shave jelly if you search for them); the Jack Black may be a branded version of the generic unscented base product I used, but I don't know that for a fact. There are also some truly excellent brushless creams out there and I often use my Palmolive straight from the tube as a brushless cream when I don't feel like using the brush. Use what you like, what works well for you, and fits with your lifestyle or values.

Last edited:
Just tried my first shave gel today. The Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Shave Gel.

The results were good and I certainly didn't hate it. I missed the brush and the scents that a good cream or soap offer. I will use the gel again, but it is, for me, not my first inclination.

You can use any type of lather or gel you wish, but I would suggest that there are better alternatives.

I have tried well over 200 soaps, creams, and gels trying to find the very best. I have yet to find a cream or gel that can come close to providing the superior shaving experience of a top tier artisan soap that is properly hydrated and applied using a good brush.

I despise non-lathering creams like Jack Black and Alba Botanica. I can tolerate water-miscible creams like Cremo that become incredibly slick when mixed with water. Cremo will develop a pseudo lather when used with a brush. It is my choice when traveling as it fits into my toiletry bag better than a tub of soap. At home I have a soap rotation consisting of about 80 soaps, but there is nary a cream or gel in the lot. I do not know of any that can compete.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Just tried my first shave gel today. The Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Shave Gel.

The results were good and I certainly didn't hate it. I missed the brush and the scents that a good cream or soap offer. I will use the gel again, but it is, for me, not my first inclination.
I didn't realise they made a gel. I have the shaving cream and it really works for me. Very good slick lather with great post shave feel.

Just on the topic of non-lathering shaving creams and such, like Cremo and the others. Since they seem to contain lots of fats that are not saponified. Don't they potentially clog the drains worse over time versus regular shaving soaps? My wife complains that, if I use Cremo that it gunks up the sink much worse and I was just wondering if anyone has any idea regarding that.

Just on the topic of non-lathering shaving creams and such, like Cremo and the others. Since they seem to contain lots of fats that are not saponified. Don't they potentially clog the drains worse over time versus regular shaving soaps? My wife complains that, if I use Cremo that it gunks up the sink much worse and I was just wondering if anyone has any idea regarding that.

The ingredient listing for Cremo is: Water (Aqua), Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Glycol Distearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Polyether-1, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Xylitol, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit and Carica Papaya Fruit Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Linalool, Limonene, BHT, Perfluoromethylcyclopentane, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum).

The primary chemical used is sodium cocoyl isethionate which is a synthetic detergent/surfactant derived from coconut oil. This detergent is used in a lot of shampoos. Creamo does have some stearic acid, which is a type of fat. It also has some Macadamia seed/nut oil. Because there are no hydroxides in the formula, this is not considered to be a soap. Without hydroxides, any fats are unsaponified and might cause an issue if you have very hard water.

Well in a pinch I have , used BAR SOAP was not great, but its beat DRY SHAVING.
This morning one of the guys I see regularly at the park mentioned his shaved head. I asked what razor he used and he didn't say the name but said it was a cart that he found lasted a good while. He then went on to say that he dry shaves only. If it got to feeling rough he'd throw on a little water. He said it was an old habit he developed in the military.

Back on topic...

I've tried Barbasol 1919 and found it be very slick, but it does clog up the razor if you don't use really hot water to rinse. Dove Men + care 3 in one works as a decent enough shave soap. Not as good as a dedicated soap or cream, but good enough. I'd probably take it over the 1919 just because of the visual aid.

I don’t use Cremo because it seems to react badly with my high-calcium water to produce a sticky, waterproof gunk that is very difficult to remove. Several other tube creams are almost as bad.

However, I do like Giovanni Tea and Mint Shave Cream in a tube. It is vegan, and I’m definitely NOT, but it shaves well and rinses fairly easily.

I also like the Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel, except for the big can.

I have wondered if I should try other vegan shave soaps. All of the tallow-based soaps I’ve tried also form the sticky gunk to varying degrees, though Cremo is the worst for whatever reason.

Btw, I have used citric acid (usually sold with home canning supplies) in the basin to neutralize my alkaline, limestone-loaded tap water. It does help some with the gunk, but that was offset by the rapid cooling.

I’m of the opinion that the “fancy” slick creams and soaps just get in the way of the blade. Barbasol Original gives me close shave comparable to Tabac soap, which I consider to be one of the best performers of the stuff I’ve tried.

Best non-lathering gel I ever used was a small complimentary tube in a hotel in Tokyo. I believe it had aloe in it but that's all I remember. It was unscented...and didn't take much, the tube lasted me a week and it was the best shaves I ever got with a twin blade cartridge.

Unfortunately this was in about 1999 so I have absolutely no recollection of the details. But it made an impression, that's for sure.

I prefer the usual soaps most gents use around here, but I noticed that since I started this hobby about 10 years ago, using all these nice soaps, that my sink drain clogs up about every 18 months or so. I stopped using tallow soaps two years ago, but my sink still clogs up.
So just last month I decided I was sick of running a snake through my drainpipe, so I gave up on all those nice soaps. I now use canned soap, Barbasol. I think canned soap feels like plastic lather but that is what I am now stuck to using.

I despise non-lathering creams like Jack Black...
This is comical as that is what I am currently using and the only other cream I have ever used besides TAOS Sandalwood. I did wonder about the flat lather I produced with my face lathering and questioned my technique. I do have a tub of Proraso red in the drawer that I may have to give a try. Currently I only use the gel for my lazy days as face lathering has become my new joy with great shave results. My kitchen bowl lathering was a major FAIL. I waste less cream and water with face lathering.

I still have to find (not that I am searching :001_cool:) a brushless cream or gel that I like.

As a face-latherer, I enjoy the sensation of creating a rich lather with a brush. After some pre-shave prep (essentially washing my face with a sponge), building up lather with a brush on my face also takes just the right amount of time to saturate the skin with water and soften the whiskers. IMO this makes for a far superior shave than using gel or foam.

Having been based in a desert location for 34 years, I also know that one can save water using a shaving mug, scuttle or simply fill one’s bathroom sink with warm water. There is no need to resort to a shaving gel to do that.

Gel and foam may be fine for some, but for me it is clearly not the way forward.

B.

Last edited:
Eh. I really like Jack Black beard lube for the purpose of removing facial hair. It’s quick and pretty fool proof, especially if shaving when still half asleep and don’t want to worry about over aeration of cream/soap, too much or not enough water, etc. also don’t need any accessories, such as a brush, so kudos on travel factor. And it’s more efficient.

But, it is not something that I ‘enjoy’ shaving with. The enjoyment factor is the hobby element, the slow down and savor the moment piece. Do I want to savor the shave? Not always. But, if it strikes me: Trumper’s Lime when it’s hot out, Tabula Rasa (several scents) in cooler months.

I look at this way. The double edge safety razor is clearly more economical and most definitely better for your skin, so “technological advancements” like multi blade cartridges are a fraud. However, the same can’t be said for modern creams and after shave lotions in terms of performance and skin health. Let’s face it 😊 using any kind of soap on your face with a brush especially is damaging to the skin. So I do have some soaps but I typically use Blu Atlas shave cream and have used the Jack Black product and I think over the long run they are easier on if not very beneficial to your skin.

It would be foolish not to acknowledge this. I get the hobby and nostalgia but you only have one face.

I started out with Proraso Green several months ago. It took me a long time to master getting a decent lather but it finally fell into place.
I saw a tube of Cremo Classic in the local grocery and looked at the description on the package. I'm not sure I'd ever even heard of it. I tried it the next day and was immediately blown away. No, it doesn't lather. No, I don't use a brush. But for me, it provides a fantastic, slick shave and I confess on a daily basis, it's my favorite. But I still enjoy whipping up some Proraso Green or a couple of Stirling soaps or now some Tabac, which I just added to my soap arsenal and I deem my favorite of the puck soaps. I take my time and enjoy it.
The point is I like both kinds of shave creams/soaps. It really depends on my mood that day. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Once I got into the artisan and tradiotional lathering, I haven't looked back. It took me a bit of time to learn to make a good lather with a brush but once I did figure it out, yea all my shaves have been with a brush and a puck, it has done me great, I have thorougly enjoyed my shaves with them.

Top Bottom