What's new

Traditional Lathering vs. Modern Gels

Best non-lathering gel I ever used was a small complimentary tube in a hotel in Tokyo. I believe it had aloe in it but that's all I remember. It was unscented...and didn't take much, the tube lasted me a week and it was the best shaves I ever got with a twin blade cartridge.

Unfortunately this was in about 1999 so I have absolutely no recollection of the details. But it made an impression, that's for sure.
I just got back from a trip to Tokyo and I,too, was given some m ch smaller samples of non-lathering shave stuff. It was branded Schick and it worked pretty well.

So I went to a store and purchased a container of it for future travel needs. I bought one labelled Premium, and it turns out it was not the same stuff. This stuff is completely clear and a bit gelatinous, but it is very slick and shaves great. Has a nice, light scent to it, too.

The complimentary two-bladed disposable razor they handed out is a Kai, and it is better than any disposable razor i've ever tried.

They definitely get better cheap stuff in Japan than we do here in the states. I think the container of shave gel I bought was about 5 US dollars.

Glad I am not the only one thinking this way, so thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Since I posted this, I have converted to face lathering with hard soaps, which has worked out really well, both from performance and resource usage perspectives. However, when I have to use the Jack Black lube for lazy touch ups, it always amazes me how well it works.

@Calyshaver I don’t care that it costs more but is $35 for a 6 month supply really that bad when it also doubles as after shave? The shaves are always first rate and totally predictable no matter how much growth you are taking off.

I've used some gels I have been impressed by and happily use repeatedly but I prefer the cleansing characteristics of lathering creams and soaps.

Can this be actually measured?

That's a good question.

I just meant that hard shaving soaps are, well... soaps or detergents, and most lathering creams are basically just thick liquid or otherwise soft soaps or detergents. In contrast, many or most of the latherless gels and creams I've used rinse off pretty well but don't really seem to have anything in them that are cleansers in the sense that usually means with grooming products.

To be fair, I've thought it might be nice sometimes to have a latherless shaving gel or cream that isn't a cleanser (for example in the winter when I might want to keep my skin from drying out too much) but usually I like the cleansing characteristics of a lathering shaving soap or cream.

@Calyshaver I don’t care that it costs more but is $35 for a 6 month supply really that bad when it also doubles as after shave? The shaves are always first rate and totally predictable no matter how much growth you are taking off.
I agree. I did the the test today, the one that I knew I had to do but was afraid of the result, and my fears were founded. I did a full Jack Black Beard Lube shave today and it was great. Because it is a clear gel, I could see what I was shaving and I was not flying blind through a soapy souffle. Instead of 30 minutes from prep to cleanup, it was only 15. Since I started this thread, I had become pretty good with face lathering from a soap, but once again I am second guessing which technique. I think I will continue to use both methods, one for a relaxing nostalgic shave, and one for a no thrills effective and quick shave, like todays.

(I can get the 16 oz JB for $28 with my wife's 20% employee discount)

When I started shaving with a DE, I switched from canned gel to a brush and TOBS cream (tub).

I continued to use my Harry's carts on my head, because I feared the DE due to my inexperience, and also used the Edge gel just to finish it up.

All to say: once the gel was gone I switched to using a brush and cream my head shaves were noticeably better, even with my carts.

So, for me, there is a difference.

When I started shaving with a DE, I switched from canned gel to a brush and TOBS cream (tub).

I continued to use my Harry's carts on my head, because I feared the DE due to my inexperience, and also used the Edge gel just to finish it up.

All to say: once the gel was gone I switched to using a brush and cream my head shaves were noticeably better, even with my carts.

So, for me, there is a difference.
Yeah, I don't know what to make of it all, as it is a perpetual experiment with each shave yielding different results because one or another variable has been unintentionally altered. I think I am overthinking it a bit and should just shut up and shave. It is not a cost savings thing, although that is a thrill, but in the big scheme of things and this short life on planet Earth, we should just shave the way we get joy. Amen.

Top Bottom