What's new

Trading up

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Are the SV brushes actually hand-tied knots? I’ve always loved the look of them and really hope to try one out at some point, but I didn’t know them to be hand-tied.
I suspect that in truth every knot is hand tied. They are either hand tied by Chinese workers on low wages and in receipt of questionable employment conditions, or, in the case of Simpson, they are hand tied by skilled craftspeople in my own country who receive fair wages and benefits. For me what matters is where they are tied, not how they are tied. If they are not hand tied then how else are they made?
When I got my first SV brush, the knot was billed as "hand tied". Hard to say if the current production is still hand tied as the SV site now bills the knot as "a two-band High Mountain White Badger knot from Manchuria".

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
When I got my first SV brush, the knot was billed as "hand tied". Hard to say if the current production is still hand tied as the SV site now bills the knot as "a two-band High Mountain White Badger knot from Manchuria".
Apologies, I was not being clear, I meant that every knot by every maker is hand tied, from the cheapest $5 brush to the most expensive, not just SV. They are all hand tied by somebody - but by who? That is the question.

Agree with the suggestion of Yaqi for a cheaper first badger(s). I have their Highmountain silvertip and a silvertip in a fan knot and both are quite nice. Normal prices are reasonable, even better on their big 11/11 sale though we're aways off from that now.

My favorite higher end badger brushes are my two Paladins.

Agree with the suggestion of Yaqi for a cheaper first badger(s). I have their Highmountain silvertip and a silvertip in a fan knot and both are quite nice. Normal prices are reasonable, even better on their big 11/11 sale though we're aways off from that now.

My favorite higher end badger brushes are my two Paladins.
How does yaqi silvertips compare to high end silvertips?

SV brushes have been mentioned. I've one and will say it's a wonderful brush. Whips up a superb lather in a bowl, or luxury face lathering brush. I can't fault it.

Top Bottom