What's new

Trading up

Greetings everyone. I have been traditional wet shaving for about 1.5 years. I started with the usual economical boar brush. I have gradually moved up to a WCS finest badger honeycomb handle brush, about $40 on sale, which I enjoy very much. My next move would probably be a white tip badger, something luxurious. Going up to about $200 US what does my wonderful colleges recommend? Thanks very much. Ron Lynn Massachusetts

I would recommend looking at Rudy Vey, Elite, Paladin, Thater and ShaveMac.

A Simpson or Morris and Forndran Silvertip might be the best available (IMO) but they are more in the $300 range.

All of the above mentioned are world class and you can’t go wrong with either.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Greetings everyone. I have been traditional wet shaving for about 1.5 years. I started with the usual economical boar brush. I have gradually moved up to a WCS finest badger honeycomb handle brush, about $40 on sale, which I enjoy very much. My next move would probably be a white tip badger, something luxurious. Going up to about $200 US what does my wonderful colleges recommend? Thanks very much. Ron Lynn Massachusetts
My personal favorite Badger brushes are Rudy Vey with the Shavemac 2-Band Badger Fan knot.
20211127_193157.jpg
20211024_115955~2.jpg
20211124_103529~2.jpg
20211028_142948~2.jpg

If you want to go with a high end hand tied knot, I like the Saponifcio Varesino Custom LE brushes with the hand-tied 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot.
20211225_160313~2.jpg
20210909_142608~2.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

Before plunging that deep I would suggest that you return to West Coast Shaving for one of their Silvertip brushes so you will have a better idea of the difference between Finest and Silvertip. You may well be more comfortable with a higher end Finest and you should see what a Silvertip is all about before you make the plunge.

Personally, I'm addicted to Silvertip but I enjoy my Finest brushes too.

Also, I have two high end (price wise) Silvertips, a Kent BK 8 and a Kent BK 12. I enjoy them both, however I have brushes that are every bit as nice that I spent far less on.

Well knowing how much the YMMV factor comes into play I would consider trying a couple of other types before shelling out really big bucks -- something in synthetic like the Razorock Monster or PAA Amber Aerolite and perhaps a horsehair (never been there so I can't name a specific one). You would still have over $150 left to invest if none of those hit a home run.

If you want to go with a high end hand tied knot, I like the Saponifcio Varesino Custom LE brushes with the hand-tied 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot.
View attachment 1388307View attachment 1388308

Hope this helps. :)
Are the SV brushes actually hand-tied knots? I’ve always loved the look of them and really hope to try one out at some point, but I didn’t know them to be hand-tied.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Are the SV brushes actually hand-tied knots? I’ve always loved the look of them and really hope to try one out at some point, but I didn’t know them to be hand-tied.
I suspect that in truth every knot is hand tied. They are either hand tied by Chinese workers on low wages and in receipt of questionable employment conditions, or, in the case of Simpson, they are hand tied by skilled craftspeople in my own country who receive fair wages and benefits. For me what matters is where they are tied, not how they are tied. If they are not hand tied then how else are they made?

Top Bottom