What's new

Tradere Is Back

Thank you for clarifying that.
I guess I will have go with the SB.
For reference, my favorite razor is a NEW SC which is smooth and efficient without a lot of blade feel. Does that sound right to you in terms of comparison?

That's a very good explanation for me/us . That sounds like a terrific way to go also, in my opinion. Thank you much, Sir

I have to laugh at myself over the fact I've never really had any interest in obtaining a Tradere, but all it took was a pic of the one completed SB razor posted by Shane upthread for me to nod to myself and say "yep, one of those SB versions shall be mine, whether on initial release day or thereafter."

I can be such a pushover when encountering such high quality craftsmanship. I've been strongly considering blind purchasing a Russian adjustable razor, but I shall instead save my Shaving Habit Fund $$ for a Tradere, assuming I can beat anticipated rush upon release.

I have to laugh at myself over the fact I've never really had any interest in obtaining a Tradere, but all it took was a pic of the one completed SB razor posted by Shane upthread for me to nod to myself and say "yep, one of those SB versions shall be mine, whether on initial release day or thereafter."

I can be such a pushover when encountering such high quality craftsmanship. I've been strongly considering blind purchasing a Russian adjustable razor, but I shall instead save my Shaving Habit Fund $$ for a Tradere, assuming I can beat anticipated rush upon release.

If you are referring to the TAIGA, I was going to pick one up also but changed my mind after they changed the design of the adjustment dial last minute. I like my Rex just fine but preferred the smoothness of my Gibbs so I wanted to give them a try for their version. 2 plates (SB and OC) and the ability to easily disassemble for cleaning also.

It may be a small thing but the dial of their prototype was so much better and was a great nod to the Gibbs before they changed it. Actually waiting to see if they change it back. Don’t think that dial change goes with the style of the razor, almost looks like an afterthought to separate themselves from the Rex. Both are based on the Gibbs and their handle and head are different than the Rex so I don’t get why they did that.

If you are referring to the TAIGA, I was going to pick one up also but changed my mind after they changed the design of the adjustment dial last minute. I like my Rex just fine but preferred the smoothness of my Gibbs so I wanted to give them a try for their version. 2 plates (SB and OC) and the ability to easily disassemble for cleaning also.

It may be a small thing but the dial of their prototype was so much better and was a great nod to the Gibbs before they changed it. Actually waiting to see if they change it back. Don’t think that dial change goes with the style of the razor, almost looks like an afterthought to separate themselves from the Rex. Both are based on the Gibbs and their handle and head are different than the Rex so I don’t get why they did that.

I have similar thoughts, but also, location, location, location! I just didn't want to deal with super long shipping times, being an early adopter and all, should there be a warranty/build issue. I think I've finally decided the only way I'll purchase is if a North American vendor offers to sell them. Like you, I own the Ambassador, and am really interest in the Taiga based on early reviews about smoothness/apparently less blade forwardness.

Thank you for clarifying that.
I guess I will have go with the SB.
For reference, my favorite razor is a NEW SC which is smooth and efficient without a lot of blade feel. Does that sound right to you in terms of comparison?

Between the OC and SB, I think the SB is right choice if you like the NEW. But overall I don't find the Tradere and NEW to be particularly similar.

To clarify, there are two original Tradere OC versions - Gen 1 and Gen 2. There is only one SB which was offered the same time as the Gen 2 OC. Gen 1 OC is more aggressive than both the Gen 2 OC and SB. Gen 2 OC and SB are similar with the OC being just a bit more efficient as most open combs are.

We are only creating the Gen 1 OC and SB versions. So fans of blade feel and aggressiveness should choose the OC. Fans of smoothness with pretty good efficiency will want the SB.

Ranked by decreasing aggressiveness
Gen1 OC > Gen2 OC > SB
I have the Blackbird SS SB (which I love). Which would be closest to it with respect to aggressiveness - the Gen 1 or Gen 2 OC?

I’ve always been a fan of Blackland and love the blackbird and vector.... but am I the only one who thinks the Tradere is ugly as hell?
It may not be to your taste, but it genuinely surprises me that anyone would characterize this as "ugly as hell". Well, that's fine ... fat women need loving, too.

It may not be to your taste, but it genuinely surprises me that anyone would characterize this as "ugly as hell". Well, that's fine ... fat women need loving, too.

I think it’s the handle. The head itself is beautiful and I love the polishing/details on the under cap. The handle reminds me of a cheap RazorRock GC handle.

I’ve always been a fan of Blackland and love the blackbird and vector.... but am I the only one who thinks the Tradere is ugly as hell?

Lol I'm sure you're not the only one. A few years ago a member on another forum said that the Blackbird handle reminded him of a literal douche nozzle. I still laugh about that all the time. I guess the point is that no design pleases everyone.

Lol I'm sure you're not the only one. A few years ago a member on another forum said that the Blackbird handle reminded him of a literal douche nozzle. I still laugh about that all the time. I guess the point is that no design pleases everyone.
LMAO!!! The Blackbird is a beauty! And I appreciate you not getting bent out of shape with my comment. I assume that the handle is the way that it is to pay homage to the original razor. It does have a classic appeal. And that’s probably my issue. I prefer modern.

LMAO!!! The Blackbird is a beauty! And I appreciate you not getting bent out of shape with my comment. I assume that the handle is the way that it is to pay homage to the original razor. It does have a classic appeal. And that’s probably my issue. I prefer modern.

I rarely get offended at all, but especially not about business or design criticism. When you make something and put it out into the world you don't get to control what people say about it. It's not personal and I usually just laugh when people rip on something I make because they either have a point (as in the douche case) or they're way off the mark so the comment itself is laughable. In this case, I didn't even design it so there's even less emotional attachment than normal.

I do think it's an attractive design, though. I wouldn't have made it otherwise.

Top Bottom