What's new

Tradere Is Back

I wonder for how long. Do we know if this will be a limited run or a permanent high-end addition to the Blackland lineup.

That really depends on sales. We’re making several hundred for the first batch. If they sell I’ll keep making more. I’m not really into limited production where items sell out immediately. We tend to do relatively large scale production compared to other razor makers.

That really depends on sales. We’re making several hundred for the first batch. If they sell I’ll keep making more. I’m not really into limited production where items sell out immediately. We tend to do relatively large scale production compared to other razor makers.
That is Fantastic news! Thank you Blackland for bringing back the Tradere!! ATM, I’m enjoying the Blackbird and loving it, I hope the Tradere is just as good.

@Graydog Look at the prices for BBS1 once Wolfman got into production. People are paying and looking for the “original” and paying premium prices.

Collectors will be interested in the original. I doubt the prices stay in the $700+ range. It will be interesting to watch.

I never put a lot of effort into tracking one down because I didn't like the brushed/polished combo...and I've always been able to put my hands on a Wolfman for the same money, or cheaper.

I'm sure the original is a good shaver but it will be nice to have a new alternative.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
@Graydog Look at the prices for BBS1 once Wolfman got into production. People are paying and looking for the “original” and paying premium prices.

Look at the price of the Wolfman :)
I think that it will depend on the availability of the new Blackland offering.
I would expect the quality of the new version to be top notch . I will definitely be interested in buying one. For me the original is out of my budget.

That is Fantastic news! Thank you Blackland for bringing back the Tradere!! ATM, I’m enjoying the Blackbird and loving it, I hope the Tradere is just as good.
No offense to Shane, and the Blackbird is a great razor, but for me the original Tradere was a much better shaver.
Caveat is that people have different tastes as far as what they like in a razor, particularly when it comes to how it feels on the face during the shave. The Blackbird definitely has more blade feel than the SB Tradere did. Some people prefer blade feel, so they may prefer the Blackbird. I like a smoother feel, so I prefer the Tradere.

As for me, I'm not super interested in a new Tradere razor. Based on my experience with the Dart, I've finally found a razor maker that makes razors exactly the way I like them. I'm much more interested in Shane's original designs like the Blackbird, when it comes back in stock. So it would seem like this is a smart business decision, regardless of the price on the new Tradere remake, because it'll probably expand Shane's market instead of dividing up Blackbird customers.

No offense to Shane, and the Blackbird is a great razor, but for me the original Tradere was a much better shaver.
Caveat is that people have different tastes as far as what they like in a razor, particularly when it comes to how it feels on the face during the shave. The Blackbird definitely has more blade feel than the SB Tradere did. Some people prefer blade feel, so they may prefer the Blackbird. I like a smoother feel, so I prefer the Tradere.

No offense taken. If I didn’t think the Tradere was both good enough and sufficiently different than the Blackbird I wouldn’t be making it. It goes without saying that I disagree that the Tradere is “much better”, but it doesn’t matter because now I make both. :)

As for me, I'm not super interested in a new Tradere razor. Based on my experience with the Dart, I've finally found a razor maker that makes razors exactly the way I like them. I'm much more interested in Shane's original designs like the Blackbird, when it comes back in stock. So it would seem like this is a smart business decision, regardless of the price on the new Tradere remake, because it'll probably expand Shane's market instead of dividing up Blackbird customers.

I, too, am much more interested in new designs. Design is far and away my favorite part of this business so this is a big departure from my MO. The Tradere is one of very few razors that are worth bringing back.

No offense taken. If I didn’t think the Tradere was both good enough and sufficiently different than the Blackbird I wouldn’t be making it. It goes without saying that I disagree that the Tradere is “much better”, but it doesn’t matter because now I make both. :)
Thanks, Shane.

You're right, "much better" was an overstatement. I got great shaves from both implements; equivalent shaves, even.

Probably should've said that I enjoyed shaving with the Tradere more. My personal preference.

You are right that they are both great razors. I'm really glad that you get to make them both. Richard couldn't have entrusted his design to anybody better, IMO.

I, too, am much more interested in new designs. Design is far and away my favorite part of this business so this is a big departure from my MO. The Tradere is one of very few razors that are worth bringing back.
How will you distinguish between the original and your version of the Tradere? Will you continue with the serial numbers that the original Traderes left off? Will it be a different color? I have originals of the Tradere 1st Gen OC, 2nd Gen OC and the SB

How will you distinguish between the original and your version of the Tradere? Will you continue with the serial numbers that the original Traderes left off? Will it be a different color? I have originals of the Tradere 1st Gen OC, 2nd Gen OC and the SB

They will have Blackland and Tradere on the base plate and serial numbers.

So, does that mean you will be using the original specs? Because that sounds more appealing than a razor that has new specs with the original Tradere "look".

So, does that mean you will be using the original specs? Because that sounds more appealing than a razor that has new specs with the original Tradere "look".

Yes that’s the entire point. This isn’t a Tradere lookalike. This is a Tradere.

The original design drawings and models didn’t survive so we had to reverse engineer it and rebuild from scratch.

I’ll be on FB Live today at 5 Pacific talking about all this and fielding questions. facebook.com/blacklandrazors

I've stopped with razor acquisitions, but to support this, I will be looking to liquidate a few other things. I have an original OC, and 2 handles. Simply awesome. :001_cool:

Thank you, sir, for stepping out on this project!

Top Bottom