What's new

Tradere as first OC-crazy?

I am considering buying my first OC. I had posted a thread regarding the R41, but I really like the all SS construction of the Tradere, plus, it is made in the US. I realize it is certainly not the least expensive razor out there, but just wanted to poll the audience. Crazy to go for this one first?

It costs a bit but it's also a damn good razor, plus if you don't like it I'm sure there's a lot of guys here who would be glad to buy it from you. But as always, get what you want. And getting a less expensive razor first is not a bad idea either. The EJ89 is a good choice and I'm sure the other guys will chime in as well. Good luck

Its an excellent OC razor...one of my favorites. However, I'd recommend buying a Fatip if you are looking for a first time OC razor. Around $35 and I have enjoyed it more than any other razor in my collection. If you want to spend the dough, you will be happy with the Tradere.

The EJ89 isn't an open comb so if that's what your looking for, that won't be it. Most all of the BOTOC'rs recommend a Gillette New to start...this was my path, and it quickly flipped me to the world of OC's. I have an EJ89, and love it, but it isn't efficient like an open comb and I end up doing more passes. More passes = more irritation. They would also recommend a Merkur 1904 type head as that is a more mild OC.

All that being said, I absolutely agree with Huck in that if you choose to go with a Tradere and decide it's not for you it would be rather easy to unload it on the BST. If you read through many of the last few pages of the BOTOC thread, another razor you may want to consider is the FaTip. It is getting alot of love recently. OC's get a bad rap as aggressive. Yes, some are like the '11 R41. I find them to be more efficient for my head and face.

Good luck on your journey and whatever you decide! Let us know.

I have an EJ89, which, like you said is not an OC. It is a very mild safety bar razor and I am looking for something more aggressive and was considering an OC. I will loom at the FaTip. Thanks for the information.

You can't go wrong with either the Tradere or the various FaTips that are out there,I recommend for a FaTip go for the nickel plated version,I think the QC on the nickel is better than the chrome.The nickel comes in Piccolo smaller but heavier,solid handle and the Grande,which is lighter.I'll mention Joris as well since it's within the price range of the Tradere.The Joris is a great well balanced razor,the heads are similiar or the same as the FaTip,I find it to be a smoother shave than the FaTip,plus it's a work of art,as is Tradere.

I,ve got the tradere and the joris i,d drop the money again on the joris well worth the price tag!!!

Joe, for your first OC i would highly recommend a Gillette Old Type of New as they are fantastic razors that you can find for less than $20. That way you can see if you really like OCs and then you can get the Tradere, which is a fantastic razor and beautifully constructed. The FaTip is quite an aggressive razor and if you have no experience with OCs, then i would start with the ones that i suggested, firstly, then progressive to the FaTip and, then, the Tradere for a stainless steel razor. Good luck.

Last edited:
Another vote for the FaTip. At the price, it's a no-brainer, IMO. Go for the Grande, probably.

But no, it wouldn't be "crazy" to go for a Tradere as your first open comb razor. You'd probably love it.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Tradere. I had a good reason which I will share later. Cant wait to try it. Thanks for the info.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Tradere. I had a good reason which I will share later. Cant wait to try it. Thanks for the info.

You won't regret it. A beautiful and beautifully made razor. Feels like a fatboy at 5 but shaves like one at 7.

If it doesn't work out, set it aside for a month or two and try again. I've been amazed at how often a razor that just doesn't work for me in the fall works in the summer and so on. If it still doesn't work out, I bet you can get close to what you paid on the BST, making it an inexpensive experiment.

You can't go wrong with either the Tradere or the various FaTips that are out there,I recommend for a FaTip go for the nickel plated version,I think the QC on the nickel is better than the chrome.The nickel comes in Piccolo smaller but heavier,solid handle and the Grande,which is lighter.I'll mention Joris as well since it's within the price range of the Tradere.The Joris is a great well balanced razor,the heads are similiar or the same as the FaTip,I find it to be a smoother shave than the FaTip,plus it's a work of art,as is Tradere.

Wait, the Piccolo is heavier than the Grande?

That's really interesting. I just assumed Grande meant heavier. Looks like I'll be getting the Piccolo in the future.

Last edited:
Wait, the Piccolo is heavier than the Grande?

That's really interesting. I just assumed Grande meant heavier. Looks like I'll be getting the Piccolo in the future.

The Grande is bigger but has a hollow handle,the Piccolo is smaller but the handle is solid,pretty sure both are made of brass,both shave great,I give the edge to the Piccolo because I like the extra weight for headshaves.Alex and Triad are right,as much as I like the Tradere and the FaTips,I love my Joris,I'd also drop the money again for another one.

My .02 worth....

Every face and every Open Comb is different....a Old Tyoe isnt' going to shave like a 2010 Muhle R41 ...the Fatip is much different i head design than the NEW....and feels totally different....the tradere....unlike any OC on the market today.

It is very hard to make that first recommendation into an Open Comb.....you may hate the tradere, and think all OC shave the same....But they don't.....not even close!

We normally recommend the new....why? The are inexpensive, fairly easy to find, not overly aggressive and MOST people can get a very good shave from them....it is one of the reasons in the Brotherhood of the Open Comb I recommend the fatip so much....they are inexpensive....under $4o shipped, and they give a great smooth close shave....BUT they are not for everyone....some complain they are too aggressive...( I still can't my mind around that....I don't find them too aggressive at all!)

What ever you get....take your time with it...try various blade combos....see what works.....but don't give up if after a day or so your shaves are less than stellar...

Good luck on your sojourn!!

Come on...share now, we cant stand the razor supense

In short, I wanted to buy a razor made in the US that I could pass down to my son. For the longer and more meaningful version, please see the thread entitled, "Celebratory PIF" in the General Shaving sub-forum. I wasn't trying to be cryptic earlier, I promise.

Top Bottom