What's new

Trac ii and store brand cartridges

After 10 months of having a beard and only shaving my neckline with a DE razor, I decided to switch to the clean-shaven look for a while. I enjoy trying out cartridge razors as well as DE razors, and I was curious about older cartridge systems, so I ordered a Gillette 7 O'Clock Pii razor from eBay, along with a package of 5 Gillette Pii cartridges with no lubrastrip. I liked the design of the razor handle, which looks like the classic 1970s Trac ii handle, and has a nice weight to it with heavy plastic and the metal trim that runs along the handle. For the past week I used the first Pii cartridge with both canned Barbasol and a tube of old spice shaving cream from India. I enjoyed the shaves very much, and received a decent shave even with one pass with the grain. Two pass shaves, WTG and ATG were relatively gentle on my skin and provided a good reduction of stubble, especially with a touch up pass around my chin and jawline, which tends to be a difficult place to shave smoothly. Not quite BBS though, and my black stubble was still somewhat visible in contrast to my lighter skin, but I think the Trac ii is very capable of providing me with consistently good shaves.

I bought a package of 10 Topcare brand Twin Pivot Plus cartridges at my local grocery store this week, which have a lubrastrip and I believe are manufactured by Personna. Compared to the Pii cartridges, these were relatively affordable at under $3 for a tray of 10. After a whole week of daily shaves from the first Pii cartridge, I decided to try a Twin Pivot Plus cartridge. Despite the name, these cartridges do not pivot on a Trac ii handle, but they also fit on the pivoting Atra Handle. I decided to use canned Barbasol on my test shave this morning, to compare this cartridge to the Pii cartridge I used yesterday, also with canned Barbasol. Beginning with a pass down my face, which is generally WTG, the shave felt decent, but the lubrastrip made the razor feel unusually smooth, which prevented me to judge by feel and sound how effective it was at cutting my stubble. After my WTG pass, I would rate the results as decent, and in order to accomplish the smoother final result that I prefer, I shaved up my face for an ATG pass. Shaving ATG with this cartridge resulted in a high amount of irritation, as well as a few small nics which I had to address with a styptic pencil following the shave.

My overall opinion is that for my face, these cartridges do not cut as well or as smoothly as the Gillette Pii cartridges, which is unfortunate, considering the difference in cost and availability. I will continue to try shaving with these cartridges, to see if I can achieve smoother and more comfortable results through practice. My questions for this community are whether others have experiences related to Trac ii shaving that they would like to comment on, and what opinions there are on different brands of Trac ii cartridges. Do you prefer cartridges without the lubrastrip? Is it worth taking the lubrastrip out of the cartridge? Are other brands from India and other countries such as the Gallant ii and Supermax worth trying out? Thank you for your opinions, and I'm looking forward to continuing trying out different shaving techniques and products.

I used the Trac II for a few years and still use it to shave my dome. I have always preferred the Gillette brand cartidges over the generic. Here locally these cost $22 for ten at the drugstore, so they are not cheap.

I used the Trac II for a few years and still use it to shave my dome. I have always preferred the Gillette brand cartidges over the generic. Here locally these cost $22 for ten at the drugstore, so they are not cheap.
Do you like the lubrastrip? I find them to be strangely slippery compared to a DE or non-lubricated cartridge. Have you checked eBay for Gillette brand cartridges since that is your preferred brand? A few sellers offer them in bulk packaging, which is certainly more affordable than paying over $2 a cartridge.

I don't like the strip, mostly because it just gets worn and ragged with use. I haven't brought any cartridges for a while, but I will be soon. I will check online when I do. Usually I like to support the local economy when possible.

I am very happy with NOS lube strip free non pivoting twin blade carts from Gillette, Schick and Wilkinson Sword. There are some generic carts available in South East Asia that could be Chinese, I believe the original Wilkinson Sword UK production line ended up in China. These are actually quite good. I have been less impressed with the Supermax carts from India, these are quite easily identified by the wide spacing. I do not buy Personna twin carts.

You should try to mach 3 turbo. I’m not sure why but those are the only blades I can go BBS and not tear my face up going 3 passes. For twin carts, the Gillette Sensor not excel reigned supreme to me, even for a beard .

While I cannot answer this with direct experience, I do keep my dad supplied with Trac II blades.
I purchase the 100 pack of Personna Twin 2 cartridges from amazon that usually runs $11-12.
He significantly prefers them to the ones he’s able to find in the local drugstores and supermarkets, cost not factored in.

While I cannot answer this with direct experience, I do keep my dad supplied with Trac II blades.
I purchase the 100 pack of Personna Twin 2 cartridges from amazon that usually runs $11-12.
He significantly prefers them to the ones he’s able to find in the local drugstores and supermarkets, cost not factored in.

That’s a steal of a price

I've tried what I believe to be Personna carts or maybe made by Dorco even. My Dollar General has a disposable Atra-like handle with these generic carts for a Trac 2. My experience was that the carts from Dollar General tended to clog easily, and there was no way for water to flow through from the front and back to clean them well enough. I don't know if the carts I am talking about are the same ones others have tried. I would just stay away from those carts and either use disposable or go injector.

Go with the Schick twin disposables, fairly sharp and have a cleaning button in the head the pushes hair out for better cleaning.

Check the ‘bay’ for P11 carts, just ordered 25 for about 23$ including shipping, from India. Have not received them so until I do not sure they are genuine as they claim.

If you're able to find them online, I recommend Wilkinson Sword Contact blades ("Contact Plus" has a lube strip), currently made in Solingen, Germany. Great quality - sharp and smooth, but more affordable than Gillette. Also available under the name Wilkinson Sword Duplo II. Both fit Trac II and Atra.

1583768047990.png

I am very happy with NOS lube strip free non pivoting twin blade carts from Gillette, Schick and Wilkinson Sword. There are some generic carts available in South East Asia that could be Chinese, I believe the original Wilkinson Sword UK production line ended up in China. These are actually quite good. I have been less impressed with the Supermax carts from India, these are quite easily identified by the wide spacing. I do not buy Personna twin carts.

I always listen to @Sabre . I picked up a lifetime supply of vintage NOS Gillette/Wilkinson Sword/Schick carts for my Trac II at around an average price of 60 cents per cart. Very happy the shaves from these carts.

There's usually a correlation between price and quality.
That is exactly what I was thinking when I ordered them the first time.
I expected him to hate them, so I ordered GII and PII and a couple sets of old stock Trac II and some other brands.
He ended up liking the super inexpensive ones more than any of the others he’s tried.

Top Bottom