What's new

Toys we grew up with

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I still remember playing with one of those in a toy store when I was little. I wasn't able to talk the folks into letting me bring one home, though.

I do remember another thing I spent a lot of time with. When I was about six or seven I had lots of Star Wars men. One day my dad came home with a big (and I mean bigger than I was) Styrofoam box half, which had dozens of different sized compartments. I believed it may have been from an outboard motor. Anyway, dad got a knife and cut doorways between all the compartments, making it the worlds largest Star Wars play set. That was pretty neat.

Ah, the most important "toy" we had growing up- imagination. With imagination, lots of mundane, every day items became what ever we wanted them to be.

wow no one i know ever mentions m.a.s.k. i remember playing with the car that turned into a plane and the motor cycle that turned into a helicopter. i had a little fm radio too.

what i had plenty of as a kid were micro machines. love those. still have some from when i was a kid which was 20+ years go. oh and the mini micro machines that had the cmaller cars inside.

so did kids lose common sense? everything is a choke hazard. we have servived so far with lead based paint and all the other crap they used to use. i feel that toys no a days suck for the most part. either that or because people are quick to sue and live the rest of their lives on someone elses dollar now the companies have to protect themselves.

I loved M.A.S.K. and nobody today remembers them. I loved the cartoon.

and I had both of the toys you're talking about. Condor the motorcycle and Thunderhawk the Car.

Attachments

• $condor.jpg
    $condor.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 179
  • $thunderhawk.jpg
    $thunderhawk.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the Mask stuff. I had a few of those. I was into Star Wars and GI Joes mostly along with the Atari 2600. I actually played outside with other kids lol. Now kids have $400 cellphones and constantly look down at the ground.

I have some old metal roadbuilding toys, grader, dirt hauler, crane, and concrete mixer, that predate the Tonka toys. Dad got these for me in the late 1940's. Then we had cap guns, rubber band guns, stick horses, for outdoors, as well as balls, bats, & gloves. Indoors we had Lincoln logs, tinker toys, electric trains,and an erector set.

One of my favorite toys was Evel Knievel and his motor cycle. I used to set up all kinds of things for him to jump>

I grew up in a 3 decker house with lots of male cousins. We used to take folding table pads and make a fort covered by a blanket. And inside the fort was, of course, green plastic army men! We had battles inside that fort for years. Sometimes we would stack up jello boxes to create bunkers. Other times we'd tie paper napkins to them and have them parachute off the back porches. Cheap entertainment, lots of imagination and years of memories.

Sue

I guess this shows my aera of growing up,I played with all of the ninja turtle characters but Ray Fillet was by far my favorite, man his vest would change under water he was great.I liked him so much that I recently purchased one in the box just to have.

Attachments

• $TMNT_BA90Pl_rfcc-1_B1-9-2T.jpg
    $TMNT_BA90Pl_rfcc-1_B1-9-2T.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 85
I gotta agree Dirt , thats my favorite , we would dig and play for hours, days..months.. my other favorite was my Blue Schwinn 5 speed Sting Ray Fastback, til some dirt bag stole it, but I got it for xmas and seeing it sitting in front of the tree is still one of my favorite kid memories...I loved that bike.

Legion

Staff member
I gotta agree Dirt , thats my favorite , we would dig and play for hours, days..months.. my other favorite was my Blue Schwinn 5 speed Sting Ray Fastback, til some dirt bag stole it, but I got it for xmas and seeing it sitting in front of the tree is still one of my favorite kid memories...I loved that bike.

Was that one of those ones with the big gear knob on the top bar, that threatened to emasculate you every time you had a crash? I remember them.

That was the first bike I recieved for Christmas (7) aaaaaand when I found out who was Santa:( Christmas eve I sneaked out of my room & opened my door real quietly to see if Santa had come. Well, I saw my dad wheeling in the bike and put it under the tree.:001_unsur I had mixed feelings then. Greatful that HE was the Santa but then again......

Top Bottom