What's new

Tour of Egypt

I wanted to try some of the different blades by Lord. I had tried the Shark Stainless and the Shark Chrome in the distant past and found them to be good blades, but not the best for me. This time around I tried the Lord Platinum, Shark Platinum, Silver Star and Crown blades.

I tried them all for 2 shaves in the same razor, my dependable English Ball-end Tech.

Lord Platinum - I see these marked as platinum or platinum class. Mine only say platinum and the blade is marked Lord and Platinum Super Stainless. These blades are fairly sharp, maybe a 8 out 10 with Feathers/Bics being a 10. The were smooth and held up well for 2 shaves. They were reasonably smooth but not the smoothest I tested, maybe an 8 out of 10. I like these blades. They are also probably the same blade as the Shark Platinum. Blade markings are virtually the same and they shaved the same.

Shark Platinum - The blade is marked as Shark and Platinum Super Stainless. These blades shaved identically to the Lord Platinum and they are probably the same blade. Overall, same ratings as the Lord Platinum.

Silver Star - This is probably the smoothest blade I have ever tried. 10 out of 10 for smoothness. However, they were not as sharp as the other blades, maybe a 7 out of 10 for the first shave and 6 out of 10 for the second. They lost their edge pretty quick. For me, I would only be able to get 1 maybe 2 shaves out of them, so not what I am looking for. Too bad, they are smooth.

Crown - These are marked as "Platinum class" and the blades just have Crown and Super Stainless. No mention of platinum anywhere. I don't think these are the same blade as the Lord or Shark Platinum. They were sharper but not as smooth. They shaved very similar to the Shark Stainless. I think the Shark Stainless and the Crown Platinum Class are the same blade. Sharpness is about 8.5 out of 10 and smoothness about 7 out of 10. Not a bad choice either.

Overall, I am going with the Shark Platinum, they are very cheep right now and are a solid blade. The others were also good blades, but I just like the Lord/Shark Platinum more.

If you are a smoothness junky and don't mind tossing a blade after 1 to 2 shaves, go Silver Star. They are cheap as well so not a big deal to toss after 1 to 2 shaves, still talking 8 to 4 cents per shave.

If sharpness is king, go Crown (or Shark Stainless). Yeah its not as smooth as the others, but it is still pleasant.

Thank you for a good review :)

And this is a typical case of YMMV

For me, Lord Platinum is smoother than Silver Star, but Silver Star is way sharper than Platinum

Both Silver Star and Platinum is good for at least 3 shaves for me.

Lord Super Chrome is another good blade from Lord ;)

I think the Shark Stainless and the Crown Platinum Class are the same blade.
I can clearly see you decided most of Lord blades are the same (i.e. have duplicates with a different brand/model).
Shark Super Stainless and Crown Platinum are worlds apart for me. I have used at least 40 of each in different razors. Shark Super Stainless is much sharper, but much rougher than the Crown Platinum.
I have also used around 10 Silver Stars and these are the sharpest Lord blade. The Shark Super Stainless is close, but the Silver Star is a bit sharper.
Some of the blades you tried will never shine in a ball end Tech. Especially the ones that are not so sharp.

Thank you for a good review :)

And this is a typical case of YMMV

For me, Lord Platinum is smoother than Silver Star, but Silver Star is way sharper than Platinum

Both Silver Star and Platinum is good for at least 3 shaves for me.

Lord Super Chrome is another good blade from Lord ;)

Yep, YMMV is what makes the world go 'round :)

Blades seem to have a large number of variables that go into whether people like them or not. I find it interesting to read the different opinions.

Thanks for the Egyptian tour!

Give also ASCOs orange a try if you come across them, plenty smooth and sharp for me!

Silver Star blades shine in the Fatip open comb razors. Very good smoothness, good sharpness and last 6-7 shaves for me. Quite a bargain at $8/100. I've been using them all through the month of March.

Lord Super Chrome is another good blade from their line.

Lord Silver Stars are a fave of mine. I have easy-to-shave whiskers so the smoothness is incredible and because I'm not beating the blade up much I get 6-7 shaves out of them easily.

The Lord Classic Super Stainless blades ( green packaging ) are another Lord product I stumbled across when I wanted to round an order off to an even number in $$$, and when I used them I was very surprised. I had suspected they were the same as the Shark Stainless which I don't like but was surprised to find I was very happy with them. Just a notch under the Silver Stars for me.

I enjoy the Shark Platinum and Chrome ( in that order ) with the Platinums being blades I could use every day with no complaint, while the Chromes are serviceable without being special to me. I don't like Shark SS blades very much at all. I find them tuggy.

I also like the Lord Platinum class well enough. I find if I take my time they provide comfortable shaves. They are in my 'good but not great' category. I'm not 100% sure they are the same as the Shark Platinums but it could just be the Shark Plats I have are new, and the Lord Plats I still have in stock were purchased 8-9 years ago.

I tried to use the Orange labeled Asco Super Stainless onces but found them tuggy. I would not be surprised if they and the Shark SS are the same, but that is just supposition on my part.

I have used the odd Lord Racer over the years and remember getting perfectly good shaves from them without being stupendously impressed with them. Probably another for my 'good but not great' category.

Oddly I don't find silver star that sharp, but fairly smooth. The closest blade I would compare it to is a bolzano. I found rainbows pretty sharp. Lord cools might be my favorite for sharpness and smoothness. For super cheap big bens were a nice average blade.

Nice review. I think I have all of these.....have used more the Shark SS max 2 uses.... ; Lord Plat OK'ish, now Shark Chrome I don't like. Crown, only used precut blades and did not like them (my blades were not sharp enough) or maybe the mix with that awful razor I used.....I will try in a Leaf, maybe...

BTW for people that like 1/2 blades, most if not all of these Egyptian blades are sold for cheap pre cut at @Mazon

Nice review. I think I have all of these.....have used more the Shark SS max 2 uses.... ; Lord Plat OK'ish, now Shark Chrome I don't like. Crown, only used precut blades and did not like them (my blades were not sharp enough) or maybe the mix with that awful razor I used.....I will try in a Leaf, maybe...

BTW for people that like 1/2 blades, most if not all of these Egyptian blades are sold for cheap pre cut at @Mazon
Let me guess, Razor Rock Eco?

I've tried the uncut Crowns and the half blade ones, and the full blade ones were better. I'm going to try a broken Dorco Prime 8n the Eco soon and see how that works.

I have tried all but 3 or 4 of Lord's blade line. I won't say they're all the same but most of them did seem rather similar. I was rather disappointed with the orange Asco and Silver Stars since so many rank them very high. I think it's cool that Lord Shaving has kept alive such names as "Big Ben", "Asco", "Silver Star", "Shark", etc. These used to be independent brands manufactured in the USA and UK (long ago). I enjoy collecting the packages.

I started with the Shark SS but switched to the SC as my go to blade and then was suggested to try the Silver Star which has become my #2 making the SS my #3... That being said I put a SS in my Ti95DC yesterday morning on 3 days growth and am still impressed with how easily 3 days worth almost disappears on the 1st pass OC side WTG leaving pass #2 SB side ATG with very little to remove and am sitting her this morning and still don't even have a 5 O'Clock shadow happening yet!! It was probably one of the easiest and longest lasting 2 pass and done shaves I've done considering I usually only shave every other day because there's really nothing to remove with any of the blades I use on the regular...

Top Bottom