What's new

Tour de France

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm not really into cycle racing, but I've always enjoyed following the Tour de France. Especially this year after the long delay, the lockdowns, etc. The helicopter shots are outstanding, and Phil Liggett is a tremendous broadcaster. He could make the play by play of a checker game interesting. But there's always drama in the TdF. Grueling endurance. They just spent 2 days in the Pyrenees. Personally I like this new Slovenian kid, Primoz Roglic. He was a World Junior champ in ski jumping but as he got older he realized he would never quite get to World Cup globes or Olympic gold so he switched sports to cycle racing and he's exploded on the scene this past week. Of course, there's a long way yet to go....

Anyone else interested?

I record it every day and then scan through it to see the race highlights and the scenery.

IMO, there's nothing more exciting to watch in all of sports than a good sprint finish.

Owen Bawn

I record it every day and then scan through it to see the race highlights and the scenery.

IMO, there's nothing more exciting to watch in all of sports than a good sprint finish.
Had to feel for that Swiss guy Hirschi yesterday in the Pyrenees. He led through the grueling mountains all day only to see an over 4 minute lead disappear in the last 15k. And the guys who chased him down and caught him didn't care a pin about winning the stage- getting the yellow jersey away from Adam Yates was their only concern, and Hirschi was in a sense collateral damage. Great drama at the finish.

Owen Bawn

Today was a ride along the beach on roads that were too narrow. Except for the sprint in the final 40 seconds the only excitement today was a series of stupid undramatic crashes. Not the most entertaining stage thus far, and really anti-climatic after the high drama all weekend in the Pyrenees. The one bright spot from where I sit is that an Irishman will wear the green jersey tomorrow- Sam Bennett. The first Irish lad to wear that jersey since either Roche or Kelly wore it- I can't remember. In either case it was 20+ years ago.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
That final sprint; the way they set it up and executed it was a sight to see. I enjoyed it.

I watch it most days, but with the time zones, the finish is nearly midnight here and occasionally I am slightly overly refreshed so I have no recollection of said finish...

One of these years, I shall take 3 weeks off, rent a camper van and follow it properly!

martym

I watched a recording just now. Today’s was impressive by Hirschi and yesterday’s finish was exciting. I didn’t like the shove and I learned today that the officials didn’t either.

martym

What a race by Danny Martinez this morning! I was on the edge of my seat those last 3 miles.
Wow!!

Owen Bawn

What a race by Danny Martinez this morning! I was on the edge of my seat those last 3 miles.
Wow!!
YOU'RE A SPOILER!!!

Just kidding. I guess I need to stay away from this thread till I've watched the stage each day.

For once, I would like to see a TdF where the ride into Paris actually mattered. Lately the last day has always been a parade. It's kind of a let-down after some great "racing".

For once, I would like to see a TdF where the ride into Paris actually mattered. Lately the last day has always been a parade. It's kind of a let-down after some great "racing".
It looks like it’ll get to the third week before things are decided this Tour. It’s pretty boring when a GC rider gets out front early and his team is able to cover the other contenders or extend the lead the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Finishing today’s stage now...

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Well, its kind of like if every football game ended with one team up by three touchdowns and just running out the clock. But its also like the victory lap, just during the race. Part of the tradition. But there is an actual race going on for the stage win, which is still a big deal for the sprinters, even though the yellow jersey is already decided.

I think one of the more interesting aspects of the Tour is all the races within the race. Winning just one stage is a major accomplishment. For the sprinters, winning the green jersey is a like a pitcher winning the Cy Young. The white jersey is like Rookie of the Year. And, frankly, the winning the yellow jersey is really more of a team effort than an individual achievement.

martym

It reminds me of hockey. I have never played hockey and did not grow up watching it. I have never studied the rules.
I am about the same with cycling.
That being said: I love hockey and watching how the guys away from the puck are working to set up a shot on goal. The cyclists are doing the same for their team and it is something to watch it come together or not come together.
Today’s stage was something. I was cheering for that kid cuz the other team (Bora?) had played it perfectly. They just didn’t factor in that kid’s heart!

Top Bottom