What's new

Tour de France

And the motos (plus fans) caused even greater chaos on the climb today.
Yeah, that was a real s**tshow there!

I think Vingegaard left too much time to pull back the leader for the win, but that surely didn't help. I didn't see it, but heard the commentator say that Pello Bilbao took a swing at a spectator. It's only a matter of time until something happens that seriously changes the outcome of a stage.

I firmly believe that Armstrong soured many, many followers with his secret shenanigans.
You're right about that, Doug! And, his bullying of those that spoke out against him. He might have been forgiven if not for the way he treated some of the people that were so close to him at one time.

his faithful team
It was amazing how Kelderman and Benoot were just hangin out at the back of the break all day and then as things started breaking down on the last climb they ended up being perfect targets for Vingegaard to shoot for and then they gave him a bit of a pull. You're right, they've been a great team. Wout may be just a tad less strong compared to last year where he also got the wins, but he has still been a monster! I sure hope he's clean...if you know what I mean. Us fans of cycling can't assume anymore.

Has anyone been following the Tour de France Femmes?

I've caught the last 1-2 hours of the last three stages. All three of these stages were super exciting wins from the breakaway!

If you can, I'd highly recommend watching tomorrow's Stage 7. It's the only big mountain day and should decide the GC...and if not then there is a 22km TT on Sunday. Tomorrow's stage is relatively short, 89km, but hits some pretty famous climbs...the Col d'Aspin and then a summit finish on the Tourmalet (2100m).

With the TdF and TdFF in the rear view mirror, I'm super excited about tomorrow's Mens Elite World Championship Road Race in Scotland. I'm going to try to get up at 0400 (East Coast US) to watch it from flag to finish. It's always a unique dynamic when the best cyclist in the world that usually compete against each other on club teams that pay their salary...and then one day a year they compete under their nation's flag and competitors become teammates. And with no radios. So much drama, just like watching a cycling soap opera. The 270+km course looks interesting, ending in a criterium style city loop in Glasgow with all the sharp corners, road furniture and short explosive climbs that we can ask for. Should be fun!

I googled for the race result but only found about the race stoppage. Now looking for the replay!!
It was an incredible watch, except for the ~50 minutes of them standing around on the road while they cleared out the protesters. A spectacularly grueling race that just wore down riders one at a time popping them off the back. Not sure if you know what happened to MVdP with a little over a lap to go, but I won't spoil it for you. I love watching the Monuments (including Strade Branch) and the Worlds. They are nearly super human efforts and the three riders at the end on the podium deserve so much respect!

My second search spoiled that… what a beast!
Yes he is! I've been following Cyclocross for the last three or so years and I love how the CX racers have infiltrated the peloton and are almost redefining a more powerful, aggressive style of racing. Both men and women racers. WvA was a beast in last years TdF. Lately, MVdP has been getting the better of WvA, which only makes the rivalry more exciting. And throw in a smidge of Pidcock...perfection!

Top Bottom