What's new

Tough Beard hard to to shave

Hello there. I am new to B&B. I have always been using an automatic razor since 17. I just recetly switched to hand shaving and since cannot forget the enjoyable feeling when the razor blade glide through my beard.

There is a problem I cannot tackle: It seems like my beard is very tough to cut clean. I listened to the general advice to shave after hot shower. I even purposely let water go around my neck for around 5 minute before shaving. When I shave with the grain, a good amount of beard remains; when I shave against the grain, I feel strong resistence from the beard and I am afraid if I exert more force I might cut myself.

I certainly have tough beard. The barbers say I have some of the toughest hair they have seen in their career.

I use the Merkur 34C safety razor with shaving gel. I don't use pre-shave oil (should I try?) What are some suggestions regarding this issue?

Thanks in advance.

What blades do you use? For me the blades make a noticeable difference. Try adjusting the angle you use. Maybe ride the cap on the razor and see if it helps.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

What blades do you use? For me the blades make a noticeable difference. Try adjusting the angle you use. Maybe ride the cap on the razor and see if it helps.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
I used whatever blade Merkur provided me when I got the 34C. I just bought another extra 50. I heard they have one of the sharpest blade tho. What other blade options are there?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Some blades that have notoriety for being very sharp are Feathers or Kai. I would look at getting a blade sampler pack and seeing what works best for your type of whiskers. Many shaving shops sell them or some sites even sell them individually.

Welcome to the forum. Some blades that have notoriety for being very sharp are Feathers or Kai. I would look at getting a blade sampler pack and seeing what works best for your type of whiskers. Many shaving shops sell them or some sites even sell them individually.
Thanks for the advice!

When I shave with the grain, a good amount of beard remains; when I shave against the grain, I feel strong resistence from the beard and I am afraid if I exert more force I might cut myself.

The passes are for beard reduction. You might try two passes with the grain, one across the grain and ATG last to clean up. And try the blade recommendations.

Welcome to B&B.
Hello there. I am new to B&B. I have always been using an automatic razor since 17. I just recetly switched to hand shaving and since cannot forget the enjoyable feeling when the razor blade glide through my beard.

There is a problem I cannot tackle: It seems like my beard is very tough to cut clean. I listened to the general advice to shave after hot shower. I even purposely let water go around my neck for around 5 minute before shaving. When I shave with the grain, a good amount of beard remains; when I shave against the grain, I feel strong resistence from the beard and I am afraid if I exert more force I might cut myself.
I don't understand the term automatic razor but assume you meant electric shaver. The DE razor requires a different technique and stubble conditioning.
With the DE you have to do a number of passes and achieve gradual stubble reduction with each pass. A single pass will not achieve the close shave you desire. Map your grain and try a 3 pass shave; with the grain (WTG), across the grain (XTG) and finish with against the grain (ATG). The Shave Wiki is very useful; Interactive Guide to DE Razor Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Interactive_Guide_to_DE_Razor_Shaving
I would also you try a sample of blades to find the best blades for your situation.

Welcome aboard!

The 34C is an excellent razor in the mild/moderate range. With such razors I get best results using sharp blades (as opposed to the Merkur blades that come with the razor). You might try a blade sampler pack or two, or move to some of the sharper blades (for example GSB, Nacet, Feather, etc.)

The other key point in that shaving with a DE is a skill that takes awhile to master. With experience your shaves will improve dramatically.

I certainly have tough beard. The barbers say I have some of the toughest hair they have seen in their career.

I use the Merkur 34C safety razor with shaving gel. I don't use pre-shave oil (should I try?) What are some suggestions regarding this issue?

Thanks in advance.

If you have a really tough beard, use an injector razor. They are milder, easier to use, and generally more efficient. I can get decent results in one pass with an injector, because they cut at a shallower angle and the blade doesn't flex.

The only issue is that the blades cost a bit more and may not be as widely available.

Dude! I’ve been having this same issue. It’s like I’m unable to make any progress on my neck WTG. Similar to you, very meticulous with the prep. Better results XTG. ATG only results in tugging and irritation. Blade buffing irritates too.

My whole world changed this morning. I tried the Gillette Platinum blades from my sample pack. Still some seemingly untouched spots on my neck but improvement. XTG was effortless! Then ATG was so smooth. No tugging, no resistance, no irritation. Short strokes helped hit all the spots and forcing me to slow down. I was able to increase my adjustable razor setting up to a 7 for the first time!

As mentioned in previous posts, get a sample pack more focused on medium to very sharp. I avoid Derby and Shark as the comfort does not outweigh the lack of efficiency IMO. Happy hunting.

Blades make a big difference, what you find great others may find terrible. With a tough beard I would look towards the sharper end of the blade spectrum. But be sure to test some of the popular medium blades to. Pre shaves can help soften the beard, I personally find they just make a shave more comfortable. You could also use a hair conditioner on your stubble and leave it on for a while.

As your technique improves so will your shaves. Don't use pressure, let the razor do the work. If you need another pass or have missed a bit lather up and have another pass. I would also not recommend chasing BBS just yet. If it looks good it will do.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you are not having much luck with DE blades you will have to more than likely use a SE blade. Personna makes blades for Gems , Schicks and AC P30(Schick proline) systems of shaving at reasonable prices with the Teflon coatings. The Se blades might hold up better to tough beards?
From my understanding you have pursued different ways of softening your beard, Hydrating the beard will help regardless when it comes to the blade cutting whiskers.
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Technique will take you a long way. Look up beard mapping here, it made a huge difference to me. After 6-7 years of DE shaving I finally broke down and got a pre-shave oil (Village Barber). I have a great razor, trusty blades, and my technique is down to where I can almost shave with my eyes closed. That said, the oil was a game changer for me. I'd nail the technique first, then add product if / as needed. As always though YMMV.

The 34C is a mild razor so you will need a sharp blade in it for sure. Sharp blades include feathers, Kai, Nacet give those a try with that razor.

Also i noticed you said you use 'shaving gel'. I assume this is the crap out of the can? if so this is one thing you will need to change that will automatically improve your shaving experience. Having a nice slick protective lather on your face will make the world of difference.

If you are new to lathering i would suggest a nice synthetic brush and a nice soap and learning to lather. If you want any suggestions on brush and soap feel free to ask.

I have thick and lots of coarse black hair. Before DE shaving i would use canned crap and disposable razors and could only shave once a week due to bad razor burn, now i shave daily and achieve BBS.

i started with a DE89 which is comparable to a 34C, way to mild for my face so i upgraded to more efficient razors. I can still shave with the DE89 + feather but the results are not as good.

Keep at it, the more experience you get the better your shaves will be. Good luck!!

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to B&B. You're in the right place. It sounds like you are only going With The Grain and then Against The Grain but no Across The Grain pass. In my experience, it's all about GRADUAL hair removal. So, WTG first, which does leave a fair amount of hair. Then go XTG (Across the Grain). That will remove some more hair but still leave a bit of stubble. Then try the ATG pass. And if you still find some stubble remains you might need to do some touch up. I highly recommend that you take some time to "map your beard". That means you should determine which direction the hair is growing on different sections of your face. You may be surprised to find that the hair is not growing in the direction you thought it was growing. The best thing I ever did to improve my shaves was to map my beard. Good luck to you.

Top Bottom