What's new

Touch ups between passes?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on touch ups between passes? As I get to know my beard map and change the angle of my shave to be actually ATG and XTG (my neck hair grows in a South East direction apart from the very sides of my neck that grow upwards) I am noticing that I am missing some patches of hair.

I appreciate that this should improve over time as I better my angle and technique but should I be performing touch ups between passes(ie. apply some more cream and re-shaving these patches) or just ignore it and carry out the full follow up passes?

For info, I am currently shaving with three passes ATG, ATG and XTG.

Thanks in advance,
Abz88

You can do touch ups while you are learning, no problem... just use cream.

Always shave the cream... never the whiskers!

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on touch ups between passes? As I get to know my beard map and change the angle of my shave to be actually ATG and XTG (my neck hair grows in a South East direction apart from the very sides of my neck that grow upwards) I am noticing that I am missing some patches of hair.
Missing patches suggests a problem with blade angle. There should be a gradual reduction of stubble on every pass with a different 3 pass regime for the neck if needed. Touch ups I leave to the end for those tricky areas.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hi everyone,

I appreciate that this should improve over time as I better my angle and technique but should I be performing touch ups between passes(ie. apply some more cream and re-shaving these patches) or just ignore it and carry out the full follow up passes?

For info, I am currently shaving with three passes ATG, ATG and XTG.

Thanks in advance,
Abz88
My second pass is my touch up.

Missing patches suggests a problem with blade angle. There should be a gradual reduction of stubble on every pass with a different 3 pass regime for the neck if needed. Touch ups I leave to the end for those tricky areas.

Yes, trying to work more closely to my beard map it is definitely a case of getting the angle right (I've found it's not as easy when trying to shave in a SE direction as opposed to straight down). The concern I have as that when I come to the final pass (current XTG) will a patch that hasn't been reduced as much as the rest of my face and neck on previous passes be more likely to get aggravated with the XTG pass?

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on touch ups between passes?...I am noticing that I am missing some patches of hair.
Your skills will improve as you practice, so you will find over time you will miss fewer spots.

In general, you want to minimize the number of times you go over the same area. Over-shaving can lead to irritation. So, I would suggest you do two full passes and a final touch-up pass and that's it. Make it your goal to have an irritation-free, close shave. You should be close enough and over time you will get closer. Chasing a BBS is not really necessary except for really special occasions.

Unlikely as aggravation or irritation are more related to technique. Also, have you tried different blades as these can improve your results. Astra SP are available at competitive prices from UK sellers.

Your skills will improve as you practice, so you will find over time you will miss fewer spots.

In general, you want to minimize the number of times you go over the same area. Over-shaving can lead to irritation. So, I would suggest you do two full passes and a final touch-up pass and that's it. Make it your goal to have an irritation-free, close shave. You should be close enough and over time you will get closer. Chasing a BBS is not really necessary except for really special occasions.

Thanks for the advice. I am managing 3 passes without irritation (have not attempted ATG and not plans to do so in the near future), just seem to keep missing patches on each pass. Will keep touch ups until the end and focus on technique

Unlikely as aggravation or irritation are more related to technique. Also, have you tried different blades as these can improve your results. Astra SP are available at competitive prices from UK sellers.

Thanks, the consensus seems to be to hold off on touch ups until the end of my shave. Currently working through a pack of Wilkinson Classics until I get my technique a bit more honed and then planning on buying some sample packs from Connaught.

First, congratulations on mapping your beard and understanding what is going on!

Touch ups between passes is just fine if that works for you! I prefer to do this after I finish. :clap: :clap:

Top Bottom