What's new

Touch up? More like "Touch Down.

What if a razor touch up results in the razor losing its keenness and pulling a little bit, do I touch it up more on the hone or dull it and take it through a full honing progression?

It depends...sometimes a few laps with water on a fine stone (Thuringian, Belgian, synth 10/12k) and youll be fine....sometimes working with slurry on the natural stones is needed...

In some cases it makes sense to do the full progression again. There are guys around only doing full progressions when the razor dulls

I haven't "lost an edge" in a very long time, but it used to happen regularly to me. With the JNAT, I'd go back a couple of steps in the progression. On a coti, I'd just start all over again, but that was also because I never really mastered those.

I have several stones that when used for touch ups one has to be careful or the edge will go backwards. Now, I get all I need from simply touching up on one the trans arkies I have. There's simply no way to go too far with a real finishing arkie and with judicious pressure, I have a little bit more range on the amount of improvement I can give an edge.

In your case, it would help to know what you're using.

Not enough info....

How was the edge finished?
Why were you trying to touch it up?
What stone are you using to touch up the edge?

On what stone you make the touch up . Hwo hone the razor at the begining .
It sound to me ,that it can be honed with a tape and now ,you touch up without ,so you are doing nothing . The very edge dont make a good contact . The other option is , that you dont touch up right .
As you do it try it on hairs / arm or other hairs / how it behaves . when you reach maximal sharpness on the stone, with watter and no presure , make a soap lather . put it on the stone and continue honing till you reach maximal sharpness .
At this point make few backstrokes / stroping on the stone / as lightly you can do it posible .
This aways works with me . Watch out for your stroping technique . It is posible to make the touch up and dull it slightly again , when stroping .
Or just get a pasted strop and join the clan .
If the razor is puling too much , go back on the 8 k levell again and after to finisher .
I woud tape it with 1 layer and make a litle slurry dilution on my finisher / misty slurry to plain water to lather /.
Once you get the way , you will knok your self in searching of more perfect edge .

If you canot make the touch up , dont go to the 1 k levell again , as you will fall in big adventure

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'm no coti expert either so I'm out too, but good luck and you will have a lot of good info coming in from experts.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom