What's new

Totally new to honing/stropping but I noticed something curious.

Microscopes are quite good at inspecting the bevel scratch pattern and looking for bad problems with the bevel. They will tell you little about the actual edge join itself though, until you get a very powerful scope indeed (like, an electron microscope or a very, very good binocular subjective scope.) The actual edge join is also very hard to image well due to depth of field and USB scopes are all but useless for it, with some exceptions I am sure but as a rule, it's going to be extremely hard at a minimum.

Getting much closer: Started over but this time took the blade out of the stropping/honing handle. Makes sense that the extra metal around the spine raises the blade and shortens bevel width. Opposite of what we seek? Should I dump the strop handle for honing?

I used black tape to make handles. 600/2k/3k/8k water stones and the strop. The bevel got much wider. The result was an almost smooth shave although I couldn't get comfortable around the chin area. Straight strokes were pretty darn good for a change.

Today I took a pic of the edge to show my great success. FAIL! I am surprised I didn't walk away bloody. The edge looks terrible. I don't understand how it actually felt ok.

I need an easy to remember general guideline for number of laps at each step since I surely didn't spend enough time on the 2k. Using a scope next time to inspect between steps. I also noticed the effect on the edge after putting it back into the handle for stropping. A bevel on the bevel (second pic). That can't be a good thing?

The Force is not yet with me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom