What's new

Total noob and a bit nervous.

I have a couple GD that are getting honed and a strop on the way. In the past, I have generally not done well with shavettes. What should I be wary of and how should I approach this style of shaving?

Everyone is nervous at first, you should be a little cautious when first using a straight!
Watch a bunch of videos on Youtube.
It is a worthwhile skill to learn and as with all skills, it takes a little bit of practice.

I know nothing about using a shavette though, never tried one and probably never will.

Start by doing just your cheeks for a while until you develop a comfort level there then move on to your neck and other parts of your face. If you haven't done so already watch some how to videos and try to learn a bit from those. You can pick up some good tips there like how to get a close shave under your nose.

The times I've cut myself have generally been from doing something stupid like attacking a trouble spot from a direction I had no business attacking it from. I could have predicted with certainty that I was going to cut myself but I stupidly did it anyway. Don't chase perfection as it'll take you around 100 shaves to get decent at it. In the mean time you can always follow your straight razor shave with a de razor.

Just take your time and relax while you're shaving. You'll do fine.

Start by doing just your cheeks for a while until you develop a comfort level there then move on to your neck and other parts of your face. If you haven't done so already watch some how to videos and try to learn a bit from those. You can pick up some good tips there like how to get a close shave under your nose.

The times I've cut myself have generally been from doing something stupid like attacking a trouble spot from a direction I had no business attacking it from. I could have predicted with certainty that I was going to cut myself but I stupidly did it anyway. Don't chase perfection as it'll take you around 100 shaves to get decent at it. In the mean time you can always follow your straight razor shave with a de razor.

Just take your time and relax while you're shaving. You'll do fine.
This.

Especially the advice of just doing the cheeks only for the first little while.

I might even go further and suggest that you do a first pass with your DE (or prior razor of choice) and then do a second WTG pass, cheeks only, with the straight. Use the right hand for the right side and the left hand for the left side. It will feel awkward, but do it.

I would go a full 7 shaves using the straight razor only for a second pass WTG only on the cheeks.

For the next 7 shaves, you could try one of two things: Do a first-pass WTG on the cheeks only, OR, start working on the flatter parts of your neck for a second WTG pass.

And so on and so forth. The key is to get the feel without pushing the issue. Learning to shave with a straight razor is not a sprint.

Finally, if, at ANY TIME when you are using a straight razor and just learning, you feel like something isn't quite right or is not going to work or is dangerous or frustrating in any way, put the razor down and finish the shave with your other razor of choice.

Here is an alternative approach. This is for those for are either brave, confident, impatient, or stupid. I am probably all four. :)

I started doing full, three pass shaves right from day one, cleaning up what was left behind with a DE. It took me four days to lose all fear of the razor, and sixteen shaves to nail it. That way when I learned to stretch more.

Forget about shavettes until LOOOOONG after you master the traditional straight, as the shavette is a much steeper learning curve. This is because they are around an order of magnitude more sharp and much less forgiving.

Just take it easy and don't get careless, easy does it. Also accept that you'll most likely will cut yourself (most cuts aren't that bad) as well as your first strop. Your skin will heal and the strop hopefully was a cheap beginners strop or a rolled up newspaper. Within a few months you will have found out how a truly relaxing experience shaving can be.
Welcome to a new and fantastic addiction.

The straights will be easier than the shavettes.

Try to forget everything about cartridge shaving. Don't try to get an area smooth by pushing and pushing harder, and trying and trying over and over. That's cartridge shaving.

Instead, go light and slow. You'll get a close shave by learning how to get the razor sharp, and about getting your angles right.

Start by doing just your cheeks for a while until you develop a comfort level there then move on to your neck and other parts of your face.

This was my approach and it worked well for me. Add other areas when you are comfortable. There's no set timeframe or number of shaves. Just add more area when you feel ready to give it a go.

Also accept that you'll most likely will cut yourself

Yes, you will most likely cut yourself either through lack of focus or pushing boundaries. It takes practice and, after all, razors are sharp. But if you go slow and stay focused, the cuts won't be bad and will heal quickly.

Learning straights has been extremely satisfying for me. Well worth the fear and (small amount of) blood. Stick with it and it will pay off.

Best of luck and always feel free to post your questions. Everyone here is happy to help and pass along whatever information they may possess.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have a couple GD that are getting honed and a strop on the way. In the past, I have generally not done well with shavettes. What should I be wary of and how should I approach this style of shaving?
I'm not sure what type of shavette you have used in the past. I have used a Feather Artist Club SS Pro, with Proguard blades to help me transition from DE shaving to Straights, as I am a newbie also. The first shave that I had with it was a WOW WOW WOW, unbelievably close shave, truly the closest shave of my life at the time.

I also have shaved with a GD, but prefer a smaller blade like my 5/8 Geneva's. The GD's are 6/8.
IME you will have to spend more than $20.00 to get a truly ~shave ready~ GD Razor from a trusted seller.

For example, I ordered a GD New Arrival Shaving Ready Cut Throat Straight Razor from Ningbo Gold Dollar Razors for $19.95 that actually came ~shave ready~ only needing a strop to pass a HHT, and a GD 1996 for $9.95 that wasn't advertised as shave ready, and actually cracked and had to be sent back.

I ordered 2 Zertone's (GD Clones)that both cracked and had to be sent back.

I also ordered a GD 66 and a GD 208 from FGP for $18 and $16, one was advertised as ~shave ready~ and the other was not. Neither one arrived ~shave ready~.
I hear a lot of people here say that you have to buy 4 GD razors to get 1 good one, and I am not gonna argue with that. 50/50 for me, with 1 of 3 actually ~shave ready~.

From now on, I will just get vintage straights on ebay for $20-$30 and hone them myself.
I have the stones and lapping film to get them ~shave ready~, but those stones are expensive and take up a lot of space, unless you want to learn to hone for a hobby. Then just raise your hand and join the club!!!

prof

Lots of good info given. I will add a little about the angle. Dont think about 30 degrees as you would with a DE. Put about 1 spine width of space between the spine of the razor and your skin! That is a good starting point. From there you will learn whag works better for you.
Go slow. Dont rush it. It take time to learn and get a great shave from a straight. Also try to use a little more water in your soap. Slickness is a great thing, but too much water and the lather breaks down and the slick goes away.

Here is an alternative approach. This is for those for are either brave, confident, impatient, or stupid. I am probably all four. :)

I started doing full, three pass shaves right from day one, cleaning up what was left behind with a DE. It took me four days to lose all fear of the razor, and sixteen shaves to nail it. That way when I learned to stretch more.

Forget about shavettes until LOOOOONG after you master the traditional straight, as the shavette is a much steeper learning curve. This is because they are around an order of magnitude more sharp and much less forgiving.

Totally my experience and feelings, right on!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

As others have said, go slow. My biggest tio for beginners is just try and remove lather from your face. Then you can work on pressure. As @HazMat Shaver said about angle. Follow that. And a lather that isnt slick has done more damage to me than anything else.

As others have said, go slow. My biggest tio for beginners is just try and remove lather from your face. Then you can work on pressure. As @HazMat Shaver said about angle. Follow that. And a lather that isnt slick has done more damage to me than anything else.
I've heard "shave the lather" a lot, and I like it, but works even better for me is the phrase "squeegee the lather." This works perfectly for straights and for shavettes.

Top Bottom