What's new

Total Newb....pondering the switch from electric to DE

I am a firm believer that most men's shaving needs can be met with a Super Speed or Tech...which is what Gillette obviously figured out early on too. I got a great shave Thursday night with a late year English Tech. Aluminum handle, sheet steel base, and nickel-plated zamak top cap. Blade was a Gillette Patinum Plus.

As you are new to DE, a Fatip might work. I have a Piccolo, but I don't like it as I have to cut at a steeper angle than my other DEs.

Can't go wrong with a Game Changer, made in Canada, .84 though. I love mine. But I'm not about to switch to the metric system or make Molson my regular brew over it. Or drive around wth Ann Margaret on random on my sound system.

The only thing you can do wrong is to keep using an electric.

I am a firm believer that most men's shaving needs can be met with a Super Speed or Tech...which is what Gillette obviously figured out early on too. I got a great shave Thursday night with a late year English Tech. Aluminum handle, sheet steel base, and nickel-plated zamak top cap. Blade was a Gillette Patinum Plus.

As you are new to DE, a Fatip might work. I have a Piccolo, but I don't like it as I have to cut at a steeper angle than my other DEs.

Can't go wrong with a Game Changer, made in Canada, .84 though. I love mine. But I'm not about to switch to the metric system or make Molson my regular brew over it. Or drive around wth Ann Margaret on random on my sound system.

Damn, I meant Anne Murray, not Ann Margaret. Forgive my ignorance of things Canadian. Let me just say that I'm glad it's you guys up there. America could do far worse for next door neighbors. You might not think that yourself on occassion. Sorry about that bit of arson in Toronto in 1813...

Amen. Everything else you wrote is right on target too, except for confusing Ann-Margret, who is originally from Sweden, with Anne Murray. But hey, close enough. That's nothing compared to the mistakes I've made when it comes to Hollywood and music trivia. You think you have it down and forget how many decades have passed since you even thought about a lot of those stars and movies and albums. I'm very pro-Canada too, though musically, I'll put Neil Young ahead of Anne Murray, if you don't mind. Great razors, beautiful scenery, and even a good national anthem. The only thing I don't get is poutine.

Welcome, making a smart choice. Razorock is a great place to start for both a razor and a brush. Synthetic brushes are easy to use and very affordable. I would recommend one of their Stainless Steel razors which are all priced right and you can pick up some Proraso soap and After Shave for a good price, IMHO a great soap to start with. I believe the key is to start with one razor, or one baseplate if you get a Rockwel, and use it for about 2 months and really work on your technique and prep. There are some great videos on YouTube to show you how to lather. I agree with the guys above, technique trumps any razor and by using the same razor for a couple of months you will develop a technique that works for you. Then you can go down the rabbit hole for more razors, brushes and soaps. Ask questions as you move along there is a ton of experienced shavers on this thread.

If I could go back in time and tell myself this before I got into wet shaving...

Buy a Charcoal Goods Level 1 and 2 in Solid bar
Buy a Badger 2 band from Shavemac or Elite Razor
Buy Tallow and Steel shave Soap and Aftershave

I’d save myself a ton of money...

I would say continue to read reviews here on the forum and retailers websites, and purchase a popular razor, making your best educated guess. Whatever you buy, if it doesn't work for you, you can resell it here on the forum with minimal loss.

My personal two cents: my favorite razor, mentioned several times already, is the Rockwell 6S...but the 6C (plated zinc alloy) might be a better starter razor -- same design as the 6S, but lighter and half the retail price (you can always upgrade to the 6S, which will last a lifetime).

Just a few other thoughts...be prepared for character shaping. Echoing what Shavemd mentioned above, the learning curve will require patience: technique (give yourself at least a few weeks to get comfortable with the razor on your face); experiment with a blade sampler (some you'll love, some you'll hate), and good lather is crucial (get a quality soap, and check out the lathering tutorials on YouTube).

Finally, get a styptic pencil (safety razor cuts are inevitable at first, but will soon become rare...and they aren't as bad as they look), and hang in there -- I think you'll find it's worth it.

An overwhelming amount of info presented already on what to start with. Nevertheless, I'll add my 2¢ worth:
Go cheap to start with & learn the basics. Develop your technique. You will still be able to get an exceptional shave. Remember, the blade does the work. The razor often takes undue credit. There's plenty of time to look around at something more spendy later. A cheap 3 piece design razor will give you the same quality shave as an expensive one - remember, it's the blade.

While I'm happy with my Kronas, Super Speeds, Slims and even some Schick Injectors, I wanted something that wouldn't break the bank if lost in travel luggage.

The cheapest you can get is on E-bay from China for around $1.85. Identical to it is a Baili razor, which essentially has a metal handle. Either will shave every bit as well as a Merkur or better. These are both 3 piece design, not the butterfly style.

Get some blades from Amazon - Astra, Shark or even Voskhod, and a can of Barbasol. You can get brushes & spendy soaps later.

After a couple of shaving sessions, you'll be able to impress your girlfriend with your smooth shave. You don't have to tell her you used a cheap razor ...

My main suggestions are:
#1. Read through the Wiki, and
#2. Watch a few videos.

The key is to focus on your technique!

In answer to your question, either the 34C or the EJ89 would be a good choice IMO.

If I had it to do over again, I would start with a Tech.

I think you should start with a Tech, as well. They are inexpensive, plentiful, indestructible, mild, intuitive, and easily maneuverable. It's a no brainier, from my perspective.

B

Barney14

If I had it to do over again, I would start with a Tech.

I think you should start with a Tech, as well. They are inexpensive, plentiful, indestructible, mild, intuitive, and easily maneuverable. It's a no brainier, from my perspective.

I totally agree a Tech is the best starting point.

Merkur 34c, with either Wilkinson Classic blades or Red personnas. Proraso blue for sensitive skin. A basic badger brush. For aftershave Nivea for sensitive skin.
BUT, technique is the number one factor. Study some of the videos, take the time to be comfortable, and accept that everyone has a learning curve, usually about ten shaves. I started with DE Gillette shaving in 1965, then went electric for too many years. Back to DE wet shaves now 5+ years, best thing for my face. Good luck.

While I never liked an electric, as I had tried them a few times. I was a major user of Gillette cartridge systems and thought those were the best thing ever, and would purchase the latest multi-blade system.

My first jump to DE was with an all aluminum Standard Razor in black. They had disappeared for a bit, but are back with a few tweaks to make it better. I have used a fair number of razors and keep coming back to the Standard. For me it just works and over the last couple of years my technique has improved where I don't have a problem with nicks anymore.

But whatever you get, you will learn and master in no time and will love it I am sure.

I started off with a 1954 Gillette Tech, I am yet to find a razor I like better. I know you want to go all in because you want to only buy one razor, but don't let that convince you to over buy before you know you are going to stick with it. My advice is a Tech, they are cheap, indestructible, and can easily achieve a closer shave with less irritation than a Braun! Shaving with an electric is no fun, the right razor, soap and aftershave can turn a chore into something you look forward to.
Also I highly recommend a good synthetic brush. I recently got the RazoRock synthetic barber handle brush and I love it, lathers great, and oh so soft! Its not just about the razor, the blade and brush can make a lot of difference too so experiment.

I started off with a 1954 Gillette Tech, I am yet to find a razor I like better. I know you want to go all in because you want to only buy one razor, but don't let that convince you to over buy before you know you are going to stick with it. My advice is a Tech, they are cheap, indestructible, and can easily achieve a closer shave with less irritation than a Braun! Shaving with an electric is no fun, the right razor, soap and aftershave can turn a chore into something you look forward to.
Also I highly recommend a good synthetic brush. I recently got the RazoRock synthetic barber handle brush and I love it, lathers great, and oh so soft! Its not just about the razor, the blade and brush can make a lot of difference too so experiment.

Words of wisdom, Lloyd, words...of...wisdom.

Damn, I meant Anne Murray, not Ann Margaret. Forgive my ignorance of things Canadian. Let me just say that I'm glad it's you guys up there. America could do far worse for next door neighbors. You might not think that yourself on occassion. Sorry about that bit of arson in Toronto in 1813...

As long as you also overlook a bit of the same..like that one time in August 24, 1814, after defeating the Americans at the Battle of Bladensburg we burned down multiple buildings, including the White House (then called the Presidential Mansion), the Capital building, as well as other facilities of the US government. You guys are great neighbors and we wish it to continue for many years to come.

Anyway....I sure do appreciate the feedback and suggestions give this far. I want to keep the suggestions level 5 or 4 intensity and lower being a newb with sensitive if possible ...and less than $100 if possible.

Razor aggressiveness is a YMMV type of a thing. Everyone is going to have an opinion based on what works for them, but one thing everyone here has in common is that none of us only have one razor, or learned what our favorite was by buying just one. I have been DE shaving for 5 years and still prefer a razor that others might call too mild. I feel my facial hair grows faster than my skin heals, and no matter how aggressive the razor is I'm still going to need two passes, so I might as well use a mild razor.

Alberta

I am looking at all the info here and am getting the impression that I need to get in and get my "face" wet in the game, get some technique before I plunk down larger coin for a real quality razor....and s2s post rings with me.

The inexpensive Baili BD176 with some Astra blades seem like a good toe dunking.
Thoughts?

Top Bottom