What's new

Total…freaking…Zen

Who else finds SR shaving to be incredibly meditative? I’ve been shaving with a straight for about 3 years and exclusively for 2. When I used cartridges shaving felt like a chore.
I switched to DE and it became enjoyable. Now with straights it is total Zen and keeps getting better. I try to explain this to ‘regular’ shavers and they just don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who else finds SR shaving to be incredibly meditative? I’ve been shaving with a straight for about 3 years and exclusively for 2. When I used cartridges shaving felt like a chore.
I switched to DE and it became enjoyable. Now with straights it is total Zen and keeps getting better. I try to explain this to ‘regular’ shavers and they just don’t get it.

It takes total concentration. If you’re not really paying attention, that cut will suddenly bring you back. That final result gives you a sense of accomplishment. I can easily get a BBS shave with a DE. It feels great, excellent shave accomplished, but it was easy. A
person needs a challenge. Easy isn’t rewarding. In all areas of life we need challenge. To our prayer, we can add fasting. To our work, we can devise ways to be more efficient. Challenge is good. Easy is for relaxing on a Sunday afternoon.

Shaving is meditative--the touch, the sound, the smell, the look in the mirror. I also find other things meditative: cycling, writing with a fountain pen, drinking good tea. As Dominic says, paying attention is the key.
I’m always amazed by the fact the we all seem to be drawn to the same types of hobbies. Straight razors, cycling, motor bikes, fountain pens and snowboarding all tap into this mystical sense of flow. Being totally in the moment with your fate resting firmly in your own hands. I love it. I actually think that I need it for my mental health. It’s so important.

Last edited:
I’m always amazed by the fact the we all seem to be drawn to the same types of hobbies. Straight razors, cycling, motor bikes, fountain pens and snowboarding all tap into this mystical sense of flow. Being totally in the moment with your fate resting firmly in your own hands. I love it. I actually think that I need it for my mental health. It’s so important.
It's funny, but besides shaving I'm not drawn into anything else that's edgy at all. I dislike speed. Now, as to flow, I often experienced that with my work and writings. Where one seems "outside of time" while engaged in a task. I suppose that's the Zen part of it, and indeed I enjoy that.

right there with you.

definate Zen and relaxation!!!!

camo

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Yup!
Exactly the same felling I have while sitting in the deer blind or being outside at the ranch in the early morning before anyone else is awake and drinking a cup of coffee and enjoying my me time.

If you mean sitting in a cold temple freezing your butt off while looking at the wall, your legs aching,
your shoulders in agony, your lower back seizing up, hoping/wishing/praying the roshi would ring
that bell so the whole ordeal will be over (unless its summer and you are doing the same while dripping
with sweat). My answer would be "no".... shaving does not feel like zen.

As someone who practices real Zen, I get what you mean. As someone who has used straights and DEs, I dont find either to be any different. Both require proper angle and pressure. No need for the straight razor snobbery.

I agree wholeheartedly.I never enjoyed shaving.It was a chore,and I was that guy who only shaved when i had to..
Then I tried DE razors.I enjoyed the feel of the razor..The sounds of the hair being shaved..
I started to think about straight razors as I’ve always been a “knife guy”.So for me the honing / shaving is really something I look forward to.I am always surprised at the quality of shave I get (now that I’ve put the time in)To be honest I enjoy all of it.The stropping,The honing,the aftershave..One of those wierd things I guess..Better felt than told kinda thing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As someone who practices real Zen, I get what you mean. As someone who has used straights and DEs, I dont find either to be any different. Both require proper angle and pressure. No need for the straight razor snobbery.
I don't think that it is snobbery, well not on my part. I think it is much more the passion that most SR shavers have for their hobby/obsession.

Top Bottom