What's new

Toss Up

Ok Guys help me out,

I am looking at 2 brushes, The SR 208 and the Vulfix 2234

Views opinions etc? on which one is the better?

Thanks

Jon

If I could suggest, give Charles at QED a call, 401.433.4045. See what he has to say. He has numerous other Savile Row handle and badger combinations available that may even be more to your liking. Phone call lasts a short time, the brush choice a whole lot longer.

Jon,

Based on my experience here, and what I have seen from SO many others, just go ahead and get them both! :w00t: It's probably something that will happen sooner or later!

Randy

Jon,
I was just looking at the Vulfix and the Savile Row stats.

The #2234 has a 22mm knot and is $59.99.
The SR208 has a 25mm knot and is $58.00.

Almost seems to be a no-brainer that the Savile Row is a better buy..

Hi Ron,

So what you are telling me is that knot size is the single most important determining factor when faced with 2 or more brushes in the same price range?

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Getting more bristle per dollar is certainly an important factor, if you are talking about the same grade of hair. The others are less tanglible, such as whether you like a bigger brush or not. Some people like as big a brush as possible, others lean the other way.

My opinion is that the Savile Row 208 is the best bargain available when it comes to shaving brushes. That's why I bought one.

Jon_M said:
Hi Ron,

So what you are telling me is that knot size is the single most important determining factor when faced with 2 or more brushes in the same price range?

Thanks,
Jon
No, but what I am saying is all other things relatively equal, a larger knot of super badger is better than a lesser knot of super badger. Austin's observation is also very important. Given the choice of Super Badger grade versus Super Badger grade, I would probably go with the super badger grade! :wink2:

Ron,

Wow did my last post sound snotty,,, Sorry about that :) :biggrin:

Thanks to you and everyone else for the advice

Jon

[edited version; second attempt]
Gentlemen,

Perhaps this is a no-brainer toss up? Which one to buy?

The Simpsons Major Best Travel (with vat) = 150.47 USD
Vulfix Superbadger Turnback = 59.99 USD

Now, Dr.P has described the Simpsons Major as a work of art, and I believe him, but it is also three times the price of a Vulfix Turnback. The Vulfix may not be a masterpiece like the Simpsons, but I suspect (based on my experience using both these brands) that the differences in functionality would be minimum? I do a lot of travelling so would like purchase a good qualtiy turnback (to replace my Vulfix superbadger travel brush in a tube). For those of you discerning lathermeisters, does the Major stand in a class of its own, and therefore well worth the extra expense?
Hal

(Thanks Ron! I've edited this post. Oooops! :blushing: Sorry to mix up this classic Simpsons with a Kent. :scared: Yikes!!!!)

Greetings All,
I am not quite sure how we got from #2234 and SR208's to turnbacks, but I have a couple of points for the would-be purchaser of a travel brush to contemplate.
First allow me to expose my bias. When I decided to buy a travel brush I thought long and hard on three issues (actually one) HIGH-$ versus low-$, turnback versus container'ed, Super versus Best versus Pure.
I decided that with my two or three times a year, one or two week trips it was not worth spending $100 or more on a brush that would otherwise sit on the shelf in a medicine cabinet in my palais grand du rasage. Then I began to examine the available alternatives.
First, our brother in lather, Joel most recently got a GREAT deal on a Truefitt & Hill turnback thru an Ashford's sale. He is in love with it and, for that price, should be.
He sagely points out that the turnback protects the ends of the badger hairs from getting crushed against the cap of a container. This is true, but perhaps requires that you think of the physics involved. First the T&H and others are Super Badger or Silver Tip. The tips of some of these more costly grades are more likely to get bent, curled, or otherwise disfigured, thereby potentially reducing the efficacy of the brush than the less costly, less luxurious Pure Badger hair.
Second, if you think of the accelerations necessary to crimp the ends of the hairs in a container "made to fit," you would be lucky to find your suitcase in the rubble of whatever ill-fated vehicle was carrying you and your container'ed brush, especially if it was tipped with the more resilient Pure Badger grade hair.
So I bought an inexpensive Ed. Jagger for Crabtree and Evelyn Pure Badger in a made to fit container. At about $35 I am at the point where I have prorated its use to a $1.00 a shave or less. I almost bought the T&H bargain recently, but the physics and economics above shattered my brush acquisition disorder and analysis prevailed over ego. Ah, I forgot one more very important variable in my analysis, smaller Pure Badger brushes dry more rapidly than bigger Super Badger brushes leaving your dopp kit to suffer the consequences and raising the possiblilty of mildew.
Hope this helps.

Greetings to All,

My apologies for placing this post in this thread. I didn't mean to highjack it. I had just meant to offer a "toss up" question in keeping with what I had mistakenly thought to be the theme of this thread. Regarding Ron's comments, am I being too sensitive here, or is there some reason for choosing to refer to me in the third person, as a "would-be purchaser of a travel brush," instead of by my name? :blush:

Regards,
"would-be purchaser of a travel brush"

halwilson said:
Greetings to All,

My apologies for placing this post in this thread. I didn't mean to highjack it. I had just meant to offer a "toss up" question in keeping with what I had mistakenly thought to be the theme of this thread. Regarding Ron's comments, am I being too sensitive here, or is there some reason for choosing to refer to me in the third person, as a "would-be purchaser of a travel brush," instead of by my name? :blush:

Regards,
"would-be purchaser of a travel brush"
Say Cheese Hal,
It is an overhead.. I could have just as easily typed anyone contemplating, or Hal and everyone else contemplating just as well. But as it seemed you are already tuned into a turnback, it is for the 150+ million others who might still be open to the LESS EXPENSIVE SUBSTITUTE.

guenron said:
Say Cheese Hal,
It is an overhead.. I could have just as easily typed anyone contemplating, or Hal and everyone else contemplating just as well. But as it seemed you are already tuned into a turnback, it is for the 150+ million others who might still be open to the LESS EXPENSIVE SUBSTITUTE.

Cheese Ron, :wink:

Just as you didn't know how we got " from #2234 and SR208's to turnbacks," I guess I didn't know how we got from my toss up question about the Simpsons Major and the Vulfix turnback to another question intended, as you say, "for the 150+ million others who might still be open to the LESS EXPENSIVE SUBSTITUTE". I didn't realize that you were not addressing my preceding post. I had been attending conferences all day and was very tired. Hence, my poor judgement about placing the above post in this thread and the misinformation I originally wrote, prompting you to send me a PM. Excuse me.

Returning to my post concerning a toss-up between the two turnbacks. As you may know, I do have a pretty decent quality Vulfix travel brush in the tube. It is only slightly less expensive than the Vulfix turnback. Unlike yourself, I travel for over a third of the year, mostly in Southeast Asia and the subcontinent. First, a badger brush when used in a very humid climate dries very slowly; furthermore, the enclosed instructions that come with the Vulfix warn you to be sure it is dry before putting it in the container, making it inconvenient to use, particularly during the monsoon. Joel's post about the T&H turnback, as well as his helpful replies to my questions made it clear that the turnback is the most convenient way to travel when packing a brush in the tropics. Secondly, the rugged construction of a turnback is very suitable for someone like myself who travels with a backpack. Finally, I also enjoy trekking in the Himalayas, so the Simpsons turnback has the added novelty of having been specifically "designed for the intrepid Himalayan explorer Major Victor Beeching.....[the]... open ended tube allowing the brush to breathe within a wetpack or washbag whilst travelling." In addition, brushmeister, Dr.P tells us it is a work of art. Since, I will be using it for over a third of each year, it is very tempting to splurge on the Simpsons Major. But I do know, from my experience using Vulfix brushes, that the Vulfix turnback would also make a fine travelling companion. Hence, the toss-up.

Hal

halwilson said:
Cheese Ron, :wink:

Just as you didn't know how we got " from #2234 and SR208's to turnbacks," I guess I didn't know how we got from my toss up question about the Simpsons Major and the Vulfix turnback to another question intended, as you say, "for the 150+ million others who might still be open to the LESS EXPENSIVE SUBSTITUTE". I didn't realize that you were not addressing my preceding post. I had been attending conferences all day and was very tired. Hence, my poor judgement about placing the above post in this thread and the misinformation I originally wrote, prompting you to send me a PM. Excuse me.

Returning to my post concerning a toss-up between the two turnbacks. As you may know, I do have a pretty decent quality Vulfix travel brush in the tube. It is only slightly less expensive than the Vulfix turnback. Unlike yourself, I travel for over a third of the year, mostly in Southeast Asia and the subcontinent. First, a badger brush when used in a very humid climate dries very slowly; furthermore, the enclosed instructions that come with the Vulfix warn you to be sure it is dry before putting it in the container, making it inconvenient to use, particularly during the monsoon. Joel's post about the T&H turnback, as well as his helpful replies to my questions made it clear that the turnback is the most convenient way to travel when packing a brush in the tropics. Secondly, the rugged construction of a turnback is very suitable for someone like myself who travels with a backpack. Finally, I also enjoy trekking in the Himalayas, so the Simpsons turnback has the added novelty of having been specifically "designed for the intrepid Himalayan explorer Major Victor Beeching.....[the]... open ended tube allowing the brush to breathe within a wetpack or washbag whilst travelling." In addition, brushmeister, Dr.P tells us it is a work of art. Since, I will be using it for over a third of each year, it is very tempting to splurge on the Simpsons Major. But I do know, from my experience using Vulfix brushes, that the Vulfix turnback would also make a fine travelling companion. Hence, the toss-up.

Hal
Hal,
There is one key parameter you mentioned above that I think you may have mentioned some time ago.. Three to four months of travel... I really think that I would be unhappy if I used my pure badger traveler that long. The scritchy factor of the lower grade of badger plying my visage for that long would become irritating (pun intended). As you know, I enjoy lathering with the kiss of the luxurious badger brushes. Perhaps your final decision should be based upon that tiny little bit of ego gratification. Bragging rights, interesting stories of fellow Himalayan explorers, etc. should enter in to a VOTE for SIMPSONS in SUPER! I probably would be more worried about theft than other issues.
Oh, was that Excuuuuuse ME, or Excuse Me? :smile:

Thank you all forthe advise. I went withthe SR-208 from QED Also got a stick of Mocha Java, Frankincense and Myrrh, Davinci Water, Baxter After Shave Balm. Haven't gotten a chance to try it I don't know which soap to try first though.

Jon

Hey Jon!
Congratulations. Lathering with the sitcks is somewhat different than soap in a bowl or tub. Be aware. I know that I had some initial difficulties getting it right. After I got a repeatable method providing luxurious lather with sticks, I look forward each week to one or more stick shaves, e.g.
full
I'm getting to the point where I am contemplating a predinner shave each night to get some more choices into the mill. Just have to remember, it's only a hobbie, it's only a ... :w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 QED New Rose sticks will take a trip to the microwave right after I get a chance to pick up some containers at Wal-Mart.

Jon_M said:
Thank you all forthe advise. I went withthe SR-208 from QED Also got a stick of Mocha Java, Frankincense and Myrrh, Davinci Water, Baxter After Shave Balm. Haven't gotten a chance to try it I don't know which soap to try first though.

Jon
You will really enjoy the Frankincense and Myrrh. I used it this morning for the first time. Wonderful!

Top Bottom