What's new

Torrey Tuesday

I'll add my "Our 136" to the mix today ...
View attachment 940025
The Torrey came from eBay in the condition you see. Sharpened by @Sdm84 and maintained with diamond pasted balsa. The wedge shaped tang makes for an interesting grip. It needs a technique similar to narrow-tang framebacks because a little torque results in a wide swing in the blade angle.

Taconic Shave Bay Rum and my Semogue 2040 HD silvertip left me with a thoroughly enjoyable and BBS shave.
Hey there, I've been waiting on you!! Thanks for joining in. That's a beautiful Our 136. You're is the barber's notch version which I think was the original or at least that's what Strazors show. Happy New Year as well.

Thanks. The notch definitely helps extract the blade from the retaining tabs on the scales.

Happy New Year's, and happy Torrey Tuesday!

Glad to see you are still enjoying your razor @RumpleBearskin I remember it took a fine edge. Happy new year and many good shaves to you sir :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard nothing but positives on those Nanawa stones. Thanks for joining in on TT. Great looking Torrey. :a14:
The Nanawa is a nice stone but I find the shave from it is a little harsh so I use the CROX to smooth it ok, sometimes I continue with a .125 micro balsa strop or natural stone.

I only have the one Torrey, so it will be the same razor over and over. But it's in my weekly rotation now and will be holding down the Tuesday slot for the foreseeable future.

B91A0A2E-B846-4218-AEA0-0CF3FB89B9BD.jpeg
Torrey’s rule!!

Had a fine 3 pass shave

IMG_20190101_203312.jpg
this one says strop and razor manufacturer on tang.only one I've ever seen. Thought I'd strop with a Torrey as well. Bug eaten horn still holding strong.

My "Our 136" again today.
IMG_20190101_152441-01.jpeg

Soap: Temecula Olive Oil Company, Bay Rum
Brush: Maggard's Black and White

Lovely shave and the wedge-shaped tang is getting more and more comfortable to use.

First shave with a quarter hollow "Success" Torrey.
I need to touch up the blade but it is very nice.
My first Torrey.
Anyone knows anything about this model?

Attachments

• 20190109_092651.jpg
    20190109_092651.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
I’m planning to use the Our 136 tomorrow for Torrey Tuesday. Please join me as I celebrate this fine American razor company.

IMG_20190114_203210.jpg
a Torrey race car. 3/8 . Recycled horn. As to @Galhatz . Your success is cool. Couldn't find anything on it. If the tang only has Torrey I believe it's older. I have one with only Torrey and it sure seems like an English import.

5D2D7AAD-E0C5-4F81-95C9-B69A34035D39.jpeg
I just bought this Torrey 992, looks like I have to clean and hone another one and get it ready for next Tuesday. I haven’t even tried my first Torrey yet, kinda hard to use them when you have to get 3 kids ready for school Monday to Friday.

Larry

Last edited:
View attachment 943862 I just found this one, looks like I have to clean and hone another one and get it ready for next Tuesday. I haven’t even tried my first Torrey yet, kinda hard to use them when you have to get 3 kids ready for school Monday to Friday.

Larry
Nice Torrey, Larry. Please join when you can. I remember those days when my children were little.

Same as last week. I won't bore you with pictures...

Razor: Torrey "Our 136”
Soap: Temecula Olive Oil Company, Bay Rum
Brush: Maggard's Black and White

Result: Great shave!

Top Bottom