What's new

Torrey Tuesday

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
11-19-19.torrey.DB.Kit.640JPG.JPG

A Torrey Tuesday post has been a goal. My wild caught Torrey was too nice to be one of my early honing projects. I now have it shaving well, but I can still improve its edge.

J.R. Torrey
Lea menthol cream rubbed in, RazoRock Blue Barbershop triple milled bowl lathered, on the wet side
10039CC4-1E71-48A5-AE5F-1FA6D39F7DF8.jpeg

Tonight's Shave

J R Torrey Barbers notch in red
RazoRock xXx
Clear & Lava 24mm 2 band finest gel tips
Avon Alpha Aftershave

I loved this shave the other day so I used it again tonight, and had a better shave and smell good aswell fantastic result..

36.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
11-3-19.WideTorrey.Kit.DB.Stirling.640.JPG

My Wide Torrey. Recently refreshed edge. The DCA did its job very well.

I need to hone to my satisfaction my Our 136 Torrey razors (I have two I think). Plus, I have another in transit (and it may be sharp, but who knows with eBay vendors).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Had a shave worthy of commemoration tonight, so here it is! MY 136 shod in slate. (What's this OUR crap, anyway?)

I’ve seen a handful of old-line German makers with a shoulderless grind labeled “136” on the tang. Similar to how a bunch of makers have a model “14” that all seem ground from the same dimension blank forgings. I’m guessing those shoulderless 136s pre-date the JR Torrey model by a few decades.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I wondered about why it wasn't My 136 or The 136 or just 136.

My understanding from the gentleman who began this thread and is way into the Torrey razors is Our 136 means ours as in Torrey's. Other companies may have a 136 but this one is Our 136.

I suppose it could have been called the Torrey 136.

Interesting to hear in an earlier comment about the standard shape other companies also called the 136. There's so much I don't know about straights.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I wondered about why it wasn't My 136 or The 136 or just 136.

My understanding from the gentleman who began this thread and is way into the Torrey razors is Our 136 means ours as in Torrey's. Other companies may have a 136 but this one is Our 136.

I suppose it could have been called the Torrey 136.

Interesting to hear in an earlier comment about the standard shape other companies also called the 136. There's so much I don't know about straights.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yeah there are a few examples of near-universal adoption of a numbering system for certain profiles, with individual companies having their own unique twist or tweaks. Probably the most common is the #14. Everyone on here would probably assume if I said I love my #14, it must be either a Filarmonica or a Koraat. Most people also assume the Koraat 14 2.0 is a unique and new design with the bellied hollow grind. I’ve got a Filly 14 and a Boker 14 and I’m always on the lookout for a deal on a Henckels 14. I’m 95% sure my Boker 14 is older than the Filly, and it has nearly exactly the narrower bevel angle, more rounded spine cross section, and bellied hollow grind that are all the features people love in new Koraats. I’m not trying to be accusatory or say there’s anything wrong with a modern reproduction, but IMO the Koraat looks much more like a Boker 14 revival than a modified homage to Filly like people seem to think on here.

The one other 136 I’ve seen that I wish I had bought was a Henckels that appeared pretty old, but I’m not sure of the manufacturing dates of it specifically vs the Torrey’s. I think the “OUR 136” like you’re saying was to be clear that this model is a Torrey 136, which seems to be a more hollow ground and a little bit nicer profile and finish than the German examples I’ve seen just based on pictures.

I’m watching for a Henckels 14 or one of 3 different numbered shoulderless models to try and compare dimensions. There’s also a theory that most or all 14 models across manufacturers were ground from the same blanks made in Solingen, and I think there’s probably a credible argument to be made there. The “OUR 136” by contrast is definitely uniquely JR Torrey made stateside.

Played with a new (to me) Torrey 992 today.
IMG_20191231_072305-01.jpeg

5/8”, Full Hollow, French Point, with Mother of Pearl covered tang.

More narrow than I like. More hollow than I like. But look at that tang and those scales! And the shave was superb.

Any info on what you think the scale material might be are appreciated.

Had the 992 out again this week for Torrey Tuesday.
IMG_20200107_063538-01.jpeg

Torrey 992
Tabac
CRV in Silvertip

Lovely shave this morning. The 992 seems to be one of those razors that seem unremarkable during the shave, but the results turn out to be rather extraordinary.

Tonights Shave for Torrey Tuesday

J. R. Torrey monogram Barber's Notch
RazoRock Stallion
Rubberset 400/4 Silvertip 24mm
Royall Spyce Cologne Royall Lyme

20200107_224658.jpg

Top Bottom