What's new

Torrey Tuesday

I wondered about why it wasn't My 136 or The 136 or just 136.

My understanding from the gentleman who began this thread and is way into the Torrey razors is Our 136 means ours as in Torrey's. Other companies may have a 136 but this one is Our 136.

I suppose it could have been called the Torrey 136.

Interesting to hear in an earlier comment about the standard shape other companies also called the 136. There's so much I don't know about straights.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yeah there are a few examples of near-universal adoption of a numbering system for certain profiles, with individual companies having their own unique twist or tweaks. Probably the most common is the #14. Everyone on here would probably assume if I said I love my #14, it must be either a Filarmonica or a Koraat. Most people also assume the Koraat 14 2.0 is a unique and new design with the bellied hollow grind. I’ve got a Filly 14 and a Boker 14 and I’m always on the lookout for a deal on a Henckels 14. I’m 95% sure my Boker 14 is older than the Filly, and it has nearly exactly the narrower bevel angle, more rounded spine cross section, and bellied hollow grind that are all the features people love in new Koraats. I’m not trying to be accusatory or say there’s anything wrong with a modern reproduction, but IMO the Koraat looks much more like a Boker 14 revival than a modified homage to Filly like people seem to think on here.

The one other 136 I’ve seen that I wish I had bought was a Henckels that appeared pretty old, but I’m not sure of the manufacturing dates of it specifically vs the Torrey’s. I think the “OUR 136” like you’re saying was to be clear that this model is a Torrey 136, which seems to be a more hollow ground and a little bit nicer profile and finish than the German examples I’ve seen just based on pictures.

I’m watching for a Henckels 14 or one of 3 different numbered shoulderless models to try and compare dimensions. There’s also a theory that most or all 14 models across manufacturers were ground from the same blanks made in Solingen, and I think there’s probably a credible argument to be made there. The “OUR 136” by contrast is definitely uniquely JR Torrey made stateside.
It was just a holdover from their internal numbering system. After extensive searching, I have been unable to find other 136 models produced by other manufacturers that match the shoulderless profile of the "OUR 136."
Screenshot_2023-05-11-22-09-28-88_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg

Please correct me and post pictures of these other razors if this information is incorrect.

Just received today! C-MON box shown for scale. 5/8" razor, looks barely used. Patent number on the case is for a double sided cushion backed strop razor case. Patent was filed in 1882, expired in 1899.
Looking forward to getting it honed up and ready for the next Torrey Tuesday.

The scales are not tortoiseshell, unfortunately, but I'm still happy with what I got!
comica1684354396545.png
comica1684354553105.png

I honed up two razors for a friend today, and did a test shave with them, the first two passes with one razor, and a final 3rd pass with the other razor. (I usually stop at two).

Then this evening, I just finished honing the new Torrey I was waiting on to come in the mail, and remembered "it's Torrey Tuesday!" Eyeballed the mirror, yep, there's enough stubble there to make the effort. You know the saying, "if it feels sharp, it's dull. If it feels dull it's sharp?" That was running through my head as I was shaving, because it 'felt' sharp. But the whiskers were falling away, and there was no tugging or pulling, so I just called it good. Stopped with one pass.

Then I made the mistake of reaching for aftershave instead of balm. It's been decades since I've had aftershave actually feel like molten lava. After my 'Home Alone' scream moment, I had to admit that I was well and truly closely shaven.

So, note to self:
"I will not ever again shave with three freshly honed razors on the same day."

I might have gotten away with it if they had all been coticule edges, but unfortunately, two were thuringian edges, and one of those had been bumped up a bit on a surgical black Arkansas.
IMG_20230523_230928.jpg

Top Bottom