What's new

Torrey Tuesday

31ED2FA3-FA4E-4AD1-A56B-91A7D8C1A660.jpeg
820B7471-8E9E-476A-A014-B22D0CAC5FE3.jpeg
D567EDF0-E550-402A-8532-C4AEB906B0BC.jpeg
I now have two Torrey’s for Torrey Tuesday (say that 5 times fast!). I just got my 992 today and decided to polish it up a bit. I used white diamond and it didn’t seem to fade the gold inlay. I used a light coat when I went over it. Let me know what you think.

Oh wow!! That's stunning razor. Is that considered a round tip or hybrid round? Thank you for participating in TT.

It is a French toe with sweged neck, from the overall design and materials used I would assume it’s one of Torrey’s top of the line model. I saw this and everything about it caught my eye, the scales, the MOP tang, the gold 992 and the elegant toe. I’m hoping to have that one honed soon and ready for use. I also bought a Frederick Reynolds with a barbers notch, in total both razors didn’t set me back a whole lot. It always seems to happen that I see a good deal on eBay, I love the overall razor and see the potential of what it could be and I give into the make an offer button just to see what I can get it for.

Larry

It is a French toe with sweged neck, from the overall design and materials used I would assume it’s one of Torrey’s top of the line model. I saw this and everything about it caught my eye, the scales, the MOP tang, the gold 992 and the elegant toe. I’m hoping to have that one honed soon and ready for use. I also bought a Frederick Reynolds with a barbers notch, in total both razors didn’t set me back a whole lot. It always seems to happen that I see a good deal on eBay, I love the overall razor and see the potential of what it could be and I give into the make an offer button just to see what I can get it for.

Larry
I love make an offer options and have been successful on a few.

I did a few laps on the Thuringian in preparation for TT. Tomorrow I will be participating in Micromatic Monday.

Scored this one from the bay the other day. Now that I see it in person, I realize I chose poorly. It’s a 9/16, has heavy wear and patina so heavy that it looks blued. And the edge looks kinda sketchy. We’ll see how it cleans up.

C3D5A959-B6FC-4C78-9E58-511B5AFE2760.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Larry
I’ll hone it and get it back to you quickly if you like. I just got a new Shapton for bevel setting and am in the sad position of having nothing to hone. Just PM me.

MilkCrate, try a product called white diamond. It works wonders on everything I’ve used it on. As far as the blade edge, you could try resetting the bevel and smooth it out as best you can. Of course save the scales if the bade doesn’t work out.

Larry

MilkCrate, try a product called white diamond. It works wonders on everything I’ve used it on. As far as the blade edge, you could try resetting the bevel and smooth it out as best you can. Of course save the scales if the bade doesn’t work out.

Larry

Thanks Larry, I’ll try that. Spent a couple of hours with Mother’s and the patina and crude just laughed mockingly. Looked at the edge with the loupe and it needs some real work and definitely a bevel set.

9B95C8FD-C94C-41F4-8DC3-60AD1BB37C55.jpeg 8F98F218-F3BE-4F01-BD7D-ACAFD90A9A9C.jpeg 51151F7D-BEF1-4436-87F5-CA482F1E5934.jpeg C1C969D1-DA2B-4FC7-BF08-8F7929B6E01E.jpeg I use a product called wenol (blue tube) first and get the big stuff off, then go for the white diamond. I have an example of before and after for you. I only use hand rub only as I too terrified to put a razor to a wheel and god forbid it goes airborne on me. Not that I’m not careful, it’s just the kind of luck I have. I did notice that white diamond dosent strip gold accents if you use it sparingly over it, look at my 992 Torrey pics above. The wenol will remove gold accents quickly so choose your polish accordingly and always be careful with whatever you use and test.

Last edited:
View attachment 945629 View attachment 945630 View attachment 945631 View attachment 945633 I use a product called wenol (blue tube) first and get the big stuff off, then go for the white diamond. I have an example of before and after for you. I only use hand rub only as I too terrified to put a razor to a wheel and god forbid it goes airborne on me. Not that I’m not careful, it’s just the kind of luck I have. I did notice that white diamond dosent strip gold accents if you use it sparingly over it, look at my 992 Torrey pics above. The wenol will remove gold accents quickly so choose your polish accordingly and always be careful with whatever you use and test.
Nice job. I remember seeing the auction for that Torrey. Congratulations

Hi guys this is really my first post. Ive lurked here a bit and finally took the plunge and registered myself . Im very new to the blade shave but I've had some razors most of my adult life as I was just kind of fascinated withas I and it turns out that I have a Torrey! Im wondering if any of you fine gents can give me some info on exactly which one it is if you can. Its not going to stay like this for long, its my favorite of my staights and ill be resoring it soon so hopefully i can join in on torrey tuesday! Thanks fr your great website!

Hi guys this is really my first post. Ive lurked here a bit and finally took the plunge and registered myself . Im very new to the blade shave but I've had some razors most of my adult life as I was just kind of fascinated withas I and it turns out that I have a Torrey! Im wondering if any of you fine gents can give me some info on exactly which one it is if you can. Its not going to stay like this for long, its my favorite of my staights and ill be resoring it soon so hopefully i can join in on torrey tuesday! Thanks fr your great website!
I'm so happy you dropped in and have an interest in the J.R. Torrey razors. Below is some company information.
STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - The J.R.Torrey Co.,Worcester, Mass.

Kooldecker, the razor in the picture is a frame backed Frederick Reynolds. Most definitely 1890 and less because it states Sheffield and no country of manufacture. It is a nice blade for sure and would make a nice restoration. Look under the “restoration and razor making how to” tab and you will see a Frederick Reynolds I just purchased and restored that’s around 1850 ish. It’s amazing how well these razors were made and how they come back to life.

Larry

Top Bottom