Torrey Tuesday

CA8B38FF-7585-42C9-B65E-E7D82C03453D.jpeg
Finally got this Torrey Monogram where I wanted it. Happy Tuesday everyone
Any one using a Torrey today

Torrey 232
Arko stick
Maggard's Black and White
IMG_20190820_053227-01.jpeg

Every time I use this Torrey I find myself thinking, "I need to take this back to the stones." But by the time I'm finished, BBS. What is it about this razor that gives such great results from a process that just feels "off"?

7884111D-40E9-4CD8-8D04-067FE2DB759A.jpeg

Second time out for this TORREY. I took it to Thuringian after the Coticule and it’s much better this time around.

Mine does the same @RumpleBearskin . I can’t get it to feel as keen as I want, but I also can’t argue with the results.

Did pass one with the Torrey monogram today, and pass 2 with a different edge I’m testing and confirmed the other vintage American felt MUCH keener with similar progression and in theory similar geometry/bevel angles. The torrey shaves great, but it’s still bothering me.

Todays Shave on Torrey Tuesday

J R Torrey Full Double Concave
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Soap
Brass brush with a 22mm 2 band silvertip
Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

7.jpg

Had a fantastic shave this edge was very smooth with a 2 pass, I can say these are a very good razors and they take a very good edge of a Jnat. As I have just got this razor but looks like the blade snaps have been removed.....

Todays Shave on Torrey Tuesday

J R Torrey Full Double Concave
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Soap
Brass brush with a 22mm 2 band silvertip
Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

View attachment 1009758

Had a fantastic shave this edge was very smooth with a 2 pass, I can say these are a very good razors and they take a very good edge of a Jnat. As I have just got this razor but looks like the blade snaps have been removed.....
I concur @Ice-Man, I too own a full double concave and I think it shaves wonderfully smooth. Torrey advertised as make a very smooth efficient razor. Also I suspect that those scales are original to your razor. As Torrey used those scales on other razors they produced with the covered tang. Like the one pictured.
B7306B03-1CD5-4EA8-97BF-4E8D019A6F63.jpeg 17DDADA6-D2E5-435D-800F-207087358D63.jpeg

I concur @Ice-Man, I too own a full double concave and I think it shaves wonderfully smooth. Torrey advertised as make a very smooth efficient razor. Also I suspect that those scales are original to your razor. As Torrey used those scales on other razors they produced with the covered tang. Like the one pictured.
View attachment 1009778 View attachment 1009779

Deelyte
Thank you Sir!!! I did wonder that but looking closer you can see where the scales have been altered, see picture I have left it full size so your able to see what I mean.....

20190820_220052.jpg

So I now have a choice to hunt for scales with the snaps still on, or make a new set with them on but then it comes to colour and style.

Deelyte
Thank you Sir!!! I did wonder that but looking closer you can see where the scales have been altered, see picture I have left it full size so your able to see what I mean.....

View attachment 1009786

So I now have a choice to hunt for scales with the snaps still on, or make a new set with them on but then it comes to colour and style.
Oh yeah, I can clearly see that now. That’s to bad I kind of like the snaps. They sure do hold the blade in place.

Looking forward to seeing the ones you make if you choose to go that route

Oh yeah, I can clearly see that now. That’s to bad I kind of like the snaps. They sure do hold the blade in place.

Looking forward to seeing the ones you make if you choose to go that route

Yes it is a great pity they was removed, unless one was broken but I will never know that but if I do go the route of making some I will keep these scales....

The main problem will be finding as I dont want a bold pattern, a possible green pearl

Torrey Tuesdays shave was this little 5/8 barbers notch rescaled refurbed..the brush my travel mini badger, soap was TOOBS Sandlewood, cube pre-shave, usual GJ alum, and Menthoholic Lime afterwards..
IMG_20190820_163614.jpg

Gotta revisit the king 1k then the film possibly, not happy with the edge on her pretty sure my bevel setting was off there was some tug but still I managed a 3 pass DFS...gonna scope the edge again and see if I botched it on the strop....

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've examined my Torrey with the blade snap holders and been unable to determine how to duplicate the tabs. Not saying you can't do it. Just saying if you do it, I'd like to know how.

Torrey.WithBladeHolderSnaps.5-31-19.640.JPG

The tabs are not all in one plane. I'm not with the razor at the moment to get a better view but I think the tabs sorta curve inwards a little bit (to hold the blade).

I've examined my Torrey with the blade snap holders and been unable to determine how to duplicate the tabs. Not saying you can't do it. Just saying if you do it, I'd like to know how.

View attachment 1009801

The tabs are not all in one plane. I'm not with the razor at the moment to get a better view but I think the tabs sorta curve inwards a little bit (to hold the blade).
They do my other Torrey has them...

View attachment 1009801

Hi Jim....
I just looked last night and yes they are but they are sanded away to have a lip at the top, but I did a template of my other with the blade snaps and they are the same size.

So I might make a set in translucent amber as a test set this weekend, or what about a translucent dark green take into account these will be a test sets...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim....
I just looked last night and yes they are but they are sanded away to have a lip at the top, but I did a template of my other with the blade snaps and they are the same size.

So I might make a set in translucent amber as a test set this weekend, or what about a translucent dark green take into account these will be a test sets...

They sound very interesting. I can't wait to see how it works out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I could probably carve some out of wood if I had one good example. The tabs might have to be just a bit wider down the length of the scale cause that’d be a short long grain attachment.

I could probably carve some out of wood if I had one good example. The tabs might have to be just a bit wider down the length of the scale cause that’d be a short long grain attachment.

I dont think they would work in wood as that tiny bit would be a weak point, as that tiny bit needs to flex and the strain would be to much over time were as Acrylic does flex.....

Top Bottom