What's new

Torrey Scotch Shell Strop

I found this hanging on a wall at a flea market today. It's in excellent condition, all I did was wipe it with a damp cloth. Now I understand what the buttery feel is. This thing is incredibly soft.

20190405_163303.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-230135_Gallery.jpg

20190405_162922.jpg
20190405_162946.jpg

Now comes the questions. It says Torrey Strops but it also says The Suntorbach Co. Adrian Mich. Does this have anything to do with JR Torrey?

What do they mean by Scotch Shell, what is the difference between Scotch and other Shell strips?

What about the back side, is this canvas or some other type of cloth and how should I clean it?

I'll leave it there for now, thanks for any information you can give.

Torrey made it and the other company had them put the merchant name. I believe that linen is old time fire hose. The Torrey company made strops before they made straights. I have three strops and about 9 straights from the company. Before they made straights they had other companies make them with the Torrey stamp. I'm a big fan of the Torrey company. Look at (strazors.com) . Lots of history of razor companies . there's a cool write up of the Torrey history. Sweet score at the flea market.

Very nice vintage strop!
The back is linen or cotton. Looks to need a cleaning. You will know it is hose if it is actually a hose, I bet it isn't.
Is it a "tube" flattened or is it a solid piece of fabric?

Torrey made it and the other company had them put the merchant name. I believe that linen is old time fire hose. The Torrey company made strops before they made straights. I have three strops and about 9 straights from the company. Before they made straights they had other companies make them with the Torrey stamp. I'm a big fan of the Torrey company. Look at (strazors.com) . Lots of history of razor companies . there's a cool write up of the Torrey history. Sweet score at the flea market.

Very nice vintage strop!
The back is linen or cotton. Looks to need a cleaning. You will know it is hose if it is actually a hose, I bet it isn't.
Is it a "tube" flattened or is it a solid piece of fabric?

Thanks for the information Gentlemen.

I started to say it isn't a tube but I thought I would go ahead and check. Well I would have been wrong, it is a tube. Is that good or bad and is there a better way to clean it?

20190407_135105.jpg

I usually take mine apart from hanger. Then I soak in sink with Dawn. I've never had one clean up like new. If it never had paste it should soften up nice. Sometimes they are no longer smooth at edges where the tube folds.

Not necessarily bad if it is a tube. Some are better than others. I prefer solid if given the choice.
As Dick peck says, take it off the hanger and soak it with dish detergent (Dawn is good) I also scrub mine with a nail brush to dislodge crud in every direction imaginable.
Rinse extremely well, maybe even hang with some weight on the end to help with the inevitable shrinkage.
Softening over a crisp edge of sometime and moving back and forth to help soften the fibers may help when dry.
I have ironed some before also to smooth them down, it works quite well.

I found this hanging on a wall at a flea market today. It's in excellent condition, all I did was wipe it with a damp cloth. Now I understand what the buttery feel is. This thing is incredibly soft.

View attachment 969796
View attachment 969797
View attachment 969798 View attachment 969799

Now comes the questions. It says Torrey Strops but it also says The Suntorbach Co. Adrian Mich. Does this have anything to do with JR Torrey?

What do they mean by Scotch Shell, what is the difference between Scotch and other Shell strips?

What about the back side, is this canvas or some other type of cloth and how should I clean it?

I'll leave it there for now, thanks for any information you can give.
How much did your strop cost good find

That is a great find!

I didn't know firehose or tubes of fabric was used by manufacturers. Or did the barbers just put the section of hose on the back themself?

Great strop.

For the linen I would not clean it. It's probably impregnated with the old linen dressing like Dovo's white and you don't want to remove that because it's a good thing to have. It helps to mildly keen the edge.

I would merely apply Bay Rum or rubbing alchohol to a rag and wipe both sides of the strop to help disinfect it of anything that may be lingering on it. Then apply strop dressing to the leather, just a small amount to work it in. Afterwards use to your hearts content.

This has worked well for me over the years.

Hope that helps.

Chris

I wonder if maybe it is the opposite, made by Suntorbach and re-branded for Torrey .. I've seen other strops with the Suntorbach name, including this one I picked up floating in the Bay a while back ..
View attachment 976119
See also this one VINTAGE SUNTORBACH CO. LEATHER RAZOR STROP- ADRIAN, MICH. | #400830411

The Suntorbach has also appeared previously on B&B, though there's not much information about them ..

That is possible, I'm no expert. Or maybe Suntorbach had different strop makers making strops for them.

That is a great find!

I didn't know firehose or tubes of fabric was used by manufacturers. Or did the barbers just put the section of hose on the back themself?

Thanks. As I've said before, I'm no expert but I believe some strop makers used actual fire hose.

Great strop.

For the linen I would not clean it. It's probably impregnated with the old linen dressing like Dovo's white and you don't want to remove that because it's a good thing to have. It helps to mildly keen the edge.

I would merely apply Bay Rum or rubbing alchohol to a rag and wipe both sides of the strop to help disinfect it of anything that may be lingering on it. Then apply strop dressing to the leather, just a small amount to work it in. Afterwards use to your hearts content.

This has worked well for me over the years.

Hope that helps.

Chris

I haven't cleaned the linen yet, thanks for the advice.

Thanks. As I've said before, I'm no expert but I believe some strop makers used actual fire hose.
The position and size of the logo on the fabric does make it appear original. The old hoses I've seen usually had stripes. Maybe they didn't at that time or it was made to order.

You could always use it before deciding whether you want to wash it. Or you could use a piece of unused firehose to replace it. I would probably want to keep it original.

Suntorbach specialized in producing leather goods such as razor strops, knife sheathes, etc for other companies.

Attachments

• IMG_6137.jpeg
    IMG_6137.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 7
Don't know Scotch shell from any other shell, but it's Cordovan leather, from horse hips. I have one Horween strop and have never used another since getting it. Nice find!!

Top Bottom