What's new

Torrey. For Tuesday SOTD

I have other Torreys to choose from but this one was asking for help. Slightly crusty and cracked black plastic scales.
So while my wife made dinner I made this.
Usual sanding and clean up. Brushed finish on the blade and polished tang and spine.
Scrounged through my 2nd pile of scrap scales and found a winner. Easier than making a new set.
Needed a bit of work as you could see an impression of a former logo I had removed. No biggie. Sand, polish and they look pretty nice. Hone and I’m good to go.
Decent looking razor I think.

IMG_2445.jpeg

IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

IMG_2448.jpeg

IMG_2449.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2454.jpeg
IMG_2453.jpeg

Last edited:
Another great save!
I always see blades with this type of hone wear, the frown and spine wear especially, so I usually avoid them. Do you do any special hone effort to bring them back to life?

I read about many getting their panties in a bunch about hone wear.
Absurd in my opinion.

“Oh that razor has too much spine wear” . Don’t buy it. It’s no good. Oh that bevel is too wide.
Ignorance. They don’t know what they’re looking at. Or understand natural wear patterns in razors.
Well, if it’s old and has been honed properly it will. That how it should look. I really don’t give a rats *** about hone wear on a spine.
No,, it doesn’t look beautiful as if the razor is brand new but the nature of a blade honed over years (less tape) will show spine wear as well as the blade getting narrower.
The beauty is the razor keeps its geometry as it wears its spine and gets narrower.
The razor gets narrower and the spine thinner. It’ll shave great.
That’s the plan.

This wear is minimal at best in my opinion.
The razor shaved beautifully and it’s part of my rotation. Spine wear or not I really do not care one bit.
It was a great shave.
And some will proclaim ,,, “ too much spine wear”
Gimme’ a break.
What do I do to get it to shave? Hone it. And enjoy it.
What others proclaim in my view is BS.

Just my take on it.

Last edited:
I read about many getting their panties in a bunch about hone wear.
Absurd in my opinion.

“Oh that razor has too much spine wear” . Don’t buy it. It’s no good. Oh that bevel is too wide.
Ignorance. They don’t know what they’re looking at. Or understand natural wear patterns in razors.
Well, if it’s old and has been honed properly it will. That how it should look. I really don’t give a rats *** about hone wear on a spine.
No,, it doesn’t look beautiful as if the razor is brand new but the nature of a blade honed over years (less tape) will show spine wear as well as the blade getting narrower.
The beauty is the razor keeps its geometry as it wears its spine and gets narrower.
The razor gets narrower and the spine thinner. It’ll shave great.
That’s the plan.

This wear is minimal at best in my opinion.
The razor shaved beautifully and it’s part of my rotation. Spine wear or not I really do not care one bit.
It was a great shave.
And some will proclaim ,,, “ too much spine wear”
Gimme’ a break.
What do I do to get it to shave? Hone it. And enjoy it.
What others proclaim in my view is BS.

Just my take on it.
When people give me crap about convex honing, I think I'll just direct them to this thread so they'll really have something to whine about.

There are many paths to a good shave.

Top Bottom