What's new

Toronto, ON, Canada

In the spirit of this thread, I offer up this for a starter.

Sherway Gardens, West Mall & Queensway, Etobicoke: Crabtree & Evelyn, L'Occitane En Provence, and a mens' shoppe beside the C&E whose name I didn't get but sells Art of Shaving supplies

Toronto Barber Supplies, Toronto: Corner of Bay and Dundas. The famous J.M. Fraser shaving cream, some modern straights, strops, Merkur DEs, and some Arkansas stones for the honing connoisseur

Personal Edge, Eaton Centre, Toronto and Hillcrest Mall, Richmond Hill: Merkur DEs and blades, modern straight razors, strops

Shopper's Drug Mart, everywhere in the dang city: The wonderful Florena cream, Wilkinson shave soap (blue tub), Gillette DE blades for the adventurous (I'm not), Cromwell and Carruthers shave oil "replacement" for soaps/creams (could probably be used as a pre-shave oil if you're into that, I myself use it as part of my aftershave regime sometimes)

T and L Drug Store, corner of Rhodes and Gerrard St. E.: The wonderful(ly long and heavy) Ship DE razor, German Wilkinson DE blades, Proraso Green, something called "English Lather" cream which I wasn't brave enough to buy, really awful shaving brushes worth the trip just to laugh at to yourself. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this place since this is where I bought my first DE, the Ship...:001_tt1:

Lee Valley: Norton Water Stones as listed in the Lynn Abrams video for the straight edge guy or gal who wants to hone their own

I'm sure other Torontonians can add to this list, but it's a start.

Great List now I know where to find the J.M Fraser. If your feeling adventurous you can visit a Rexall Pharmacy and buy a 5 pack of American Personnas for 8 bucks

Truefill and Hill old fashioned barber shop. Her Majesty's Barber. Straight razor shave available. Lots of stuff from England. Scotia Plaza, 40 King St. West, Box 201Toronto, Ontario M5H 3Y2
Canada Phone: 416-214-4646

Tabacco Haven Atrium on Bay at Bay and Dundas. almost everything one can think of including lots of creams, soaps, brushes, a few straight razors and a few Merkurs.

Truefill and Hill old fashioned barber shop. Her Majesty's Barber. Straight razor shave available. Lots of stuff from England. Scotia Plaza, 40 King St. West, Box 201Toronto, Ontario M5H 3Y2
Canada Phone: 416-214-4646

Tabacco Haven Atrium on Bay at Bay and Dundas. almost everything one can think of including lots of creams, soaps, brushes, a few straight razors and a few Merkurs.

If you are a Sunday shopper (like me) note that neither of these fine establishments is open on that day. I was peeking in through the glass door at the Tobacco Haven place and drooling, though, there was one side of a glass floor case of shaving goodies there. Maybe two sides worth, I saw some soap bowls around the corner from the brushes and other goodies. :w00t:

Came across a nice selection of Penhaligon's colognes at Noor in the Four Seasons Hotel. Didn't realize there was a place in Canada to purchase Penhaligon's products.

Also, Natures Emporium in Newmarket has a great selection of Dr Bronners, Kiss My Face, Burts Bee, Thayer's, just to name a few.

Actually, there are at least two glass display cases, 4 sides each if memory serves full of shaving gear, soaps, creams and brushes to suit all budgets. It may be worth a trip on a day other than a Sunday. Happily, my office is one block away, so shopping there is not a problem. Just picked up a tube of Prorasso for Cdn $9.95.

Highland Farms supermarket (at least the shop located on Dufferin St., between Finch and Steeles) sells Proraso products fairly cheap. A tube of Proraso went for about $5.00-6.00 CDN a couple of years ago, when I last purchased that product.
Also, on a thread related note, I checked out Barber and Beauty supply on the corner of Bay and Dundas, and was quite disappointed. The selection of products for sale was very limited; only one model of Merkur DE available, maybe 2-3 straights and a couple types of shave cream. :frown: Ah well, I have yet to check out the tobacco shop at the Atrium...:smile:

Soapscope 297 Roncesvalles Avenue, south of Howard Park, offers handmade products including shaving creams, moisturizers, and of course soaps made right on the premises with natural ingredients.

Also available: shea butter, lanolin, glycerin, oils and scents

www.soapscope.com

3% discount on web orders.

Toronto Barber Supplies also has a location in Richmond Hill with basically the same supplies as the downtown store.

The store in Sherway that sells the Art of Shaving i believe is Eddie Bauer/long Island Stogies. There is a Cuban Cigar store in Square 1 right beside C&E that sells MAssey-Caswell ( I hope I spelled it right) and Kent brushes and I thought I saw DR Harris Shave Bowls. I know for sure that in Queens's Quay terminal there is a Knife/Pen store that has a display case of shaving Goodies right in front. They have DR HArris shaving soaps and some Proraso shave cream. The C&E in Sherway still has the small Almond shave soaps for $6.99. I used it this morning, I like. I think I will buy a few more.
"Anything for a buck or two" Sells Indian made DE Blades 5 for a dollar. I haven't tried them as I have about 200 DE blades already stockpiled.

If anyone is looking for Art of Shaving products check out Holt Renfrew,
50 Bloor Street West and Yorkdale Mall.

The Big Carrot (348 Danforth Avenue) has Alba, Kiss My Face, Tom's of Maine, and a whole bunch of expensive shaving products that made my eyes glaze over when I looked at their price tag. They even sell the excellent shampoo bar that gets mislabelled as "shaving soap", Herban Cowboy.

They even have little trial size portions of Alba in a bowl in the window. Note: I have no idea how good Alba is. :biggrin:

Whole Foods market on Avenue Rd., (close to Bloor) sells Kiss my Face, Herban Cowboy, Thayers witch hazel, and some other misc. organic type shave stuff. I went to the local Highland Farms grocery, on Dufferin, between Steeles and Finch, and found not only the Proraso creams, but also Omega, and Florena creams. Omega boar brushes, and some other misc. Proraso shave products. All for quite reasonable prices.

Toronto Barber Supplies also has a location on Orfus in North York.

The Shoppers on Wilson and Keele seems to have the cheapest Florena cream I have seen. I belive I paid $3.29 a couple of months ago. Also had Omega cream at $5.49 and same price for Prorasso soap.

T

Trinbaron

The Shopper's Drug Mart on Avenue Road north of Lawrence carries the Proraso shaving foam and the cream in a tub.

Victor's Pharmacy at 180 Dundas Street West which is in the building complex that includes 123 Edward Street sells Proraso both in tubes and tubs.

Cigar Studio (4 Willingdon Blvd., www.cigarstudio.com) has a small selection of shaving things along with the usual tobacco suspects, including the first Muehle Pinsel brushes I've seen on sale in Toronto. You have to buy one of those fancy handled Trac II things with it, though, as part of a stand set. Also Proraso foam, soap, and a variety of other products I couldn't see because I was staring at them through a glass case. Oddly enough, no Proraso cream. Also Kent brushes, and some other brushes whose name I did not recognize (and do not remember, I blush to admit). And the Kent/Mitchell woolfat soap.

Top Bottom