What's new

Toronto, ON, Canada

Oh, now thats exciting! Did you happen to see a price tag?

No. I'm sure a call to the guy who runs the place would yield great results, he seemed very friendly and offered to open up the case to let me have a look, but I was in a hurry to get to work and couldn't linger. The smoke shop on Dundas and Bay (already mentioned) also carries it, but again, I have no idea what the $$$ amount would be.

Starting the 1st of April the Stillwater spa at the Park Hyatt (4 Avenue Road) willl have ê Shave products available. The Men's Power Spa located at 14 Duncan Street already carries ê Shave products.
Also Holt Renfrew carries the Creed fragrance line.

Kiehl's at 407 Queen St. W. sells...Kiehl's. Not sure of the quality of their products (nothing on the board I can find), but they do offer free samples which I will be trying out on the weekend. I have a "brushless" shave cream sample, some shave oil, and some aftershave balm. The person giving out the samples quizzed me on shave characteristics (is my beard tough, do I get irritation easily, etc.) before making my selection of samples. I'm sure if you said "Me want this!" and point, however, they will be happy to give you a sample of whatever.

Kiehl's are one of the best for samples. They will load you up with everything. I haven't used their shave products before but their Ultimate aftershave balm moisturizer is my favorite. Have been using it for over three years now. Love it!

There is one other Kiehl's store at 2518 Yonge Street (north of eglinton).
You also can get Kiehl's products at all Holt Renfrew locations.

In about one months time, Noor in the Four Seasons Hotel will have the complete lineup of Penhaligon's products. I scored the last tub of their Blenheim Bouquet shaving cream. It wasn't cheap but boy is it awesome!

Let me add a few ... ( I live in Niagara region, but frequently drive through the GTA) ...

C&E in the Pen Centre, St. Catharines, has some Kent Brushes! Most of their EJ hardware is 70% off at the moment. Same in LimeRidge Mall, Hamilton, and Square One. A lot of this stuff is damaged and chipped. Small wonder, the staff have no idea what it is, never mind how to sell. It just sits there. Quote from C&E staff: "I didn't know much about shaving brushes, until they told me their were actually made with BADGER hair. Neat, eh?"

Toronto Barber and Beauty Supply on Mavis Rd in Mississauga had some Personna Blades (no clue which ones - I'm new) at 50 cents each, and I scored (?) a bottle of Clubman's AS for 10 bucks - 4 times the volume in the bottle as my old soon to be abandonned Gillette Cool Wave crap AS for the same price at Wal-Mart. Nothing else. They have a website, and several locations in the GTA, not just the head office in Weston (on Orfus) or the Big Store (Bay and Dundas) mentioned by others.

Personal Edge stores stock Merkur. The bigger the store, the more chance of finding a little inventory. I bought a Merkur DE (they couldn't tell me which model - I'm still staring puzzled at the website to identify it) and some Merkur blades at Square One , after 3 weeks of checking the LimeRidge Mall outlet for a measley 10 blades.

Someone mentioned the tobacco store next to C&E at Square One. It has the best breadth of inventory I've seen outside of Toronto downtown (still Mine to Discover). BUT everything I've discovered is more than twice what it costs on the web. Gorgeous Barber Pole Merkur (C$99 YIKES). Kent brushes, Arlington (is it?), Merkur Futur ($200 bucks!!! mine was $30 used on ebay!!!!)

Shopper's Drug Mart stocks (as mentioned by others) Florena, Proraso, and Wilkinson brushes and paste. The bigger the store, the better the selection.

The best Shopper's inventory I have seen is next to Whole Foods in Oakville (who stock KMF and Tom's of Maine, and Herban Cowboy, like all of WH stores.) This store even stocks Zihr products, and the ever-present and ineffective Neutragena .

Knowledge level is low in all these locations.

There is a good sized ebay seller based in Brampton (just north of TO). He sells Merkur and Taylor's products at full cost plus and clearly makes his money on shipping and handling. When questioned on combining S&H costs, I was told that if I didn't like it, don't buy. I'm taking his advice.

[Anyone know the lowest online price for Taylor's products, including S&H?]

The Barber's Chair is set up in many malls, including the Pen Ctr, and Square One. I saw my first alum block on a store shelf at Square One - 4 bucks.

Hamilton and Niagara are a wet shaver's desert, as far as this new guy can tell. I keep inviting my wife to dinner in downtown TO, so that i can suggest an impromptu visit to TBBS and/or T&H.

Paul

P.S. I've noticed this shave/shopping thing gets obsessive for some of you guys. Thank God I'm not prone to that. ... Shop safely.

This is a great thread for those who like to see something in person before they buy it. There's a store in Vaughn Mills shopping centre that has quite a few Merkur products, but the prices are steep. A Merkur Futur was $195.00.

Thayer's seems to be available in a number of health food stores, as are crystal deodorant sticks. In fact, my local grocery store has Henri Bernard crystal deodorant sticks for just over four bucks.

Has anyone been to the Crabtree & Evelyn in the Eaton Centre? Does it carry shaving products?

Mark.

I forgot to add I purchased my jar of Tabac shaving soap at Enchante Perfumes in the Vaughn Mills mall. The also had the soap refill.

Hi,

Loblaws (at least in the York Region stores) carries Kiss My Face shaving cream and Thayers Original Witch Hazel in their organics section.

Cheers.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Statesman & Sleuth (or is it Sleuth & Statesman) in the Exchange Tower, First Canadian Place in Torornto; they carry some high-end products although I note that their selection has been diminishing over time. Also, there is a C&E store in the Mapleview Mall in Burlington that carries a full range of C&E shaving supplies, some Kent and C&E shaving brushes and some Kent combs and hairbrushes. With respect to the kent products, I think it would be cheaper to order it from Kent in the UK, however. The Added Touch in Oakville carries Kent hairbrushes and combs and I've suggested to the owner that she may want to think about adding a line of quality shaving supplies and she seemed receptive; I generously offered my services as a consultant (pro bono of course) so next time you're in Oakville drop by the store and ask why they don't carry shaving supplies.

Thanks To the Information Supplied by Handy I purchased the Tabac bowl at Enchante perfumery at Erin Mills Town centre. Therefore I dispelled the myth that between Square 1 and Hamilton there are no good wetshaving supplies. You got to love the smell of that Tabac can't wait to use it. Also Sampled some Creed Green Irish tweed, very nice don't know if I want to spend a 105$

P.S
The Enchante website (www.eperfumes.ca) has the Tabac Bowl for $5 dollars less then the store but if you factor shipping you don't save anything accept the drive to the GTA.

You twigged my memory: the Enchante Perfume store in the Mapleview Mall in Burlington sells Tabac products (AS and shaving soap) as well as 4711 AS and Cologne, Royall Bay Rhum, etc. and other designer-type *** and colognes.

The Tabac Bowl was $28. I think but I'm not 100 percent sure that the web site had it for $23. I never would have guessed that this shoebox of a store in a very boring mall would have something good. Funny that DR Harris and AOS which are more expensive are easier to find in Toronto.

Nothing is THAT easy to find, unfortunately.

I have a TABAC bowl on the way to me direct from Germany at 24.50 US plus about 10 bucks S&H.

The stock levels on all of these little stores, west of TO, is quite low. Inventory is hit and miss. The real question is, is it cheaper to go to the mall, or to get it online.

Why not compare costs landed, when we each get our stuff?? :)

Let me add a few ... ( I live in Niagara region, but frequently drive through the GTA) ...

There is a good sized ebay seller based in Brampton (just north of TO). He sells Merkur and Taylor's products at full cost plus and clearly makes his money on shipping and handling. When questioned on combining S&H costs, I was told that if I didn't like it, don't buy. I'm taking his advice.

[Anyone know the lowest online price for Taylor's products, including S&H?]

QUOTE]

This is just false, pure and simple. I offer combined shipping and that can be seen on any of my items that I have for sale.
Regarding my prices, please take in consideration the higher Canadian taxes, duties and freight cost, is that simple. Please check the differences in price between Menessentials USA and Canada.
I know that web-forums are a free territory; however I expect a little decency.
Regards,
Alfred

Shopper's Drug Mart just West of Dupont Station has Proraso tubes, soap, pre/post and both types of canned foam. Also Omega "natural bristle" brushes for like $14.95. For anyone who needs razors in a pinch, there's a dollar/discount store just below Yonge & St.Clair on the East side. Pack of 5 Wilkinson Classic razors for $1.99 and 5 Super-Max Platinum for $1.00. Also, at Yonge & Hillsdale, South of Yonge & Eglinton there's a discount store on the S.E. corner - pack of 10 Israeli "Precision" blades for $1.99 ($1.47 at Walmart but saves you a trip)

Here's some other TO places I have only read about online. Sorry, not sure exactly what all of them stock
-"Festival" Italian grocery at College & Grace
-"Lady York Foods" 2939 Dufferin
(Not sure if the above two have anything more than Proraso)
- "Waverly Hair and Body Essentials" 1388 Yonge (Brave Soldier)
- "Kirsch Cosmetic Clinic" 257 Eglinton Ave (Also has Brave Soldier I believe)
- "Outer Layer" 430 Bloor St. W.
- "Sephora" 220 Yonge (plus other locations)
- "Old Country Shop" 335 Roncesvalles

Top Bottom