What's new

Tornado Warning!

Zig:
Glad you & yours are OK my friend...sigh...was it a EF1 or more?
proxy.php

proxy.php
"We understand tornadoes scientifically, but it still feels supernatural. The randomness makes it feel supernatural". Michael Koryta
No. They're now saying that it was a "powerful storm that didn't meet the criteria for a tornado".
There's still a lot of damage in the neighborhood from the wind / rain.

Yup... that’s pretty specific lol. I’m in Kansas myself. We get our share of tornadoes. I can handle it just fine during the day, but when the sirens go off at night, we’ll that’s a different story.
Google says I'm in the "East North Central" division, and the Great Lakes region. Ohio.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup... that’s pretty specific lol. I’m in Kansas myself. We get our share of tornadoes. I can handle it just fine during the day, but when the sirens go off at night, we’ll that’s a different story.

I lived in Kansas for awhile...Topeka then Emporia. They can have some fierce twisty winds there.

It starts about 1:50 into the clip.

I lived in Kansas for awhile...Topeka then Emporia. They can have some fierce twisty winds there.

It starts about 1:50 into the clip.

I got to tell you, I’ve live through three hurricanes back in my island days. They’ve got nothing on some of the violence I’ve seen Mother Nature dole out here. It’s “impressive.”

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Working in the Oklahoma City Metro for over 20 years, I have had first hand, up close experience with two F5's, two F4's and too many F3 and F2's to count. I have seen several lifetimes worth of destruction and death from violent tornadoes.

Working in the Oklahoma City Metro for over 20 years, I have had first hand, up close experience with two F5's, two F4's and too many F3 and F2's to count. I have seen several lifetimes worth of destruction and death from violent tornadoes.

My sister currently lives in Norman, OK after living in Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Moore, and Pauls Valley. Although she has never taken a direct hit, the house she once owned in Moore was completely destroyed by a tornado. Her home in Norman is now equipped with a reinforced concrete storm shelter, just in case.

OkieStubble

My sister currently lives in Norman, OK after living in Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Moore, and Pauls Valley. Although she has never taken a direct hit, the house she once owned in Moore was completely destroyed by a tornado. Her home in Norman is now equipped with a reinforced concrete storm shelter, just in case.

My brothers house and entire neighborhood was completely destroyed in the May 20 2013 F5 tornado in Moore Ok, which is a suburb just to the south of OKC. He lived one block due west of the Plaza Towers elementary school where 9 children lost their lives. The tornado came directly down his street just before hitting the school. The tornado was over 1 1/4 mile wide with winds approaching 250 miles an hour. Nothing but his foundation was left. It turned neighborhood streets into dirt roads, by stripping the asphalt, curbs and sidewalks completely away.

I was only one of thousands of emergency personnel who responded that day; and I couldn't find where his house was located after having been there many times over the years, as it appeared literally, like the surface of mars, or some type of thermonuclear landscape.

I responded and witnessed and worked, this exact same type of devastation 11 day later after another F5 ripped thru El Reno Ok, which is a suburb just to the west of OKC on May 31, 2013.

I also responded and was assigned as a "spotter" to stay ahead of the May 3rd 1999 tornado, to warn and re-direct evening commuting traffic away from the tornado, which was also an F5 as it went thru the OKC Metro, traveling thru Bridge Creek, Moore and Midwest City. It was a very long track tornado.

It is still on record as being the strongest tornado in history with over 300 mph winds and was over 1 1/2 miles wide.

Last edited:
My brothers house and entire neighborhood was completely destroyed in the May 20 2013 F5 tornado in Moore Ok, which is a suburb just to the south of OKC. He lived one block due west of the Plaza Towers elementary school where 9 children lost their lives. The tornado came directly down his street just before hitting the school. The tornado was over 1 1/4 mile wide with winds approaching 250 miles an hour. Nothing but his foundation was left. It turned neighborhood streets into dirt roads, by stripping the asphalt, curbs and sidewalks completely away.

I was only one of thousands of emergency personnel who responded that day; and I couldn't find where his house was located after having been there many times over the years, as it appeared literally, like the surface of mars, or some type of thermonuclear landscape.

I responded and witnessed and worked, this exact same type of devastation 11 day later after another F5 ripped thru El Reno Ok, which is a suburb just to the west of OKC on May 31, 2013.

I also responded and was assigned as a "spotter" to stay ahead of the May 3rd 1999 tornado, to warn and re-direct evening commuting traffic away from the tornado, which was also an F5 as it went thru the OKC Metro, traveling thru Bridge Creek, Moore and Midwest City. It was a very long track tornado.

It is still on record as being the strongest tornado in history with over 300 mph winds and was over 1 1/2 miles wide.

Thank you OkieStubble for serving your community as a weather spotter. Weather spotters are the NWS eyes and ears on the ground to verify what radar images are indicating.

I suspect it was the 2013 tornado that wiped out my sister's previously owned home. She was either in Paul's Valley or Norman at the time.

I am an amateur radio operator and I have taken the NWS training to serve as a weather spotter. I have a friend who is a storm chaser, but that is another thing altogether. I am glad we get very few tornadoes in northern Illinois, but they do occur. We have had EF4 tornadoes in the past, but nothing like the EF5s that you can get down in Oklahoma.

Although tornadoes can occur any month of the year, April, May and June are prime months, so stay safe my friend.

OkieStubble

Thank you OkieStubble for serving your community as a weather spotter. Weather spotters are the NWS eyes and ears on the ground to verify what radar images are indicating.

I suspect it was the 2013 tornado that wiped out my sister's previously owned home. She was either in Paul's Valley or Norman at the time.

I am an amateur radio operator and I have taken the NWS training to serve as a weather spotter. I have a friend who is a storm chaser, but that is another thing altogether. I am glad we get very few tornadoes in northern Illinois, but they do occur. We have had EF4 tornadoes in the past, but nothing like the EF5s that you can get down in Oklahoma.

Although tornadoes can occur any month of the year, April, May and June are prime months, so stay safe my friend.

I’m not a storm spotter. I am a police officer who was assigned at that time on May 3rd 99’ to spot the tornado and attempt to clear traffic ahead of it’s projected path.

We have some tornados here in Kansas. Not as bad as Oklahoma recently. The sirens blow often with no resulting tornado. The tornados sneak in under cover of night and wreak havoc on the unsuspecting. Those things are nothing to scoff at. Glad you were unscathed.

I’m not a storm spotter. I am a police officer who was assigned at that time on May 3rd 99’ to spot the tornado and attempt to clear traffic ahead of it’s projected path.

I tried to make a clear distinction between weather spotters and storm chaser. As a police officer, you have enough training to be able to spot the signs of an approaching tornado and warn others of its approach. That makes you a weather spotter.

Storm chasers are people who try to get as close to severe storms as possible without getting killed in the process; not all of them are successful on the last part.

OkieStubble

I tried to make a clear distinction between weather spotters and storm chaser. As a police officer, you have enough training to be able to spot the signs of an approaching tornado and warn others of its approach. That makes you a weather spotter.

Storm chasers are people who try to get as close to severe storms as possible without getting killed in the process; not all of them are successful on the last part.

Yeah, it was a mile and a half wide, with clear skies behind it and it also had a debris cloud about a 1/4 mile wide. And it was chasing me. I had no trouble spotting it.

Top Bottom